Menu

Any ideas for transporting library books?

I usually check out well over 50 books at a time, and I'm getting kind of tired of lugging them all in the 3 big tote bags that I use. Does anybody know of some kind of bag on wheels or some other cart type thing that would be useful. I don't want something too big that would be hard to maneuver through the libray. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have seen people at our library pulling something that looks like a milk crate with handles. It collapses down when not in use.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Expanding-Folding-Crate-on-Wheels/product-nr_440122

:iagree:Have one of these and love it. It makes our library trips much easier. It will not always fit 50 books, (ex: when some books are large ones.) But I always take a tote or something with me when I know that I am going to be getting that many, and several will be larger in size. Then the tote sits on top and we wheel out to the car. My ds 6 loves to push and pull it around. I'd say if you can afford it, get 2. I am adding one to my curriculum list this year.

There is also this style. http://www.greatfoldingcarts.com/ProductPage3.asp?CategoryID=5 I am still trying to decide which size to purchase. :001_huh:

I have used a backpack on wheels in the past.

Laura

:iagree:

This has worked for us, and is easy to keep in the trunk. You can probably get more books in one of these than a crate, and you will often run across cheap ones on clearance at Wal-Mart if you aren't in a hurry. If you get one with extra pockets on the outside you can easily slide 5-10 more books in there if they aren't too large.

:iagree:Have one of these and love it. It makes our library trips much easier. It will not always fit 50 books, (ex: when some books are large ones.) But I always take a tote or something with me when I know that I am going to be getting that many, and several will be larger in size. Then the tote sits on top and we wheel out to the car. My ds 6 loves to push and pull it around. I'd say if you can afford it, get 2. I am adding one to my curriculum list this year.

There is also this style. http://www.greatfoldingcarts.com/ProductPage3.asp?CategoryID=5 I am still trying to decide which size to purchase. :001_huh:

We have two!!! We love them!

Not to derail the thread, but I have to say how impressed I am that you check out FIFTY books!

Can I just say, WOW?! That's awesome.

And here I thought I was conspicuous--and a little cool, if I'm honest--last week by checking out 6. LOL, now I'm laughing at myself:tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I check out quite a few books- even more when I let the kids come with me, because they keep chucking things in the bags! We can keep the books for 3 weeks, so I go once every 3 weeks. We can go through about 6-7 of certain kinds of books a day, so that would be 126-147 books if we read different ones every day in 3 weeks! I usually have anywhere from 60-70 books at home from the library at any given time. My kids are still little, though, so many of them are picture books and short readers. We read chapter books together, also, and my older ds reads chapter books by himself, so they add up!

I use a luggage cart, and a milk crate. The cart has bungee cords to hold the crate on, and it folds flat (and hangs in the garage) when not in use. I can stack two milk crates on my luggage cart if I need to. I keep the books in the crate at home, so the books are always in one place, and easy to pick up and cart to the library.

I have seen people at our library pulling something that looks like a milk crate with handles. It collapses down when not in use.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Expanding-Folding-Crate-on-Wheels/product-nr_440122

I have one of these and I love it but I found out the last time I went to the library that it definitely has a weight limit. I have had it for years and regularly get more than 25 books without any problems. This past time however, I got 25 rather large books and found out that I had cracked it when I got home. It will still work for light weight stuff but I need to replace it for the heavy trips to the library. I have people stop me all the time and ask where I got mine and I have even seen them in libraries and book stores.

The one I cracked was the large size one. :001_huh:

ditto this - I have one of the folding carts, but I never fold it. I keep it in the front room, by the front door and we keep all the library books there. If I have more books than will comfortably fit in the crate, then I have a tote bag sitting next to the crate.

Our library allows us to have 30 books per library card checked out. I frequently have all 3 of our cards fully booked. lol The librarians run when they see me coming. :blushing:

Not sure if you've purchased yet, but here are some thoughts:

The "Tall Cart" on the site will be very heavy when it is full. Will you be able to pick it up and put it in your car/van/truck?

I have the milk crate sized cart with an apron for extra space - great for keys & water bottles.

I also have a smaller cart. Small is the operative word. The handle is also shorter than is typical, so I have to bend a little to the back when I pull it. My son can pull it fine. I ended up getting the milk crate cart for the space and because of the lower handle.

Edited by TechWife

I use a metal shopping cart, similar to the carts on the link someone else gave but it was only about $20 at Big Lots or something like that. I got another free on freecycle as well. I have noticed many places carrying them. My grandmother (who tends to be much craftier than I) took an old laundry bag and put it in like a liner so items and books wouldn't fall out the holes.

I use a regular zip-up, wheeled suit case, the kind a flight attendant would roll through the airport with, though a cheap one. I think it will hold about 50 books. I've been using the same suitcase for more than 10 years. It's battle scarred, but still rolling. :)