Menu

Do you clean upstairs to down or the other way around.

My downstairs is much cleaner because I keep it in presentable shape, cleaning it would require someheavy duty work of moving furniture, hauling things to the attic and such. Upstairs is more of a mess because clutter seems to accumulate up here. This is where I do the majority of my living and I can no feel at peace and concentrate when it is a mess. So where do I start? Clean the place that would be the easiest and make the most difference to me or clean the area that would be the hardest but be most noticable to everyone else?

There are quiet a few majar job that could take a day a peace, have to be done soon and I still have to get ready for Christmas. Where to start. I need a plan.

I clean when my relatives come! That way, the guest room and the hall/boys' bathroom gets done--otherwise, it's more of a crapshoot as to when the bedrooms get done (that's the Upstairs in our house, although we have a basement, so technically the first floor could be called upstairs...).

I say do the kitchen, the bathrooms, and the main living area, and then go to the bedrooms and secondary living areas--although with floors, dirt gets dragged from one room to the next, so do all the floors at the same time on the same level.

Does that make sense?

Clean? Clean? What is this 'clean' of which you speak?

There is a vast wave of belongings (clothes, shoes, books, art projects, food, dishes, etc.) which move through my house like the tides. Whenever it is low tide in part of the house (upstairs, downstairs, it doesn't matter) an elf (me) comes and sweeps/dusts/mops/washs up as quickly as possible. Then alas, the wave returns and the clean area, much like a sand-castle, disappears.

I don't clean upstairs at all.

That is entirely taken care of via kid chores.

I do my room, school room, load dishwasher and laundry washer.

I do the seasonal chores like clean out garage or switch clothing from storage for season.

That's it.

Well outside of homeschooling and being mom anyways.

Depends which one is bugging me more or if someone is due to come over. If I am expecting a visitor, such as when our facilitator came I focused on the mainfloor and never really ever got to the upstairs where the bedrooms are (kids rooms are always a mess, and mine is a dumping ground for everything, and also houses tons of books with no shelves, and my computer station with paper work everywhere. In otherwords the upstairs is a disaster. If I am cleaning because the landlord is coming, or I am going to paint a room or because the kids will not stay in bed I start with the upstairs, then move on to the basement then back to the mainfloor. If I am doing normal cleaning, or a visitor who will only see the main floor is coming I start with the mainfloor, then the upstairs then the basement.

If I was in your case I would do the lower level first. It seems like it would be the easiest and quickest, and once done would give you a solid feeling of accomplishment and likely keep you motivated to start on the upstairs. Going the other way, takes more time, and it is easier to feel discouraged when sorting through clutter etc and you may quit before ever getting to the lower level (well that is at least what happens to me often)

Isn't that the reason it is up stairs? So you don't have to clean it because no one is ever going to see it? Just kidding (sort of). It is just bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs and no one but us ever goes up there, except occaisional sleep over friends who love my daughter regardless of what her room loooks like :glare: :D. Everyone is pretty much responsible for their own room and stuff which means my room is always clean and the rest of it is one of those just try not to look or think about it situations.

Ohhh....our upstairs is always is sad, sad little place. Neglected and messy. My kitchen, for the most part, is always clean. I can't stand a dirty kitchen. I guess I can tolerate the mess upstairs because, well, it is upstairs. I don't spend any time up there during the day.

Start where you'll find some peace.

I'll recommend trying Flylady for motivation, but make it work for you.. The daily assignments, room rescues and 19 bag boogies can show great results with very little stress. Each winter or any time before guests, I return to her website for inspiration, but I refuse to wear shoes all the time;).

I keep up with the downstairs better than up for a couple of reasons. It is where the kids do their schoolwork, so I can do things in between helping them; and, I have a greater desire to keep up with that part of the house so it is presentable in case someone stops by.

The upstairs is just the bedrooms and bathrooms, so it really doesn't get too bad because each of the kids keep up with their own rooms. It's mainly the upstairs bathrooms and my bedroom that are the last to get done.

Lisa

I clean the upstairs first because it is easier. We have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, an office and the kids work room upstairs. Cleaning up there is really just a matter of doing the bathrooms, changing sheets, vacuuming and dusting (the kids room has no toys and their work room gets picked up every day).

The downstairs is a lot more work as we have a playroom that spills into the living room and dining room, a bathroom, the kitchen, the laundry room and the kids art room...all of which seem to require a lot of time to clean.