Menu

Pork tenderloin possibilities? I'm in need of some new ideas

We get pork tenderloin at Sam's Club for about $1.50 per pound, so we're eating a lot of it. I'm in need of some new suggestions.

I generally fix it as pulled pork barbecue, or just plain "roast pork." Last night, I served it with cinnamon apples on top.

What else can I do with it?

I was trying to think of some Chinese type dishes (without a ton of sodium, though.)

I prefer non-complicated cooking. I don't mind chopping and sauteeing veges, or making sauces, but I'm not into several step recipes.

Cut slits in it and place a sliver of garlic inside each slit. Sprinkle with McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning and roast. Cover and roast.

This recipe also works well with pork tenderloin:

Teriyaki Steak Marinade

Flank Steak

1 cup beef broth

1/3 cup soy sauce

¾ teaspoons season salt (ie Lawry’s)

¼ cup chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

3 tablespoons lime juice

½ cup brown sugar

Slice flank steak into one inch thick strips lengthwise. Mix together remaining ingredients and marinade meat for several hours. Grill steak strips over hot coals, basting frequently.

This marinade also works well with chicken and pork.

I think I need to head to Sam's. :)

My favorite way to eat pork tenderloin:

Saute equal amounts of chopped onion, celery and bell pepper in olive oil. Sprinkle a generous amount of cajun seasoning in it. (A couple of recipes for cajun seasoning blend here and here.) Cut deep slashes in the top of the tenderloin (just in the top, not all the way through to the sides) and stuff the holes with the sauteed vegetables. Then bake in the oven. The seasonings go all through the meat.

My favorite way to eat pork tenderloin:

Saute equal amounts of chopped onion, celery and bell pepper in olive oil. Sprinkle a generous amount of cajun seasoning in it. (A couple of recipes for cajun seasoning blend here and here.) Cut deep slashes in the top of the tenderloin (just in the top, not all the way through to the sides) and stuff the holes with the sauteed vegetables. Then bake in the oven. The seasonings go all through the meat.

My mom makes this, and it's absolutely delicious. Her recipe is from a Paul Prudhomme cookbook (all his recipes are amazing), and the leftovers make fabulous sandwiches. Yummy!

This is what we do for Thanksgiving since dh doesn't like turkey. The combination of garlic and basil are wonderful. This has become a family tradition every year. Yummy!

4-5 lb pork loin

12 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp. dried basil

1/2 tsp. pepper

3 tbl. oil

3 tbl. vinegar

5 tsp. salt (1 tsp. per pound)

1 lb. bacon

Cut deep slits across the top of the pork loin (fat side should be on the bottom). I usually cut the slits about 1 1/2 inches apart or however thick I want each serving to be. Combine garlic, basil, pepper, oil, vinegar, and salt. Place pork loin in a container and rub marinade over pork loin. Be sure to rub it into the slits. Marinade at least two hours. I prefer over night. Take bacon strips and lay half out on the counter vertically. Place remaining half just above with about a 3-4 inch overlap. Lay pork loin right side up on top of bacon. Wrap bacon across the top of pork loin in a overlapping criss-cross pattern. Gently roll in any remaining marinade so that bacon has marinade on it too. Place in baking dish, cover with foil, and bake at 325 degrees until it is almost done. (I use a meat thermometer for this.) Uncover and bake the last thirty minutes at 375 degrees or until bacon begins to crisp.

Chinese Barbecue Pork:

*pork tenderloin

Sauce:

3 Tbsp hoisin sauce

1/8 tsp. powdered ginger

3 Tbsp. ketchup

2 garlic cloves, sliced

1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice

1 Tbsp. water

1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)

I spray a glass 9X13 pan with Pam and then lay the pork tenderloin in the pan and spoon the sauce over the top. Marinate overnight.

Roast @ 350 degrees for 70 minutes.

Put the pork on another plate and cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Then slice. Serve with hot mustard, toasted sesame seeds, and ketchup.

Here is the recipe for what we just had last night! It's simple and very delicious!

