Menu

Does anyone NOT like Meaningful Composition?

Mommy7

I've pretty much decided on MC instead of IEW at this point. But, it occurred to me to ask this question before making a final, final decision. I have read almost all positive reviews, so it may be helpful to have the other side of the story.

If you didn't like it, would you mind sharing why?

No flames please [raising hand sheepishly], but me.

Since MC is based on much of the IEW methodology and we have successfully used IEW in the past, I thought it would be a good fit.

However, I found it to have too much writing instruction. :tongue_smilie: While some parents and students may appreciate and/or need the detail, it overwhelmed both myself and my ds.

Additionally, MC did not suit my ds visually, having a smaller type-set and not enough white space. I suppose I was expecting something similar to the Theme-Based books IEW offers.

My 2 cents,

I have to say that I liked it, but I thought it moved a tad bit slow. (just a little though so no biggie… .) I also wanted it to be secular. Besides those two things; I think it’s excellent. I like how the author uses a key word outline method, but also attempts to keep up to par with writing standards that you might find in PS. I love that actually, and she does all of that without pushing kids beyond their ability, or starting them on writing topics before they are ready.

(Uh, yeah, I would also agree with the previous poster. It does lay out every little detail…some could find it annoying. We didn’t need all of it, my dd just ignored the instruction and wrote the paper since she already knew what to do. She was able to do a weeks worth of lessons in one day.)

I have to say that I liked it, but I thought it moved a tad bit slow. (just a little though so no biggie… .) I also wanted it to be secular. Besides those two things; I think it’s excellent. I like how the author uses a key word outline method, but also attempts to keep up to par with writing standards that you might find in PS. I love that actually, and she does all of that without pushing kids beyond their ability, or starting them on writing topics before they are ready.

(Uh, yeah, I would also agree with the previous poster. It does lay out every little detail…some could find it annoying. We didn’t need all of it, my dd just ignored the instruction and wrote the paper since she already knew what to do. She was able to do a weeks worth of lessons in one day.)

How religious is MC? Is it very easy to adapt for secular use, or is the religion a fairly integral part?

Michelle T

How religious is MC? Is it very easy to adapt for secular use, or is the religion a fairly integral part?

Michelle T

I’m sorry I haven’t been here much; I missed this. Yes, I believe you can work around the religion in the program. Did you see the samples? The table of contents should alert you to the religious topics. From what I remember, there was more in some levels than others.

Lovemykids, have you used the upper levels of MC also? I am wondering if they are as easy to use as the younger levels appear.

Also, do you do both semesters of each level? Like level 4 (I) and level 4 (II)? I wasn't sure if I was understanding that correctly. I'm trying to figure out how that would work because I would be using it for remediation purposes with my 7th grader. I wondered how that would work...would I just not ever get to the highest levels or should I skip some in between?

I have left a message with the company, but I haven't heard back yet. I can't email them because for some reason it won't go through when I click on their email thingy.

Lovemykids, have you used the upper levels of MC also? I am wondering if they are as easy to use as the younger levels appear.

Also, do you do both semesters of each level? Like level 4 (I) and level 4 (II)? I wasn't sure if I was understanding that correctly. I'm trying to figure out how that would work because I would be using it for remediation purposes with my 7th grader. I wondered how that would work...would I just not ever get to the highest levels or should I skip some in between?

I have left a message with the company, but I haven't heard back yet. I can't email them because for some reason it won't go through when I click on their email thingy.

I would call the company and ask where to place your 7th grader.

From what I have read you can go either way. Use the first semester the first half of the year or stretch it out for a full year. Same with the second semester. In my 4II 2nd semester it mentioned that you can use these books out of order. I believe you can skip the first semester and start with the second if you think your 7th grader can start there.

I wonder if you can do 4+ this year and 6+ next year....?

4+ & 6+ are for remedial.