Menu

Best resources for Catholics homeschooling the high school years?

I have a catholic friend who has taken her son out of school during this, his 9th grade year, to school at home. I offered to ask for resource recommendations here on the boards.

I've already mentioned to her Kolbe Academy and Mother of Divine Grace. What others? Of those who offer online classes, are there any that you would NOT recommend for catholics? Any that you highly recommend? She does want him to focus on his strengths which are literature and wiriting.

Thanks so much, everyone! I'll link her to this thread so she can read the answers herself. I sure miss everyone here... been very busy with the theatre group!

Have a great day!!

Robin

Well, some folks really like www.reginacoeli.org I tried them for a while but it felt too restrictive for us; like school at home. I have used www.writeguide.com several times in the past and am planning to use them again next semester for my 17 yo. While this organization is open to all homeschoolers, the owners are Catholic so you can request to have a writing consultant who is also Catholic and can incorporate elements of the faith into your own self-designed writing program. For instance I had my kids write essays on topics of interest to Catholics, like abortion, saints lives and analyzing a movie in light of our faith.

Another great online resource that has just started it up are the online classes at homeschoolconnectionsonline.com

They have all sorts of webinar style classes at that site. My son did a wonderful summer course on Beowulf.

Edited by Faithr
wrong address

Hi, Robin!

A good friend of mine uses Mother of Divine Grace (she has 8 children) and likes the accountability - she has a person on their end who she reports to, etc.

I would find that too restrictive and like to piece together my own materials. The site Love2Learn has many resources - a fun site to dig into and look around:

http://www.love2learn.net/index.html

http://www.classicalliberalarts.com/

(I'd Love responses of how this is.....)

I looked this over last night.... WOW.... I think I might sign up for at least some classes....

Carrie,

I have taken two courses at the CLAA (Grammar 1 and World Chronology). I would *strongly* recommend you (and anyone elso who is interested) spend time at the CLAA forum to get a feel for the atmosphere. The director of the CLAA is very opinionated, not only about education and classics (which I liked) but also on science, child rearing, household chores, food, organising etc. Discussions often turn sour.

I wish I had spend time at the forum before I enrolled, that would have prevented much disappointment :crying:. I have withdrawn from the CLAA.

The courses however are excellent, although not finished at the moment, so when you move fast you have to wait a lot.

We use http://www.greatbooksdiscussions.org/

We are also enrolled in Angelicum Academy.http://www.angelicum.net/

I think that it has been very important to my boys to be in a discussion group for the Classic readings. It helps them finish the reading with a strong desire to understand the readings so they can participate. Just this living interest makes some of the dryer readings bearable. They also are assigned papers and take a oral exam through Great Books. Angelicum publishes study guides with synopsis and questions for all four years.

I am sorry but I would suggest that a Catholic who chooses the Omnibus from Veritas would find some parts objectionable. They have been asked to change some of their material but have, to my knowledge, decided not to. They are just using old anti-catholic arguements from discredited sources. I like a lot of Veritas materials but the work of weeding got to be too much for me.:banghead: