Menu

Okay, I'm ready for your train wreck Thanksgiving stories!

You know, the "Uncle Ralph drank too much again and Nancy criticized my gravy and the children forgot to say please and thank you and everyone chocked it up to their being 'unsocialized."

Don't misunderstand me, I sincerely WISH each and every one of you a very happy holiday. But since things don't always turn out that way, please share here if they turn out wrong! We will laugh WITH you, not at you, and perhaps it will make things a lot better.

I'm on the west coast so I don't have any stories yet, but stay tuned......

ETA: And if there's already a thread going, just direct me on over to it. I didn't see anything on the first few pages.

Julie

Ohhh!! I'll share mine!!!

We have well water and our pump stopped working at 8:00 in the morning! So I had no water in the house to make Thanksgiving Dinner!! :willy_nilly:

We had to run to Wawa (sort of like 7-Eleven for those who don't have one in your area) and buy 6 gallons of bottled water to use for cooking and cleaning!!

Good times. Good times.

Good thing my husband sells pumps for a living! Of course, the place he buys them from isn't open on Thanksgiving Day, but we're heading out first thing in the morning to buy one.

Some folks will be shopping for gifts on Black Friday...we'll be buying a well pump.

The fun never ends!! :lol:

Ohhh!! I'll share mine!!!

We have well water and our pump stopped working at 8:00 in the morning! So I had no water in the house to make Thanksgiving Dinner!! :willy_nilly:

We had to run to Wawa (sort of like 7-Eleven for those who don't have one in your area) and buy 6 gallons of bottled water to use for cooking and cleaning!!

Good times. Good times.

Good thing my husband sells pumps for a living! Of course, the place he buys them from isn't open on Thanksgiving Day, but we're heading out first thing in the morning to buy one.

Some folks will be shopping for gifts on Black Friday...we'll be buying a well pump.

The fun never ends!! :lol:

That stinks about the water but at least it will be taken care of tomorrow. I can't believe you mentioned Wawa. I'm from Philly where there was a Wawa every 4 blocks. Here in Pittsburgh there are none.

This isn't a train wreck but was funny.

My dad is our family cook and always prepares all holiday meals. Anyway, this year he decided to make his own biscuits rather than buying them (he's not a baker :) ). He picked up a few items from the store.

After spending the morning preparing a great meal he decided to make the biscuits. After a few struggles with a very simple, basic recipe he got the mix made and stuck them in the oven. After the required time he pulled them out and realized they were still very heavy and didn't rise very much. He commented that if we needed an anchor we had 12 to use :)

After a few minutes of thinking he realized that the baking soda he used was probably a little old. I went on a search for it and looked at the can. It expired in Oct 1996. :eek:

Well, let's see...we had dinner with the sick cousin, Ds6 high-5'd her during dinner! Luckily I had hand sanitizer at the table!! LOL That is a whole other story. Sick cousin's dog laid under the table and licked the sock feet of all the guests, great grand baby squealed the entire time, and FIL took pot shots at me the entire dinner for God only knows what reason.

Other that the above, MILs fridge broke this morning, so all of the food, ice, etc had to be moved down to their other fridge. Then, when dinner was over, all of the leftovers had to be carted down stairs to the fridge again.

We were going to have both mashed potatoes and rolls with our meal, despite dh assuring me that one of the two was enough. (Brother and SIL come visit for T-day, so we make all the food except salad due to the length of their drive.)

I started the roll dough proofing. At the right time, I went to get the potatoes and begin peeling. I found about 1/2-3/4 of a pound for 4 adults and two kids. DH assured me that after all, we were having rolls so it was okay to not have potatoes.

I put the rolls in the oven, underneath the pans of turkey breast and ham. 20 minutes later, I smell something funny so I put baby in the bouncy seat by the table, turn around, open the oven and check on the rolls. One corner is black and smoking (only 2/3 of the way through cooking time), so I take them out to figure out what to do. I set the pan on the stove top, close the oven door, and the roll pan explodes, sending shards of glass across the kitchen floor. Praise God, neither I nor the baby was struck.

