Menu

New to the Forum

Guest HomeSchooler

Guest HomeSchooler

Hi,

I am new to the forum....and completely overwhelmed...

I have a 3YO and a 1YO and would like to homeschool them...

What are my firsts steps I need to take?

Who do I have to "check in with"....?

I want to do it right...

Any advice?

Thank you!

Edited by HomeSchooler

Hi,

I am new to the forum....

Any advice?

Thank you!

Welcome! I think the first steps *you* should take are to read as much as you can about different philosophies of homeschooling (WTM, LCC, Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, etc, etc) and see which one resonates with you. WTM is a wonderful resource and is the first book I read about homeschooling (when my eldest 2 kids were about your babies' ages). It is the book which cemented the niggling feeling I had that somehow I wanted more and better for my children. Although I use more of an LCC approach, WTM gave me the confidence that I *could* successfully pull off this homeschooling gig.

As for what you can do with your children I'd recommend reading to them...often. Hearing stories will help your kids' brains figure out words and meanings. Also (and this sounds ridiculous, but it is so true) let your kids play -- trains, blocks, Legos, watercolours, crayons, tangrams, puzzles, et al. Take your kids outside and let them play in the mud, pick up the roly-polys, find neat looking leaves and rocks. In other words don't worry about having a formal preschool program. All of the above will help your children immeasurably when the time comes for more "formal" academics.

Above all - have fun! These years pass so quickly. And, again, welcome to the wild and wacky world of homeschooling!!

I'm in a similar boat. What I'm doing is reading as much as possible, so I am well-versed in all the different ways to homeschool and the resources available. I'm trying to come up with a long-term view for education, and right now that takes the form of read-alouds and playing together. As far as who you need to check in with, that depends on your state. You won't need to do anything until they are at required schooling age (usually 5-7 years old, depending on state law). You should look at the HSLDA website for specifics about where you live.

Other than that, these boards are a great place to start. It's confusing at first getting to know all the acronyms and remembering which curriculums are which, but after a while, it starts to pull together. You've got plenty of time before you need to do anything formal. Just learn all you can right now.

Hi,

I want to do it right...

Any advice?

Thank you!

Welcome! Pull up a chair and get comfortable. Read all you can. The parents on this board have a lot to share.

As far as who you "check in with", it depends on your school district. Call them and ask them to send you info. Every state and district is different.

For now, read out loud to your kids. About everything. Enjoy their curiosity about the world around them. Take nature hikes, let them paint, play with building toys, listen to different kinds of music.

Have fun on your journey!

As far as state requirements, you can either look up your state reqs on HSLDA's website or (and what I personally would do) look up your state's homeschool association. They'll have the best and most up-to-date information for your state. Alternately, ask the women/men here about your particular state. I guarantee that someone here lives in your state and can give you the correct information.

I wouldn't ask at the ISD level as school districts may or may not have the correct information. Many school districts, even in good/easy homeschooling states, don't keep up with *state* homeschool regs. I will say that if you happen to live in TX you don't have to do anything or report to/notify anyone if your children have never darkened the door of a public school.

Welcome!

Some great advice has already been given so I'll just tell you what I did when my kids were that age.

Our state did not require any notification until they were old enough to enter k-1st so that was not an issue for us.

We read lots of books, went to play groups, gardens, museums, craft days at the local school supply store, music class, pre-k gymnastics class, etc. There is nothing formal you need to do at this age. Just read all you can and you'll be well prepared when the time comes to start "formal" homeschooling.

Most importantly, have fun!

Welcome to the board! You are in the right place. I stumbled upon this forum when my oldest was 3 as well. I have learned so much from these wise women from just reading and soaking it all in.

I also read lots during the pre-school years. I think it is very important to know what kind ed. philosophy rings true for you. But be prepared! what may resonate with you may not work well for your children (ask me how I know? ;) ) But if you have a knowledge of the other philosophies, you can piece things together to work for both of you.

Guest Cindie2dds
Hi,

I want to do it right...

Any advice?

Thank you!

It depends what state, or even country, you live in. Some states require no reporting ever, some require more communication.

I agree with the other poster about educating yourself during this time about what type of homeschooler you are/want to be. This is the one piece of advice I wish I had been given when I was in your shoes. I thought I was "A" and I'm actually "Z."

Be honest with yourself about what your goals are. There really isn't a "right" after you have the three "Rs" and your state laws covered. After that you need to decide if it is your children's character, academic excellence, artistic experience, or a combination of all of them. What religion do you want to include or exclude? Do you want stay with secular materials so you can introduce your own beliefs, or do you want a Bible-based curriculum? Are you a start early/late, rigorous early/late, etc. Do you want to do your own thing, order a boxed curriculum, or do an online school?

WTM, Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, School at home, etc.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more! :D

Welcome to the journey of a lifetime!! :)

I also started researching and planning when my oldest was three. You're in a good place as far as time goes.

You've already received a ton of great advice on this thread such as checking to see what your state requirements are, researching different philosophies and methods, spending time here on these boards, and reading, reading, reading to your little ones. :)

When I was researching different homeschooling methods, I used the Inter-Library Loan system where if my library didn't have a book I wanted, it would get it from another library. Once I narrowed down my search, I then bought TWTM and anything else I wanted to have my own copy of to mark in and refer to time and again.

Really, you've come to the right place ... the ladies (and a couple of men!) here are great!

Everyone already gave you great advice to read, read, and read some more about hsing philosophies. I found a lot of different books at my local library including WTM and Cathy Duffy's book. Once you have an idea of how you want hsing to look, you can check out different curricula and catalogs. I'd also recommend going to a hs bookfair if it's convenient. I went to one when my oldest was 3 and it was enlightening. It was nice to peruse booths with absolutely no pressure to buy anything. I really learned a lot.

One book I would recommend to read right away is The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. It's a good book to start implementing (if you haven't already) from the beginning.

Lastly, I'd just sit back and read all of the info on these boards. I have learned so much about what really works from this board. There are also a lot of helpful blogs from those who post on this board. It might seem a bit of information overload at first, but it'll get sorted out before you need it.