Menu

Has anyone had a partial hysterectomy? I have some questions....

I have an EXTREMELY low ferritin count (this is the count of the iron stored in the cells throughout the body). My count is only 29 (was 11) and my Dr. wants to see it at 200-250. Is has gone up 18 pts. in only 2 months! The low iron is caused from my heavy periods. My dr. wants to slow the bleeding down to get the iron up. I have fibroids (not real huge ones) and these are the cause of the problem. I also have pms symptoms ***who doesn't???****** that the drs. would like to address as well. I was given a few options.....

1). Go on a birth control pill that contains progesterone to help slow the bleeding. (I am done having children but am NOT excited about the pharma. synthetic makeup of this drug)

2). Take Prometrium, a bioidentical progesterone pill (will this work????)

3). Have a uterine ablation (has anyone had one of these?) I heard they work but may not last long. Could have to have it done again in 6 months or more.

4). Have only my uterus removed and still take progesterone. What are the pros and cons for having this done....from those who have made this choice?

What other choices are there? I heard of a bood by Dr. John Lee called What Your Dr. Won't Tell You About Menopause. I am going to get it from the library Monday. He was a proponant (sp) for educating women on natural progesterone and help for perimenopausal symptoms. So is Suzanne Summers......

Just want some thoughts and suggestions and real advise.

I did... kept my ovaries and cervix.

I dont regret a thing. I was up and out of the hospital within 2 hours or so of waking from surgery. Pain free, and begging to go home. I did have pain in my shoulder from the gas they fill your chest cavity with during the laparoscopic surgery.

It was a super easy surgery and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I still have all of my hormones since I kept my ovaries. So whatever mood changes you had before the surgery you'll have after.

I had a Hyst because of heavy bleeding and I was prolapsing.

I was 29 when I had it done. (last year)

Why would you still have to take progesterone after you have a hyst? You dont bleed at all after you take out your uterus.

You're talking a supra-cervical hysterectomy, right? I had one done two 1/2 years ago and it was great. Just like Tired Momma, I "feel" no different. Having a supra-cervical hysterectomy leaves everything BUT the uterus which means you get to keep your ovaries, cervix and tubes. They're finding that the cervix gives you a lot of your pleasure (for lack of a better word ;)) and lubrication. You need your ovaries. I was thinking it would be nice to have them take my ovaries, but I have other friends that HAD to have full hysterectomies and they. are. miserable.

As for PMS etc, it's also no different, except the pain. I had HORRIBLE cramps, back pain, nausea, even before the tumor (why I had to have a hysterectomy). Now, I have weird back pain every once in a while, but no cramps and no bowel problems (had those during my period because of my uterus too). No nausea, but I do get crabby :blush:. I am able to manage my crabbiness better because it's the only thing I'm dealing with.

And, as for the ahem, intimacy concerns. . .It's way better. . .BEYOND better. It's amazing how a bad uterus can ruin it, but it did. In the end, I had MAYBE one good week a month. I wasn't a candidate for ablation, but if you're not having anymore children, I don't know why you would bother. It's a bandaid. Like you said, you'd have to have it done again and all my friends who tried it before hysterectomy had to have a hysterectomy in the end anyway.

One more comment, there is a difference between supra-cervical and vaginal hysterectomy so you have to know what you're talking about when you're talking to surgeons. I shopped around for a surgeon and it was apparent who knew and who didn't. One of the surgeons said to me, "Why would you want your cervix?" To which I replied, "It's not the problem, why would you take it?" She gave me a lecture about how nice it would be to not have pap smears anymore. The problem is, if you take the cervix, you have more problems with your pelvic floor collapsing as well as other "issues." In a vaginal hysterectomy, they cut through the vaginal wall to get to the uterus, damaging it and causing more problems in the long run! Supra-cervical is all laprosocpic with about 5 little incisions less than 2 inches long in your stomach area. Only the uterus is taken and everything else is left alone.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm or e-mail me. I have no problem answering all of them.

Blessings!

:grouphug:

Dorinda

Are there any bad side effects from having the uterus taken out? Have you tried HRT? What was the surgery like for you? What is so "great" about having it done? I saw alot of wtm Mom's claiming it is "great". My doctor would be doing the laproscopic removal. I have learned that this is the MUCH better way. I am a little nervous about making this decision. Especially since I have 4 other options. But after much (tirersome) research I am leaning toward taking the uterus out..........I think :) This morning I as I was laying in bed the Lord reminded me that it is He who is making the decision in the end :)

The ladies at wholewoman.org will tell you to leave the uterus. I'm not convinced. It makes sense, but I'm not sure their exercises will help. (Can't afford the dvd, book, etc. now).

The endo abl. has helped with a lot of the issues. The Novasure is good. I think most people are very, very happy with that.

The bioidentical pills don't work as well as the cream. I wouldn't recommend the bcp either. They cause other problems.

Are there any bad side effects from having the uterus taken out? Have you tried HRT? What was the surgery like for you? What is so "great" about having it done? I saw alot of wtm Mom's claiming it is "great". My doctor would be doing the laproscopic removal. I have learned that this is the MUCH better way. I am a little nervous about making this decision. Especially since I have 4 other options. But after much (tirersome) research I am leaning toward taking the uterus out..........I think :) This morning I as I was laying in bed the Lord reminded me that it is He who is making the decision in the end :)

Why would you need HRT? I guess I'm confused as to the problems you're having if the Doc's recommending HRT AFTER Hysterectomy when they're leaving your ovaries? You're doing HRT now to stop or slow the bleeding, right? After your uterus is gone, you won't need it because you will no longer be bleeding:confused:

I know this is a hard decision, but I'm not sure how else to explain why it worked for me and why it was the right decision. Like I said in my pp, all my bad problems are solved, I'm 100% healthy, sex is great/improved, and I have my life back.:grouphug:

Also, Dr's will use the term "Laproscopic" to refer to a vaginal hysterectomy. You need to double check with your Dr and find out if he's doing a vaginal hysterectomy, abdominal, or supra-cervical via laproscopy. That's what I had done.

Here are some links that might help you

http://surgery.about.com/od/proceduresaz/ss/Hysterectomy_4.htm

http://www.laparoscopicsupracervicalhysterectomy.com/

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/conditions/cancer/cervical-cancer/surgery/hysterectomy - this link explains it well. I had the LSH or Laproscopic Surpracervical Hysterectomy NOT the LAVH Laproscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. The Dr did not cut through my vagina or pelvic wall to get to my uterus which is why I healed faster and I don't have any negative side effects.

I know this is overwhelming, but please make sure you understand exactly what your different options are, and what KIND of laproscopic surgery they want to preform on you. As for whether or not to do the ablation first, only you can decide that. Pray about it and once you have the right answer, you'll feel peace. trust me :001_smile:

Blessings!

Dorinda

PS Let me also add, I knew I was unable to have more children BEFORE we ever discovered I had a tumor (fibroid that went crazy) in my uterus. You haven't said this, but is part of your hesitation because you won't be able to have more kids? That's why I have friends that have had ablations done. They knew it wasn't long term, they knew it wouldn't "cure" them, but they weren't ready to say they were done having kids. If that's the case, the other options might be for you. You want to feel peace about your decision, no regrets.:grouphug: - Dorinda

One more thing:D

I'm only 34. I had this done when I was 31. Are you perimenopausal or post menopausal and that's why they're recommending hormone therapy? I'm not on anything because my ovaries function fine and I still have them. If you're older, maybe that's why I'm not understanding your HRT questions

:001_smile:

Dorinda

Well, I did take some good notes from your post to talk to my dr. about, thanks!

The hrt would be for some pms problems I am having, irratibility, anxiety, some depression. But, it could be that all that goes away after the bleeding stops because it may just be caused by my low ferritin levels. The compounding pharmacist I talked with said they (the dr.) would evaluate that in 6 months or so.

Did you have any pms trouble like that that just went away after the surgery?

I'm having a hysterectomy done in January. It will be an old fashioned one, in other words, they will cut my abdomen open like a csection. Recovery time will be long.

But they discovered big problems when they tried the endometriosis ablation. They need to cut me open and have a look.

That said, I was on the pill for 10 years, on a continuous basis. I had a period every 4 months, and it was very light. When not on the pill, I hemorage (sp?) way too heavily. My anemia is also very bad. I was a candidate for a blood transfusion, which I didn't get because blood banks were too low.

Now that I'm 44, I no longer want to be on the pill like that. Game over!

I'm having a hysterectomy done in January. It will be an old fashioned one, in other words, they will cut my abdomen open like a csection. Recovery time will be long.

But they discovered big problems when they tried the endometriosis ablation. They need to cut me open and have a look.

That said, I was on the pill for 10 years, on a continuous basis. I had a period every 4 months, and it was very light. When not on the pill, I hemorage (sp?) way too heavily. My anemia is also very bad. I was a candidate for a blood transfusion, which I didn't get because blood banks were too low.

Now that I'm 44, I no longer want to be on the pill like that. Game over!

Maybe we will be recovering together!!!!! And sharing war stories!

Well, I did take some good notes from your post to talk to my dr. about, thanks!

The hrt would be for some pms problems I am having, irratibility, anxiety, some depression. But, it could be that all that goes away after the bleeding stops because it may just be caused by my low ferritin levels. The compounding pharmacist I talked with said they (the dr.) would evaluate that in 6 months or so.

Did you have any pms trouble like that that just went away after the surgery?

I had problems like that. I think a lot of why they went away (not magically the day after, but within the year) was because of how much my health improved. I was always tired, always achy, ALWAYS sick. Every bug that flew through any group we were ever involved in, I would catch it. Now, I'm sick once or twice a year. Then, I was sick at least once a month. I have more energy and I'm able to manage my stress better because I can exercise on a regular basis. All of that combined has greatly reduced my PMS irritability. Even my dh says it's 100% better;)

HTH!

Dorinda