We didn't have mashed potatoes or rolls for dinner. <sigh>

But we didn't have any trips to the emergency room either!

Thank You, God.

Mama Anna

Well, I "thought" it was going to be a train wreck. . . .

My mom was staying with my ailing Grandma overnight, and she called in a panic this morning b/c there was no food in the house for b'fast, and my mom had a nosebleed that wouldn't stop. We rushed down, to find the nosebleed under control and McD's bags in the kitchen. . . .

The day included time sitting around the table with my 90-year old, terminally ill Grandma, with her telling stories of her times growing up, WWII, and more. Really, really special memories.

Not a train wreck, but started out kinda dismal. Felt under the weather the last several days. Woke up at 2:30 a.m. with a headache that lasted the rest of the night and into the late morning. Headache finally waned, but then bowels started moving...frequently (hope this is not TMI!). I went to the dinner (just me and my sis's family) but didn't get to eat much (so as to avoid more bathroom trips!). But finally as the day is winding down, I finally feel more energy than I have all week. Thought it was going to be a disaster of a day, but, all in all, not too bad.

Not really a train wreck but my water heater stopped working. I had to boil water to do dishes, of course right after I had used so many dishes for the big feast. I'm not sure that I will be able to get a plumber tomorrow so we may be without hot water until sometime next week. We may be boiling water and bathing in a utility washtub pretty soon.

We had a minor train wreck here. DD #2 was asked to make her hubby's fav orite pumpkin dessert.... I gave her the tins of pumpkin, the cake mix, etc.. Oldest DD #1 and her family are here from MN, so we have been at here everyday, all day long, all week. It's a blast, but DD#2 is driving back and forth with a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old, and trying to keep it all straight.

So..yesterday she was going to just bake the dessert here, and the supplies were at her house. Went to the store, and they were out of pumpkin, so she had no choice but to bake it today.

She got up this am and baked it.

About 4pm, we sent home a piece of it with one guest. 2nd piece went to DD's oldest son..3 years old. He took a bite and did the 3 yr old shiver and gave it back to me. Grandma, I don't like pumpkin.

Pretty soon we figured out that DD had put salt in the dessert instead of sugar.

Thankfully we were OK. I had done all the side dishes ahead of time, and I had just told DH that it was almost time to check the turkey. I left it in the oven with the door closed for 30 more minutes just to be sure, and finished dinner on my gas stove. No rolls, but everything else was great.

My neighbor's husband called shortly after it went out to see if we were out too. His poor wife had rolls and pies in the oven!

I love these stories? It's somehow comforting to read about other people's situations or annoying families. LOL.

Let's see. . .The food was good! God is good! My husband and boys were wonderful!

We went to my husband's aunt's house. She made us all hold hands and stand around the buffet table before dinner and say something we were thankful for. Not that it's bad to be thankful, it was just a little unexpected (the holding hands in a circle thing).

Then my husband's parents (who are ALWAYS WAY LATE for everything) were actually on time today. Which is great. But the funny thing was, they stood around complaining for an hour because someone else was late. As if they are always consistently on time or something.

Next, my MIL told me all about their financial difficulties. Which, they waste money right and left, so I never have a clue what to tell them, without being totally offensive (i.e. "Well, maybe if you didn't keep charging up unnecessary things on credit cards, that would help.") So. . I just listened.

Then ALL his relatives consistently kept asking me about my sister and pressing me for details and asking me "how I felt about it" (she has breast cancer). It's like, obviously, it's a personal topic that i am a bit sensitive about right now. . and i don't feel like telling relatives I don't know how I feel about a painful topic.

Let's see. Then his other elderly aunt brought her new boyfriend. And neither me nor DH knew she had a boyfriend. . and let's just say, he was "interesting". But then, so is his aunt, so I guess they're a good match.

But. . hey. . an overall good, tragedy-free Thanksgiving, for which I am thankful!

Train wreck missed here....furnace went critical and had to be replaced yesterday, so pie making had to be delayed due to the necessity of shutting off the water, but otherwise no biggie...

