Menu

Could I use WTM with MFW CtG books?

Sweet Home Alabama

I know MFW is a full curriculum, but I want to be sure I introduce lit analysis to pave the way for high school. I've come up with a loose plan that incorporates ideas from Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and WTM/WEM ideas. Will this work?

We would choose a book to read together from MFW bookbasket (maybe also use selected BF Ancient history books w/the teacher's guide) and identify the book's genre. As we read, we would identify/discuss the parts of the story (characters, setting, plot, climax, resolution), and look for ways to discuss: prediction/inference, compare/contrast, cause/effect, main idea/theme, perspective/point-of-view all from DRTHOR.

I would also ask the kids questions about how/if the book is from a Godly perspective or not.... we would identify major Godly characteristics (DRTHOR).

I would follow this using questions from WTM/WEM for discussion.

From WTM, we would use MFW and readers to make outlines and narrations.... the things that are most exciting/interesting. I don't want them to dred this. I would follow this with Figuratively Speaking concepts.... which ever lit terms that would fit the story we read. Following these things we could pick a favorite aspect of the story, make an outline, and write a sample narrative (SWB) and/or use Applying Bloom's Taxonomy for project/evaluation ideas.

I've read many threads about lit analysis and it sounds like the most important thing is just to start. I need a slow start so we won't be overwhelmed, but I definitely want to make sure we have a plan to progress as we approach high school. Using a combination of MFW with DITHOR and WTM/WEM is what looks do-able.

I know this is long....:001_huh: yet I would appreciate feedback.

I do that with many of the MFW books we read, usually the read alouds which we do in the evening and allows for deeper discussions. I find that many of the ideas of WTM work extremely well in the MFW framework. I think that's because MFW really wants their curriculum to be parent led and directed.

In CtG, the author directs you to do narrations on the history reading almost daily and many of the science experiments well. MFW introduces outlining in 1850 to MOD using the Student pages of SOTW.

It sounds to me that you have a workable plan.:001_smile:

It would work, but I also think you might be making more work for yourself than is necessary. MFW incorporates all of those skills you mentioned gradually, adding a bit more each year. Narrations (both oral and written), dictation, copywork, reading and discussing from a biblical perspective... all of that is included on an almost daily basis. The teacher's notes include a lot of discussion topics for the parent to take note of. And since they recommend PLL and ILL for English from 2nd-6th grades, these skills are incorporated there as well.

Then when you get to 7th grade, they recommend using Progeny Press study guides for more detailed lit analysis, but I think you could easily add one or two of those each year, at the appropriate grade level, prior to 7th grade if you wanted.

And as Dawn said, outlining is formally scheduled in 1850-Modern.

Research assignments are included along the way, too, usually more for the older student than younger ones. I think that's one of the benefits of using the variety of resources they've included in each package... so that you're not getting just person's viewpoint without additional detail. Additionally, in Streams (which is used in both CTG and RTR) has comp/study questions and research assignments at the end of each unit, so you could use this for an older student, too. MFW doesn't schedule *all* of Streams -- only certain passages are assigned for either the parent or older student to read and/or summarize -- but if you really want your student doing more LA work than what's already scheduled, you could use this to your advantage.

One thing I've done with my older student at different times is to "assign" her something from Book Basket (usually a biography) and have her write a report/narration about it. I've also had my girls do additional notebooking by selecting some titles from Book Basket, spreading them out on the table, and directing the girls to look through them and find something that they didn't already know about that topic. Then they do a page for their notebook with that information.... their choice. It can be a written summary, an illustration, tracing out of one of the books, a poster, whatever. This is one way that their notebook becomes "personalized". :) I've done this with both history and science topics. Hhmm, I should do it with Bible, too!

For composition, besides the CM methods of writing mentioned above, MFW recommends Writing Strands beginning at about 4th grade. You wouldn't have to use Writing Strands if you like something else for writing, but you can rest assured that a MFW student is well prepared for high school level work without adding a lot of extras. ;) One common complaint with MFW users who end up feeling overwhelmed is often because the parent is trying to do "too much" ... a lot more than is already there, when what's there is quite sufficient over the long term.

You can also search the MFW archives on their message boards, as well as the "Share Your Experiences" threads on the General Board, to see how others are tweaking certain parts that didn't work for them, or just sharing ideas and observations that they discovered along the way. :001_smile:

If you do this:

As we read, we would identify/discuss the parts of the story (characters, setting, plot, climax, resolution), and look for ways to discuss: prediction/inference, compare/contrast, cause/effect, main idea/theme, perspective/point-of-view all from DRTHOR.

This will be superfluous:

I would follow this using questions from WTM/WEM for discussion.

You could certainly use questions from WTM/WEM to identify/discuss the parts of the story. You could even combine the methods into one discussion. (I do this using WTM/WEM and TtC.) Well, I mean, it's your homeschool and you can have two discussions if you like - but I think that the two will be so very similar. My own children would be complaining, "We've already talked about that." YMMV, of course.

I've read many threads about lit analysis and it sounds like the most important thing is just to start. I need a slow start so we won't be overwhelmed, but I definitely want to make sure we have a plan to progress as we approach high school. Using a combination of MFW with DITHOR and WTM/WEM is what looks do-able.

I know this is long....:001_huh: yet I would appreciate feedback.

I would highly recommend SWB's "Great Books: History as Literature" CD. It is *NOT* just for "The Great Books" in high school. She starts with elementary "Great Books" and then walks you through how to talk about books to your logic stage students, starting slowly and working up to high school level. (The great thing being you can definitely use books from MFW or anywhere!)

Thanks, everyone!

Sounds like I'm on the right track. Maybe using WEM with WTM is all I need instead of trying to also use DITHOR. Actually, I just used info on the internet from all of these sources and tried to take the best from each source to make my own checklist.

I failed to mention that I'll be using MFW CtG with kids in grades 7,6, and 2 next year. That's why I'm trying to make sure I am ready for logic ideas since we would only be using MFW year 2 with them which (I think) is geared more toward the younger ages.

I haven't seen the teacher's guide, so I have no idea what books are in the bookbasket or how logic ideas are incorporated. Is there a Progeny Press for any book used in CtG? I really appreciate the comment about how MFW prepares for high school because I have hopes of using them in high school. Also, the cd by SWB about history and great books looks wonderful!

I guess I just need the teacher's guide so I can feel more comfortable about next year.... :001_smile:

I really appreciate your help. Anyone else?

I haven't seen the teacher's guide, so I have no idea what books are in the bookbasket or how logic ideas are incorporated. Is there a Progeny Press for any book used in CtG? I really appreciate the comment about how MFW prepares for high school because I have hopes of using them in high school. Also, the cd by SWB about history and great books looks wonderful!

I guess I just need the teacher's guide so I can feel more comfortable about next year.... :001_smile:

Here's a link to the PP guides that MFW sells... http://www.mfwbooks.com/progenypress/index.htm It's hard to find good "clean" literature for that time period, and even if you were to use DITHOR, those books aren't aligned with the time period you're studying, either. You may just have to choose a piece of literature that you love and run with it.

Here's a link to the PP website for more choices: http://www.progenypress.com/Catalog/productcatalog.html

Here's a link to another booklist that you could use: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/history.htm

OR you could wait until you have the CTG manual in your hands and go through their booklist and lesson plans before deciding on the rest. That would be my recommendation. Don't "assume" that you'll need this or that until you actually have the manual to read through the teacher notes and all that. Remember the other ideas that Dawn and I have shared, too, and be sure to check the MFW forums.

Maybe some other MFW users will chime in soon....

Definitely get the TM, they will walk you through whatever you need to do. I have a 7th grader doing PP guides and they will get your child analyzing literature very quickly.

With the younger ones, look at Writing with Ease by SWB they are terrific for getting early summary and narrations. I use it in conjunction with MFW narrations. The 7th grader should be doing Writing Strand or some other writing program. If you use MFW in the younger years, it should prepare your child for MFW high school.

typing fast with self imposed time limits......

I have 8th and 5th graders in CTG this year.

The 8th grader is using 2 Progeny Press Guides for literature analysis. They don't have to be about the same time frame in history given that it's ancients. We're just using other titles that MFW sells and not worrying that it isn't "ancient literature". I really like the way Progeny Press helps to bring Christian perspective and digging deeper while thinking about the books.

I'm probably repeating what others have said. Several of the logic things in these years and outlining...since you aren't in 1850MOD when MFW uses the outlining activities in SOTW, you can outline readings from Streams of Civilization. Whatever you are using for formal writing may have its own kind of outlining involved. I'm using Writing Strands and see how that helps with this jr. high years.

other things with the logic stage that I'm having my 8th grader do: math is Algebra I this year. using Apologia Science, still letting her enjoy reading books on her own, the notebooking --- well, I have my 8th grader do a little bit more than is scheduled in the manual, and other things, but my time is limited tonight!

Basically, with a jr. high kid in CTG, you need to do something for reading time for all of the academic side of reading. MFW recommends Progeny Press guides and they are good. Also, with book basket, you'll get a variety of titles for information books and fiction too that will relate to history study. I don't test/quiz/do lit analysis on each of those books.

-crystal