Menu

PSAT questions

I'm anxiously awaiting PSAT scores. They are normally sent to hsers homes sometime in December is that correct? Have you seen a correlation between normal standardized testing scores and PSAT scores? This ds normally tests in the 98th percentile, so I am hoping for good PSAT scores.

Edited by True Blue

We homeschooled our oldest son through 8th grade. He did very well on standardized tests, also. Although he's in public school now, he took the PSAT last fall and I believe he received his test scores the first week of December. He did qualify as a National Merit Semi-Finalist:), but I don't know if you could say the standardized test scores were an indicator of how he would do on the PSAT or not. My son has some friends who have also done quite well on standardized tests and didn't qualify for National Merit. I hope the results come soon and that he qualifies for a great scholarship:001_smile: Have you tried checking scores on-line at www.collegeboard.com? Sometimes the scores are available on-line before you actually receive them in the mail. We were able to do that with SAT scores this fall.

If your child has done well on other standardized tests, he may do better on the PSAT, too. However, remember that other standardized tests, such as the Stanford Achievement Test, the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, and the CAT-9, are tests that score all students, not just college-bound students. So, the standard for the PSAT may be higher. I know with the Stanford and the ITBS my girls did well, but they were being scored against all other public and private-schooled kids who took the same test. However, my oldest did very well on the PSAT--not National Merit Semifinalist, but a Commended Scholar instead.

The wait can be agonizing, can't it? :)

I did find something about on-line PSAT scores. I've cut and pasted the info below. I don't know if you'll get the paper report before this is available, but it's worth a try. My College QuickStart ?free college planning kit ?PSAT scores online Congratulations on taking an important step towards college and your future career. Your 2009 PSAT/NMSQT results will be available online in mid-December.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/quickstart.html

I did find something about on-line PSAT scores. I've cut and pasted the info below. I don't know if you'll get the paper report before this is available, but it's worth a try. My College QuickStart ?free college planning kit ?PSAT scores online Congratulations on taking an important step towards college and your future career. Your 2009 PSAT/NMSQT results will be available online in mid-December.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/quickstart.html

Thanks, it looks like they will be online mid-December. :001_smile:

If your child has done well on other standardized tests, he may do better on the PSAT, too. However, remember that other standardized tests, such as the Stanford Achievement Test, the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, and the CAT-9, are tests that score all students, not just college-bound students. So, the standard for the PSAT may be higher. I know with the Stanford and the ITBS my girls did well, but they were being scored against all other public and private-schooled kids who took the same test. However, my oldest did very well on the PSAT--not National Merit Semifinalist, but a Commended Scholar instead.

The wait can be agonizing, can't it? :)

Well, this is my first born and he's my brainiac, so I'm really hoping for good scores. :D

Seems like I heard there was a difference between achievement tests (ie, standardized tests like ITBS and Stanford) and aptitude tests. Don't PSAT, SAT, and ACT fall into the latter category? I think that would mean that performance on one type is not necessarily an indicator of performance on the other type. Can anyone confirm that?

Waiting results here, too. But we're soph year testers, so it's not quite as nerve-wracking a wait for us. :tongue_smilie:Hope the suspense ends soon!

In terms of when the scores come, we were moving in mid December last year and I know that the scores came before our movers which was Dec. 8th. My dd was taking it as a 10th grader last year and this year as an 11th grader. We aren't thinking she will be a semi-finalist or a commended but she is set for college expenses courtesy of her father's almost 23 years of military service so we aren't stressing. We just hope to get a good idea of what levels of colleges she should apply to.

We are part of an umbrella that on paper is a private school, without a building or set curriculum. They received his score and quickly forwarded it to us. Very pleased here-he scored far better than he did on practice SAT and PSAT last year. Hoping this may translate to scholarship $$ or admission to his first choice, a very tough school to get into.

About what I expected... my 11th grader, who got a 185 last year in 10th grade, improved to 196 this year. What was amusing is that his 10th grade sister got a 185 this year.

Not good enough for National Merit, but suggests we'll get respectable SAT scores which will hopefully combine with a good GPA to shake loose some scholarship money.

No Finalist here either, but we are please with ds's score. Our junior got a 183 @90th percentile.

Not bad for a little boy who didn't even know the difference between a noun and a verb in 3rd grade when we "brought him home". :001_smile:

That writing portion is still bringing us DOWN. AUGH! What to do...what to do....Hmmmm......We'll just have to think about that, now won't we!

Have a great weekend, ya'll!

Blessings,

Brenda

No Finalist here either, but we are please with ds's score. Our junior got a 183 @90th percentile.