In laws declared a truce..the warring factions decided that faction #1 would have dinner w/their parents today and faction #2 would have leftovers and/or pie w/ parents tomorrow. Being neutral parties, and behind on pie-making, we decided to be traditional and go with the dog-free faction :lol: and enjoyed today.

Dinner itself was hilarious as the older teen nephews served themselves first and were finished before the other 8 people were able to get their plates and sit down. Sounded like their parents hadn't allowed them to have breakfast. Oh, well.

Edited by lgm

Train wreck -free here.

Well, at least on my end...not sure if other folks would have stories. The toddler did spill something on the lace tablecloth, but that didn't matter to me. There may hae been poltical discussions which showed extreme liberalism, & may have offended any conservatives (although the conservatives didn't offend me). As far as I am concered, it seemed like a lovely day!

Edited by LibraryLover

Well, our train wreck was expected, but still not fun. DH's mom has Alzheimer's, and he residence is near a friend who always visits on holidays, soo..... She picked up MIL and they came over. MIL is somewhat clueless about what is going on, including when she is being rude. She talked the whole time DDs played their piano and violins for them. She didn't watch their gymnastics/dance show videos (a whopping 3 minutes, not as bad as it sounds!) which was a real disappointment to them.

THEN we break out the Wii. DH was cleaning up the kitchen, I was sitting with the heating pad on my back, and the girls and our friend were playing Wii games. They were having a blast! She sat there with the most disgusted look on her face. It was beyond boredom or cluelessness. Even the girls wondered why she didn't like the Wii golf. Everybody else did?! :001_huh: Try to explain dementia to an 8 & 5 yr old.

No train wreck, but a mini-Martha Stewart was born today. I am not known for my cooking skills, but as I remind dh it's b/c I don't want to, not b/c I can't. Well he's always been skeptical (he had Bob Evans on speed dial), but today I pulled it off. We usually go out or to someone else's on Thanksgiving, and up until yesterday we were planning to go out. I had an 8 lb turkey in the freezer and cooked it this morning. (I love the internet--anything you need to know is right there). It's actually better accdg to some to cook a turkey frozen. Turned out absolutely delish as did everything else. Made a ton of tasty sides, but did outsource the desserts. I even made a huge batch of turkey noodle soup afterwards. There is so much food in the house, "and I made it." And in all honesty it was world's better than my MIL who everyone thinks is such an amazing cook (she does have her moments, but a moist turkey isn't one of them). I guess I shouldn't be snarky on Thanksgiving.

I'm now planning my roast beast for Christmas....

Laura

by my family's standard it wasn't a train wreck...but it was one for the memory books for sure. my step-dad started a fire in the gutter in front of their house luring the cops and the fire department. oh, and he wrecked my mom's van last night and hid it until after Thanksgiving so as not to ruin her holiday. :glare:

it was interesting to say the least...but the food all turned out quite well!

No train wrecks here. We avoided a really bad one by staying home.

I made an easier menu than usual so I'm not overly harried or tired. I even did some cleaning in between cooking.

Everything was good, except the mediocre gravy packet that came with the turkey breast I made. The family will have pumpkin pie in a bit while I enjoy dairy-free apple pie with coconut ice cream.

Dh made an AMAZNG turkey that was MOIST! My MIL and SIL got here 30 minutes late, at 5:30, even though we called at 3:30 to tell them everything was ready and we'd love for them to come early too. Food was good, but a little dry because of the aforementioned waiting.

After dinner, my 10 yo came to tell me she had smacked her pinky toe on the door frame. She wasn't joking! It was all wonky sticking out. So, off we went to the ER. Doc said she had a "windblown toe" and it was broekn through the growth plate. 2 shots of Lidocaine, a set, and a followup with a doctor next week.

All in all, a minor emegerncy involving no blood, no head wounds, no casts, and no major pain. I just gave her motrin and she's having ice cream for breakfast!

No train wrecks here.

We got 30 very different people together for dinner, including my mother's family and my brother and his family (who are not related to my mother's family.)

One cousin didn't make it because he drank too much at the annual Thanksgiving golf game and passed out in his bed.:001_huh:

The men (and some women) watched football, the kids painted and played, and the women mingled (with some of the men, too - we're not sexist here!)

