Menu

Painting & Colors that go together. . . . if you were painting connecting rooms

one room is the color "dusty olive" by Behr. The connecting sunroom we're considering painting a light yellow and we're toying with a blue/gray color for the adjoining dining, front living room/entrance hallway. But I'm wondering, as I look through catalogs at 3 color combination items if I should be following some of those instead. Like greens, yellows, and reds or greens, browns, blues. KWIM?

Does the trio of colors green, yellow and blue clash?

The trim in my rooms is white as it the ceiling. If you're standing in the sunroom you'd be able to see through all three rooms and colors. And from the front hallway you'd see the three colors plus whatever color (?) we choose going up the stairs to the loft area.

So technically I need a 4th color to blend in too.

Would you put all three colors in the same room? (It doesn't sound like it from their names, but you can never tell!)

My mother was a designer and she would say, choose a color scheme of 3 colors. Use those same colors in all your rooms, but you can vary which is the main color, the main accent, and the minor accent ie a pillow or two, the main color in a painting, a specific accessory). The rooms will all look pulled together that way. She doesn't change paint colors in her home. It's the same throughout (a khaki color). Rather, she changes the color scheme of the fabric used in the rooms. So you don't need to change the paint color, but if you do, do it like that. Three rooms with three totally different colors sounds rather abrupt. A lot of people don't care, but it sounds like you do and would like your house to have the rooms feel "connected."

There would definitely be a blue that would blend--

We did a lot of color in our old house, and we used Lowe's paints, and they were in color families--we ended up with an orange/brown family room, mossy green foyer, and a khaki living room. They blended beautifully because they had the same undertone; they were all visible at once--

When we did the bedrooms, we used the same color family for a lighter khaki and a yellow.

We stuck to the brown/orange/green tones, but there were some blues in that family--more of a turquoisy color.

The Behr website ought to have color families too--

betsy

one room is the color "dusty olive" by Behr. The connecting sunroom we're considering painting a light yellow and we're toying with a blue/gray color for the adjoining dining, front living room/entrance hallway. But I'm wondering, as I look through catalogs at 3 color combination items if I should be following some of those instead. Like greens, yellows, and reds or greens, browns, blues. KWIM?

The trim in my rooms is white as it the ceiling. If you're standing in the sunroom you'd be able to see through all three rooms and colors. And from the front hallway you'd see the three colors plus whatever color (?) we choose going up the stairs to the loft area.

So technically I need a 4th color to blend in too.

I think you could easily make those three colors work together (and I would make the "fourth color" one of these three). If it were me, I'd keep the blue and green colors and use a mocha-ish color for the third. Earthy (sky, grass, soil). But that's me. Right now my "three colors" are red, brown and gold. If you're sitting in my LR you can see these three colors in the different rooms. In fact we just used the gold as our "fourth color" in the extra room we just painted. We love all the color!

dusty olive sounds like a warm-based color, and blue-grey a cooler color. I wouldn't mix warm and cool colors where the rooms will all be seen, I think it might clash.

I'd either stick with just the olive in some rooms and the yellow in others, or if I really wanted a third, I would find a blue with a warm umber to it. I would not do a fourth color, no more than three. And I'd keep the trim the same throughout the entire house.

My house is mainly a buttery yellow, with a soft green in the bedrooms. White trim and ceilings throughout.

Michelle T

Yellow and blue mix to make green so the three colors shoud work together depending on their under tones. I personally am going to have red on the living room walls and the dining room under the chair rail. Above the chair rail will be the same as the kitchen with will either be a light tanish or greenish color. The theme for the kitchen/dining room will be tuscan olives and wine so think those colors. The formal dining room some wallpaper with white or gold foil print (very light like stripes or a jaqucard. I am just not sure to do with the hallways connecting all these spaces.