Menu

Where to order higher end chocolate from?

I'm looking for a chirstmas gift for a friend who is a confirmed chocoholic. He's quite happy with Godiva, but I'd like to find something different. When you think chocolate speciality store what do you think?

I'd love to come up with a NYC famous type place, but I'm totally drawing a blank.

One thought is Holstein's which was fairly famous, been around forever and they make all their own ice cream and candy. (I worked there in high school.) The plus factor is that they are more famous now because the final scene of the Soprano's was shot there. While I know he'd get a kick out of, I don't know if I want to drive the hour to Jersey.

Truthfully, I don't really like chocolate. I like it in cake and brownies and mixed in things, but just pieces of chocolate, I don't really really like at all. (They loved having me fill the candy trays when I worked at Holstein's. I was the only one not shoveling in chocolate pieces while back in the candy room filling trays!) So chocolate is sort of out of my element. However from prievous posts, I'm certain there are at least a few chocolate experts on this board!

Somehow I knew there would be answers in this crowd! LOL!

I'll have to check out the two online ones.

I always thougth Lindt was the 'just below/almost as good as' Godiva. But I don't really know.

Does Green and Black have a fancy line, or are they just grocery store chocolate? I certainly don't want him thinking I bought his christmas present in the grocery store! LOL! I know both he and my husband have had the green and black. The orgainic-ness is lost on both of them. I like the idea of it, but them, clueless!

Pick me, pick me! I know this one!

Lake Champlain Chocolates. Absolutely delicious, frequently picked by the Chocolate of the Month Club, and you can order online.

I second this! Love, love, love Lake Champlain chocolates. The Peppermint Crunch bar is to die for.

I'm looking for a chirstmas gift for a friend who is a confirmed chocoholic. He's quite happy with Godiva, but I'd like to find something different. When you think chocolate speciality store what do you think?

Look for a chocolatier, not just a chocolate shop. At a chocolatier, they will make their chocolates on the premises. They usually have a wide variety of fillings and specialty shapes as well.

I suggest that you google Long Island + chocolate and see what you come up with. There are probably several on Long Island. If you don't have success with that, call an upscale hotel and ask the concierge (or better yet, drop by to ask and give him a tip, $5-10 depending on the hotel).