We came home with 2 fewer children, watched our regular Thurs. shows (CSI and the Mentalist), and now we're having leftovers for breakfast.

There was a downside, though - my father and stepmother in NC went out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving (because we aren't there anymore) and my oldest ds was in NC, too.:crying:

No train wrecks. We had a wonderful day. We sat down to eat lunch, just myself, dh, all my kids except my ds who is in A-stan, and my son's fiance. It was great. While we were eating, our other future daughter-in-law called from New York. She was homesick and all alone. She was able to get a flight and we picked her up at the airport at 5:00. AND we got to talk to my son in A-stan on the phone last night.

I am very thankful that I have a future daughter-in-law that wants to come HERE when she is homesick!

No train wrecks. We had a wonderful day. We sat down to eat lunch, just myself, dh, all my kids except my ds who is in A-stan, and my son's fiance. It was great. While we were eating, our other future daughter-in-law called from New York. She was homesick and all alone. She was able to get a flight and we picked her up at the airport at 5:00. AND we got to talk to my son in A-stan on the phone last night.

I am very thankful that I have a future daughter-in-law that wants to come HERE when she is homesick!

This warmed my heart :001_smile:.

Surprisingly not a train wreck, but it sure started with potential for one!

6:30 husband tells me his horrible heartburn he's had for few days now is killing him. That mixed with some other things, he had me take him to the ER. So I drop him off at the ER and go home with the 7yo. We bake the pie the 7yo had planned to bake while I wait to hear from him and figure out what's going on.

I call FIL and tell him. He was going to meet us at my friend's house in NJ. I tell him I don't know what's going on, or if I'm going there at all and tell him to go eat at his neighbor's house. He calls me back and says neighbor is out of town, what are we doing, I didn't take anything out of the freezer. I send him to the Catskills to his SIL's.

The hospital calls and says they are going to admit him for overnight monitoring and a stress test in the morning. (Had it not been Thanksgiving and people were working, he probably would have been home yesterday.) He gets to his room and calls me. He says bring me some stuff and then go to NJ.

I load everything up. We drive to the hospital. Give him his stuff. He settles in with a book and to relax. We get in the car. It takes 3 hours to go what can usually take 30 minutes. (We had to cross the Throgs Neck and the GW bridge).

Dinner was supposed to start at 4. We got there at 4, but that was okay, as we didn't eat till 6.

The dog ate an entire stick of butter. And part of the wrapper. The dog's name is Lima Bean. Now we call her Lima Bean with Butter. Not my dog so I don't have to walk her when the butter or the wrapper makes it way through.

There were major cooking competitions going on. Two brothers - two turkeys. Sister and SIL - two stuffings. Mashed potatoes and my purple Okinawan sweet potatoes. But the kicker was the dad had made two apple pies. I walked in with the one made by my 7yo. It was piled high with apples and had a beautiful golden crust. Easily a looking like a $20 bakery pie. The dad was worried he was outdone by a 9yo. It was quickly pointed out by many of his children/ILchildren that he's only 7. LOL

Dinner was wonderful and we had a great time. We made it home in an hour and a half (it's usually around an hour-ish). The husband got some rest, read his book and probably had a more relaxing time at the hospital than he would have had at dinner (these are my friend family - meaning they are family, but we aren't related in the least) since he doesn't really know them. He should be taking his stress test now and we'll pick him up this afternoon.

Oh, I forgot something stupid I did. The night before I had the already smoked turkey thawing on the counter in a huge plastic dish pan. I put it in the oven overnight so no marauding cats could help themselves. I knew it was a bad idea when I did it, and sure enough the next morning I turned on the oven before I took it out. I caught it in time though, some plastic had melted but turkey and oven were unharmed.

surprise, no train wreck. My step side of the family can be like a bad talk show, so you never know. Mostly they are annoying or amusing, sometimes alarming.

