Menu

Supplementing with Singapore - what do you use?

Mommy22alyns

Do you use just the workbooks, or the "whole nine yards"? Or just IP/CWP? Please share what you use, what your main math program is, and what level your child's at! Thanks! :001_smile:

I use the primary books, the IP books and the CWP. We also do Right Start math, which I consider the primary program. Singapore is our supplement, so I don't worry about it getting "behind". But we have a math focus to our hsing. It is not for everyone. My focus is much more mastery and not where we get long term.

Heather

My dd9 (4th grade) is in PM 3A. I am using the HIG as written - meaning most of the activities - textbook, workbook, and extra practice. This is my non mathy kid.

My ds8 (3rd grade) is almost finished with PM 2A. He's my math whiz. Basically I give him the workbook and if he has a problem we discuss it. Then he's on to the next thing.

We're not supplementing anything right now.

We just use Primary Math - the textbooks and workbooks. We go about half speed through it since we only use it on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We also use the CD-ROM games that correspond, and my kids looooooooooooove those. Our main math program is MUS. We are using Singapore just for the additional ways that they look at things.

My oldest is in 7th grade and is going to start MUS Zeta tomorrow.:001_smile: He is doing Primary 3B.

My 2nd is in 5th and is toward the end of MUS Delta. He also is in Primary 3B.

My 3rd is in 4th and is doing MUS Gamma. She is in Primary 2A, which overall has been really easy for her, but some of the different ways of thinking and looking at things have thrown her for a loop a bit. Good.;)

I administered the placement tests in order to figure out where to put them. I know we won't make it through the entire Primary Math series, but that's fine.

We use the text, workbook, extra practice, intensive practice, word problems, tests, and the CD of games. We also have all of the manipulatives and other math games or extras that I've purchased along the way.

I find the variety keeps it interesting and gives DS more ways to learn the topic or a different/fun way to review.

HTH!

Do you use just the workbooks, or the "whole nine yards"? Or just IP/CWP? Please share what you use, what your main math program is, and what level your child's at! Thanks! :001_smile:

Singapore is our main math program. I currently have one in 5A, one in 3A, and one in 1A. With Singapore we use the textbook, workbook, IP and CWP. We do the corresponding IP section after each workbook section. I like the way it makes them apply each concept beyond what is in the regular books. We start CWP in 1st (whenever the child reaches 1B) and do somewhere between 1-3 problems a day (1 if it's in the challenging section, 2 or 3 in the regular section).

We also supplement with Miquon. It helps us stretch 1A to 3B over K-3, has a few minor topics that Singapore doesn't, and sometimes teaches a concept from a slightly different angle.

HTH

RightStart is our math spine... currently in RS B. We're supplementing w/Singapore Primary Math (U.S. Editions).

Here is our line-up thus far:

Saxon Math K supplemented w/Singapore EB 1A/1B (U.S. Editions)

RightStart Level A supplemented w/Singapore EB 2A/2B (U.S. Editions)

RightStart Level B supplemented w/Singapore PM 1A/1B (U.S. Editions)

We're using Singapore's HIG, TB, WB, IP. We also have the CWPs, but haven't used them yet and will most likely hold off until a later date... maybe over the summer or at the beginning of our next school year.

:001_smile: