Menu

Vote for HS'ing High School

Having an 8th grader and living in an area where it is quite difficult to transition into the high school during the high school years I brought up the idea of whether he wanted to explore attending the public school for high school.

He replied, "NO!"

Me, "You have several friends going to the charter school and xyz private school next year. Their entrance exams are next weekend. You could take the exams and see if you can go there too. Would you like to explore that option?"

He replied, "NO! And if you make me take those exams I won't answer any questions, so I'll flunk them."

:lol:

Me, "Oh, so you really want to be homeschooled through high school?"

"YES!"

Glad to see that he wants to continue to be homeschooled. Now, how to do high school with this child who is SOOOOO different from his brother?

:)Carole

Having an 8th grader and living in an area where it is quite difficult to transition into the high school during the high school years I brought up the idea of whether he wanted to explore attending the public school for high school.

He replied, "NO!"

Me, "You have several friends going to the charter school and xyz private school next year. Their entrance exams are next weekend. You could take the exams and see if you can go there too. Would you like to explore that option?"

He replied, "NO! And if you make me take those exams I won't answer any questions, so I'll flunk them."

:lol:

Me, "Oh, so you really want to be homeschooled through high school?"

"YES!"

Glad to see that he wants to continue to be homeschooled. Now, how to do high school with this child who is SOOOOO different from his brother?

:)Carole

Awesome!!! Mine took a little while to come around.

I have a 10th grade daughter and 11th grade son. About the only thing (educationally) they have in common is an absolute uncompromising determination to be homeschooled.

I used to think my son was shortchanged because he was my 'test' student, but since getting to high school it seems everything takes experimentation for both of them. What works for one usually does NOT work for both. The only subject they in which both thrive with the same curriculum is science -- Jay Wyle's materials are a big hit here.

Blessings

he has no interest in going to school.

I am a little more concerned about homeschooling this one for high school, mostly because his interests are so varied that it's hard to say what he will want to study in college -- and this means that it's hard to figure out a focus for his high school years. I don't see how attending a school would help with this issue, though.

I've been following Nan's discussion about producing more output, because I will need to address that issue soon. Right now, I've opted for accepting slightly less output than I'd like to see in favor of more social opportunities for the boy. I'm not sure how I will balance these things in the next few years.

While I can see some benefits from sending this child to school, I can also see many negatives. Having gone the "high school at home" route with his brother, I know that it can work, and I'm glad he doesn't have the desire to go to a high school.

Brenda

I sat my ds and dh down one day and told them I didn't want to homeschool high school. They both voted me down. LOL

We had a family vote on whether or not to continue homeschoolingwhen dd1 was in 8th and ds1 was in 7th. The vote ened up 3 to 1, with my vote being the only vote for sending the kids to school!

I am SO glad that we homeschooled! By God's grace, the academics did fall in line, but I was amazingly nervous before we started the high school adventure!