We had to take a freeway that usually takes 1 hr. 30 min. to get to my mom's house, we were told with the holiday it could take 4 hrs. :tongue_smilie: The only reason we agreed to go out there (usually we go the Sat after Thanksgiving) was because my mom and stepdad are taking a cruise thru Christmas and won't be here, wanted to do gifts on Thanksgiving. Last min. my mom declared she didn't have time to order the gifts so no gifts. But we we already committed to go to dinner now.

freeway only took a little more than 2 hrs. But we got there early. Watching my mom cook is like watching me cook, so the dinner was more than 2 hrs. late. (glad we got the kids McDonalds on the way). I can't manage to make things on time, either, but luckily dh always helps me:D

my grandfather was only mildly annoying. My stepbrother who is a chronic liar was pretty low-keyed, mostly I find him amusing, but he distresses my sister with his lies. No one was drunk that I noticed.

pretty good day!

Oh, I forgot something stupid I did. The night before I had the already smoked turkey thawing on the counter in a huge plastic dish pan. I put it in the oven overnight so no marauding cats could help themselves. I knew it was a bad idea when I did it, and sure enough the next morning I turned on the oven before I took it out. I caught it in time though, some plastic had melted but turkey and oven were unharmed.

That totally sounds like something I would do.

For me, it went pretty well. The only exception was boiling the gravy over the pan while I was trying to thicken it. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time. I always do things like that. Well, 2 hours later I put the carcass in a pot of water and stuff to make broth and a few minutes later my stove was on fire. :001_huh: All I can think is the broth caught fire? My stove might be messed up now. Or rather, my landlord's stove might be messed up now.:glare:

We had a fire too! It's our second one in a month. 20 years of cooking and I've never had a fire. I'm beginning to think our house is possessed!:lol:

We put the bird in last year and it cooked in 3 hours (21 lb bird). We were scrambling to fix everything else! So this year, I put it in at 10 at 475 and an hour later turned it down to 350, and went for a run. I came home and the oven had turned itself off. I mean it SAID it was on but it was stone cold! I had to turn it off (button wise - it's an electronic gas oven), wait a couple of minutes and turn it back on. It. would. not. cook at 350. :confused:Then, I remembered we had the SAME PROBLEM LAST YEAR and that's why the bird cooked so fast! The oven has an internal thermostat and there's so much else going on in the kitchen that it would not stay on unless we had it turned up to 375 or 400. So then, I had to babysit the bird (I never had to do that in my house with the plain old gas oven that had NO ELECTRONICS!):glare:, so I kept checking it every 1/2 hour to make sure the oven was still on and the skin wasn't burning. Then, one of those times my husband sloshed the pan and the juices hit the gas and flames came shooting out of the oven! The bird was unharmed but my dh almost lost all his facial hair. We dumped a bunch of baking soda in the bottom of the oven and it took care of the grease fire, but the smell was horrible. Sob, no yummy turkey smells after that! Only burning baking soda.

5 hours later, the bird was perfect and everything else was too, but I was beat. Give me an old fashioned simple gas stove anytime. These computers just don't like me.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Mamma Ana,

Was your roll dish a Pyrex? I read an email that pyrex are known to explode in the oven. It even happened to my mil.

It happened to me, too, several years ago. What a surprise! Thankfully it exploded in the oven and NOT in my hand. (That happened to a friend -- just as she was taking it out of the oven.)

We found out that we had cooked a chicken instead of a turkey!

We have raised our own chickens and turkeys... some of the turkey hens are kinda small and a few of the chicken roosters were really big...

Anyway, when the bird was close to being done and the kitchen *didn't* smell like turkey, we had it figured out. Too late. So... chicken for Thanksgiving. But no one minded.

Everything else was yummy -- especially the cheesecake that dd and I made together (my first). The cheesecake was my favorite part!

The rooster was a Marans (so -- a meat breed), but it wasn't as big as your cornishes. 56 lbs/3 birds? That's amazing!

The turkeys (hens and toms) were heritage breeds, so they were a bit smaller than the commercial breeds.

Luckily we had joined ds at school on Wednesday for a middle school Thanksgiving celebration (and we had cooked and brought two turkeys to share). So, we *did* have turkey, and it was good, though it was a day early.