Roast Pork Tenderloin with Teriyaki and Mustard

1/2 cup bottled teriyaki sauce

3 T dry white wine or dry sherry or water (I just use water)

2 T Dijon-style mustard

Preheat oven to 375. In a small bowl, whisk together teriyaki sauce, wine, and mustard. Put pork tenderloins into shallow roasting pan and pour half of the mixture over. Roast 20 minutes. Pour remaining sauce over. Baste with carmelized pan juices. Continue roasting another 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 120 degrees. Remove to a cutting board and let sit 5 minutes before slicing. Drizzle the meat with pan juices before serving.

Make a glaze of Apricot preserves (1/2C), Thyme (1.5 t), & Dijon Mustard (4t). Baste the glaze on the tenderloin while roasting. Amazing.

I have another one that uses molasses and crushed peppercorns, this is my dh's favorite:

3T molasses

3/4 t balsamic vinegar

1/2 t Worcestershire sauce

1 garlic clove, minced

1/5 Pork tenderloin, trimmed

1/2 t salt

2 t coarsely ground black pepper

Combine molasses, vinegar, WS and garlic. Cover tenderloin. Put tenderloin on roasting pan and encrust with salt & pepper. Roast at 400 degrees to an internal temp of 160 (22-25 minutes) Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Both of these are from Weight Watchers cookbooks. Both are company friendly :)

Korean BBQ: Marinade: soy sauce, minced garlic, scallions, some sugar, a little sesame oil and a scoop of sesame seeds, a little lemon juice, and if you can find it, hot pepper paste ("gochu jon" in Korean), or maybe another hot sauce.

The sesame oil is very important. Slice the meat at an angle to get grillable sized pieces, marinate for a few minutes, up to a couple of days, and grill. Serve with steamed rice. This is perfect for lettuce wraps, too. (Use leaf lettuce, and wrap at the table with the rice.)

Chinese Barbecue Pork:

*pork tenderloin

Sauce:

3 Tbsp hoisin sauce

1/8 tsp. powdered ginger

3 Tbsp. ketchup

2 garlic cloves, sliced

1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice

1 Tbsp. water

1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)

I spray a glass 9X13 pan with Pam and then lay the pork tenderloin in the pan and spoon the sauce over the top. Marinate overnight.

Roast @ 350 degrees for 70 minutes.

Put the pork on another plate and cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Then slice. Serve with hot mustard, toasted sesame seeds, and ketchup.

What brand of hoisin sauce do you use? I bought some once that was not so good....

http://www.judiebyrdskitchen.com/

I have seen this show on TV..she made a stuff pork loin that looked fabulous.

If the link is just to the website, find recipes and search for Pork..it is the stuff pork tenderloin recipe. But anything she makes looks fabulous.

I very often slice the loin into chops.......

One recipe I do frequently is brown teh chops and then make a recipe of cheesy potatoes and top with teh chops before baking. Delish and a kid favorite around here.

My mom makes this, and it's absolutely delicious. Her recipe is from a Paul Prudhomme cookbook (all his recipes are amazing), and the leftovers make fabulous sandwiches. Yummy!

Yes, Paul Prudhomme! I was pretty sure it came out of one of his books. It is delicious cold the next day. I bet the sandwiches are good!

pan sear the tenderloin first

one chopped onion and 1 bullion cube dissolved in hot water

(or you can use a can of french onion soup)

1/2 bottle catalina dressing

1 can cranberries

1 clove garlic

throw in the crock pot and seriously--it is awesome! serve over rice with some green beans on the side. our family loves this dish.

Gosh I forgot this one!

One pork loin

one can apple pie filling

one jar bbq sauce

dump into crock pot and forget about it for 6 hours.

Serve over whatever makes sense to you.......I have had rice, mashed potatoes and sometimes buns. This recipe is going round my crop club and everyone loves it and brings it to our pot lucks.

I make this

http://media.photobucket.com/image/bacon%20wrapped%20tenderloin/ROXY_24/ProBBQ/100_1722.jpg

I just use Stove Top pork stuffing, butterfly the tenderloin and stuff it, lay out the string and bacon on a cutting board, set the stuffed tenderloin on top, wrap up the bacon and tie with sting. Bake. It's a lot easier then it looks but I admit, I save it more for company. You get pork tenderloin for $1.50 / lbs!??? Wow.