Menu

What are must have games and/or accessories for a Wii?

Looks like we are getting a Nintendo Wii for Christmas from my parents. My son will be excited. He has been wanjting one for a while now. I am curious what, in your opinion, are must haves for games and accessories? I have a 9.5 yo boy and 7 yo girl. Oh, and one other thing, my son has a DS. Will he be able to play his DS games on the Wii? Thank you so much. This is all foreign to me

Looks like we are getting a Nintendo Wii for Christmas from my parents. My son will be excited. He has been wanjting one for a while now. I am curious what, in your opinion, are must haves for games and accessories? I have a 9.5 yo boy and 7 yo girl. Oh, and one other thing, my son has a DS. Will he be able to play his DS games on the Wii? Thank you so much. This is all foreign to me
Having at least two WiiMotes and at least two Nunchuks is a must for two or more kids. If your parents bought the basic package with just one WiiMote and Nunchuk, I recommend you get one more of each. I found them for a reasonable price on eBay recently from this seller. (eBay seems to be much lower than the retail price for these items. The prices seem a little higher than what we paid, so you may want to shop around.)

I agree. You need at least two wiimotes and nunchucks. You may want to get a memory card too. Some games can be saved but they require a memory card to save them.

Mario Kart (gamecube) is my kids' favorite game so we are getting them the Wii version this year with an extra steering wheel.

We are also getting the Sports Resort which we think they will like.

The Lego games are very popular too. Both my kids play the Lego Star Wars we got them last year.

Both my kids and I like Dance Dance Revolution. We use it for PE because it is a good cardio workout. We're getting an extra dance mat for Christmas this year so we can play together. My warning is that two of the songs show the music videos (so far...you unlock new songs) which may not be appropriate...depends on your standards. You can't turn the videos off other than to not pick those songs.

My kids like Fit but it isn't their favorite. It requires the balance board. The biggest reason I like having Fit is that we can now buy other games that use the balance board.

If you have football fans, DH loves Madden 09 and plays with DS regularly. He's also found a way to let our 2 year old play football with him.

Note: Wii can play GameCube games but you must have the GameCube controllers. You use the Wii ones to get it started and then the GameCube ones to play.

thank for the suggestions so far. I was looking at all of the games and accessories and I was getting a serious headache. There are so many things and I didn't know what I would need to play things. One thing my son really would like is apparently there is a nerf gun game...I can't seem to find any info about it though. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!