Menu

Exercise in English and Voyages in English

cylau

Exercises in English is strictly grammar review. Voyages in English is both a grammar and writing program. I currently use the VE grade 1 book along with FLL and don't do the writing portions. The writing follows a traditional PS scope and sequence. I used the Exercises and English with my DD between 3rd and 4th grades as a review of her 3rd grade grammar lessons.

Edited by melmichigan

The 5th grade level for DS. I got an older, used version. I doubt there is that much difference between versions, but they are coming out with a new, 2011 version soon.

While it looks like a good, solid textbook language arts curriculum, it also looks rather boring, with the typical dull writing assignments. I decided to dump it.

Michelle T

We hated Exercises in English. It was one of the grammar options offered by our charter, and I feel that it is designed for classroom use, rather than homeschooling, and it is very dry and boring. There is no "teaching," just review, as the previous poster stated. We liked Easy Grammar better.

We used VIE one year. It's a waste of money, IMO. You pay a lot for a big, glossy, hardcover and don't use half of it. (We were strict followers of WTM at the time - per WTM recommendation, we did not use the writing half of the book).

Exercises In English covers the same grammatical material for much less money. So if you want just the grammar portion of VIE, use Exercises in English. It's basically a workbook, with some grammar explanations at the top of each page.

We were happier when we moved to Easy Grammar. We used this for a year. Their approach to parsing sentences, eliminating prepositional phrases, etc. made grammar more comprehensible and provided a methodology for parsing. Alas, no diagramming in Easy Grammar, and because of the way it is organized, not much ongoing review/practice. It's organized similarly to VIE/Exercises, i.e., a chapter per part of speech. (We used VIE 4th grade, Easy Grammar 5th grade.) So by the time we got a few chapters in, much of the material learned earlier had neither been practiced nor drilled, so it was forgotten.

We are currently using Junior Analytical Grammar and Saxon/Hake Grammar and are very happy with both of them. JAG provides continual review and diagramming. So far, JAG is strictly parsing, diagramming, sentences structures - it is great for that. Saxon/Hake adds in other LA skills - spelling rules, vocabulary, tenses, usage, continual review and practice, and it also includes diagramming. For us they work well together - JAG cuts to the chase and quickly teaches what you need to know for diagramming and understanding structures; Saxon/Hake allows the material to internalize through its more gradual approach and spiral review.

We use IEW and CW for writing.

Thank you, thank you for everyone's reply!

We are currently using MCT language art program. I know many people are very happy with it. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with it. MCT Grammar Island covers 4 levels of analysis: parts of speech, parts of the sentence, phrases and clauses. However, the program doesn't cover topics like capitalization, punctuation, spelling rules etc, and I don't know if MCT will cover it in the future. In the mean time, I feel I need to fill in some holes in my son's language arts program.

I believe VIE or EIE will work for us. I will look into Hake and Junior Analytical Grammar.