Not bad for a little boy who didn't even know the difference between a noun and a verb in 3rd grade when we "brought him home". :001_smile:

That writing portion is still bringing us DOWN. AUGH! What to do...what to do....Hmmmm......We'll just have to think about that, now won't we!

Have a great weekend, ya'll!

Blessings,

Brenda

Awww. That is great. Yeah, I'm wondering about the writing part, too. Thanks for sharing.

Got ours, too. No Merit Scholar, but not bad scores (192: 64, 63, 65). I was keeping my fingers crossed, but knowing that the medical problems he's experienced since this past summer had really slowed him down, I wasn't too hopeful.

The really strange thing is, though, that the scores are completely flip-flopped from previous tests and practice tests. Looking at the scores, I would never have thought this was my son. His math is always his highest score, writing is always the lowest. So here we have math the lowest and writing the highest. He was scoring upper 60's and low 70's for the math portion and barely breaking 60's for the writing on his practice tests. Go figure....

But his scores put him in the 94th percentile of our state which should be good for some $$$. Would have loved to see what he could do without all the medical issues - but life is like that - the best laid plans...

We got home from vacation today and our scores were in the mail.

My junior scored a respectable 217 which is the 99th percentile. It remains to be seen whether or not it's good enough. The cutoff for CA has been 218 for two of the last 3 years and 217 for the other year. We're praying that this year's cutoff is 217.;)

CA has been 218 for two of the last 3 years and 217 for the other year.

Oh, I would be a nervous wreck! My ds told me that he was hoping that, if he didn't meet the cutoff, that he would be quite a bit below so he wouldn't say, "oh, if only I had studied just a little more!"

Hope your ds is successful and CA's cutoff is lower this year.

Qualifying Scores for the Class of 2010 National Merit Semifinalists:

Alabama 208

Alaska 211

Arizona 210

Arkansas 203

California 218

Colorado 215

Connecticut 218

Delaware 219

District of Columbia 221

Florida 211

Georgia 214

Hawaii 214

Idaho 209

Illinois 214

Indiana 211

Iowa 209

Kansas 211

Kentucky 209

Louisiana 207

Maine 213

Maryland 221

Massachusetts 221

Michigan 209

Minnesota 215

Mississippi 203

Missouri 211

Montana 204

Nebraska 207

Nevada 202

New Hampshire 213

New Jersey 221

New Mexico 208

New York 218

North Carolina 214

North Dakota 202

Ohio 211

Oklahoma 207

Oregon 213

Pennsylvania 214

Rhode Island 217

South Carolina 211

South Dakota 205

Tennessee 213

Texas 216

Utah 206

Vermont 213

Virginia 218

Washington 217

West Virginia 203

Wisconsin 207

Wyoming 201

New England/Mid Atlantic Boarding Schools 221

Commended 201

We are still anxiously awaiting Dd's PSAT results here. Hopefully they are not on the slowwwww boat to Hawaii. ;)

But I wanted to pop in and say how impressed I am with everybody's scores! :hurray: It always makes me happy to see "our" WTM kids achieve. Congrats to all (teachers and students)!

Just got ours today! Was hoping for 90%, and DS scored 91%. :001_smile:

They came. I'm disappointed. Now he's only a sophmore and we did nothing to prepare for the PSAT. He answered every question. Ugh. He got a 162. I'm guessing we need to do some PSAT/SAT study. Do you think that will make a difference? He normally scores in the 98th percentile.

PSAT and standardized testing are totally different experiences. The two scores do not necessarily correlate!

Also having all the math under one's belt at the time of the test makes a big difference, ie. having completed all the geometry. I can't remember if Algebra 2 is on it or not.

PSAT and standardized testing are totally different experiences. The two scores do not necessarily correlate!

Also having all the math under one's belt at the time of the test makes a big difference, ie. having completed all the geometry. I can't remember if Algebra 2 is on it or not.

He has Alg. 1 & Geometry done. He's working on Alg. 2 right now and hasn't struggled at all. He's really good at math. He could use to bring all the scores up, but the writing was the worst.

I haven't told ds about his score. I told him it didn't matter this time around and want to mean it.

Did he know that you get points off for wrong answers? Did he know that the math questions are often a bit tricky and have to be read carefully? Did he know how to answer each kind of question? Those are all things that test-prep might help with. My son didn't understand what he was supposed to do on some of the English questions when we went over them in the practice booklet. I think he would have scored lower if we hadn't. Mine hasn't had any practice at all with standardized tests, so I wanted to make sure he didn't do something like circle the bubbles instead of fill them in.

