Menu

DD wants to switch math curriculum now -- recos needed

My daughter has decided she no longer wants to continue with Saxon math in 9th grade.

Please give me suggestions as to what you would consider switching to? I know that Saxon and MUS are different in their "tracks" so that if we switch to another math curriculum, will I have to drop her backwards a little to catch up to that curriculum's 9th grade level?

Thanks for your help!

Liz

Our experience is that Math U See is not as rigorous as most other curriculum, but teaches the concepts amazingly well. Our daughter finished MUS Algebra and Geometry lessons very quickly and I worried that she wasn't getting enough. However, when she recently took state tests on these subjects, she did very well. Some of the other curriculum is very tedious, requires more work, but doesn't necessarily produce better results.

You don't say where she'll be in Saxon when she discontinues. Will she have finished Algebra I? If so, it shouldn't be hard to switch her into any geometry program.

I'm using Math Relief for Algebra, and probably Jacobs for Geometry (per MFW recommendation). But there are tons of different geometry programs out there. I wouldn't think your student would have any trouble if she's mastered Saxon Algebra I.

Julie

Thanks for your replies. I am going to check out MUS, TT, and a few others you mention as well. She is just starting Alg I and doesn't seem to have any problems grasping the concepts she just wants a different format (this is the child that rearranges her room a couple times a year!!)

I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks!

Liz

I like Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra. My oldest used Jacobs. My middle started off using both Jacobs and Kinetic Books, but then decided that she liked Kinetic Books better. Both are pretty inexpensive.

Jacobs has only Algebra I and Geometry. It is text-based. There is a teacher guide that has the answers, but there isn't a solution manual for Algebra.

Kinetic Books has only Algebra I and Algebra II. They are working on Pre-algebra right now, but that won't help you any since your dd is past that. These programs are computer-based. The practice problems are done on the computer with immediate feedback. The end-of-unit problems are done with pencil&paper. There is an answer key for the odd end-of-unit problems, but no solution manual. The odds are plenty of problems. Sometimes I even assigned every-other-odd.