-Nan

They came. I'm disappointed. Now he's only a sophmore and we did nothing to prepare for the PSAT. He answered every question. Ugh. He got a 162. I'm guessing we need to do some PSAT/SAT study. Do you think that will make a difference? He normally scores in the 98th percentile.

I'll commiserate with ya.:sad:

Ds did not do well. He has not done geometry yet, so his low math score is understandable, but...argh...I was expecting better scores in the other areas.

He has always been in the 90's with the ITBS. At least he's only a sophomore and can pull it together for next year.

I'm hoping this will be a wake-up call for him; his social life has been his focus this year :glare:.

Did he know that you get points off for wrong answers? Did he know that the math questions are often a bit tricky and have to be read carefully? Did he know how to answer each kind of question? Those are all things that test-prep might help with. My son didn't understand what he was supposed to do on some of the English questions when we went over them in the practice booklet. I think he would have scored lower if we hadn't. Mine hasn't had any practice at all with standardized tests, so I wanted to make sure he didn't do something like circle the bubbles instead of fill them in.

-Nan

I went over the PSAT very briefly with him. The person that gave the test told them to answer all the questions, and then later told them not to. This was a private school. Oh, well, he'll be prepared next time. And then we'll live with the scores. :001_smile:

We got our scores yesterday... my feelings are mixed and I have a new problem (ugh!). My sophomore son got 67, 61, 65 (193) which is 94th percentile among juniors and 98th, 93rd, and 98th respectively among sophomores - decent for a first time for reading and writing.

BUT, in math, I have a new problem. On practice tests he always scored in the 70's (700's for SAT practice). On this test he worked too slowly on the first math section (Section 2) and still had 7 problems to go when the proctor started "counting down" - each minute, from 5 minutes till there was no time left. He said he got worried and rushed - and got all 7 of those problems wrong - and all problems before it right. In section 4 he only missed one problem and said he had plenty of time. NOW he's worried about future tests, time, and any proctor jitters... so instead of getting rid of jitters by having him take it as a sophomore, we gained some.

I'm thinking we might be able to get over that before next year by having him take the SAT and ACT this spring? Would y'all agree? I'd hate for him to go into next year's test with these jitters...

Dd, a junior, scored a 203; 66, 69, 68 (97th percentile). Happy with her scores, though she missed the NMSC by 11 points.

Ds took it for the first time as a freshman. Scores reflect room for improvement, definitely, especially in CR, but I was relatively pleased with his math score (50; 72nd percentile as compared to sophomores - not freshmen). But, he has two years for improvment overall. We'll get there.

He has Alg. 1 & Geometry done. He's working on Alg. 2 right now and hasn't struggled at all. He's really good at math. He could use to bring all the scores up, but the writing was the worst.

I haven't told ds about his score. I told him it didn't matter this time around and want to mean it.

You should be able to get the test booklet from the school that administered the test. Then you can go through the right and wrong answers (on the score sheet you got) with your ds so you two can see what he did incorrectly. Figuring out mistakes is a big way to make improvements. When ds#1 first took the PSAT, he scored really poorly in math. I assumed it was my fault, terrible teacher, guilt, guilt, guilt. Then we started to go over what he'd answered and he knew 75% of the ones he'd gotten wrong. He had gotten nervous. We've had to deal with this step-by-step over time and he's improved a lot. His last PSAT math score was about 8 points higher than his first and he didn't have any time to review the math this time because I forgot about the PSAT, barely got him in, and we were out of town just before it. So that was a victory.

I would keep the "doesn't matter" attitude but do use it as a learning experience.

Edited by Laurie4b

Scores arrived this weekend. Good news and bad news.

CR= 65 Writing:52 math: DD didn't take because she's not ready.

I'm pleased with her CR because she is only 13 but I am facing a mountain to get her ready for math. Someone tell me there is a place out there for bright kids in spite of their aversion to math.

IMPORTANT! about the qualifying scores:

That list is the qualifying scores for the students that took the PSAT in October 2008, got their NM semi-finalist notifications this past fall and will graduate from high school this coming May/June. They do not apply with absolute certainty to those that are getting their scores right now.

The qualifying scores may go down, they may stay the same or they may go up --- on a state-by-state basis. Use that list as a sort of ballpark of where your state's cutoff will land this coming fall.

I've been following this process and the associated cutoffs for years. They may go up by as much as 3 points. Or they may go down. Unless your student scored *significantly* above the listed cutoff you will not know for certain whether your junior made the cutoff until next fall (think last August/early September).

HTH,

Jan

Some years back we got my freshman's scores and then it took almost another whole week before my junior's scores arrived. I called the College Board at some point during that waiting period and the person there said that they got mailed out in batches (with no significance to the batches in terms of high/low score, grade level, etc.)

Jan