:)

Well, we did a birthday dinner last night (ds turned 12). My 9 yo had some sort of allergic reaction to the ice cream (we think). He's allergic to peanuts/tree nuts. So, the night ended up with us in the ER with ds's lips swelled up to twice their normal size!!!

Thanksgiving dinner is tonight. So far so good. Just nervous about the allergies and my poor ds who is REALLY tired today because of the Benadryl.

One rant, if I may. My mom knows about his food allergies. Yet, nearly everything she is serving has nuts or a warning on it. The turkey - she stuffed with onions and celery. She used a knife that I had just used to cut up some almonds. So, no turkey. The bread she bought for the stuffing was manufactured on the same equipment as nuts. Not quite sure what ds is going to eat tonight.

I can't even begin make sense of things. I mean, really, who yells at their 90 yr. mother in fragile health, a mother who's signed out of the assissted living for only 2.5 hours? And this isn't an isolated incident, but par for the course.

Yell, crab, yell, crab...and we all have to keep our mouths shut and shiver & quake in our argyle socks. Pumpkin pie anyone? I was so nervous I just shoved food in my face, a bunch of animal-product food, even though I'm a vegan. ugh...

Now I feel fat, guilty and disappointed bec. I've been trying so hard to get back to my pre-preggo weight. I just ruined 3 months of dieting.

Oh, and who doesn't even notice their new grandbaby the first time they've seen her except to hand her right back to me?

And who doesn't say happy birthday to their other wonderful grandchild who's turning 8 in a few days, a beautiful child you never bother to see, ever?

Plus, I was so upset before we even left our house that I forgot to nurse the baby. A hungry baby in the car for 2 hours. I tried to sit in the back and feed her an emergency bottle of formula, but she kept spitting it out.

But no time to pull over and nurse her....hurry, we have to get there before the grandmother leaves....

Then, I was so stressed at dinner that I forgot *not* to eat onions and peppers bec. they give the baby a tummy ache. Now she's miserable today with a pepper tummy and crying her head off and I feel guilty.

And who says "no" when their daughter asks to come a little early to get settled with the kids after they travelled 2 hours and nurse the baby before the house gets crowded?

Who rants to their daughter about how they spent 2 whole days cleaning the house, a spotless house that hasn't been lived in for months?

The nerve of said daughter for trying to come early! Well, make sure you don't mess that house up!

"And do not, do not bring that cup of coffee into the living room, Grandson-in-law," pipes in the fragile grandmother! "Now, Grandson, blood relative, you can bring in tea, bec. that's lighter than coffee and won't stain the light-colored carpet." What??!!

Then said grandmother expressed concern about the drapes now that she doesn't live there anymore. "My son doesn't leave these drapes open all the time, does he? They're not open all the time are they?" It's a legitimate question and she just wanted to ease her mind. She's *very* suspicious of people and worries that someone might try to break in. No, no, the drapes are just open for the Thanksgiving party, the family reassured her. But the son, oh, the son took the question *very* personally. It was an out-and-out attack on him, his mother never approves of him, she thinks "he's too stupid to come out of the rain!"

Plus, my step-mother, who's only 6.5 years older than I am, looked like a hag with platinum-dyed hair and wrinkly, oily skin. I'm not a fan, but I felt very sorry for her. She looked like she'd been through hell and tried to hide it under grease paint. She and the host of the party (can I really call him my father?) alternated between bickering under their breaths and calling each other "baby" and "dear". Creeeeepy!

And then platinum step-mother dropped hints about babies, though she's nearly menopausal and her dh got the snip 35 years ago and hates kids, which is no secret to anyone. Whenever she said something he snarled, literally. Her pain and desperation was palpable. The tension was unbearable. Their 20th anniversary was a few days ago. And he spent the anniversary cleaning the grandmother's house! Tension, tension.

Then, to top it all off, dear fragile grandmother had to poop and be escorted to the bathroom several times by her super-embarrassed, hyped-up, impatient son before "it would come out," as she announced.

Nothing really happened and yet it was a ***terrible*** day.

My dh was having an allergy/asthma attack in the morning before we left. I didn't want to go, I was just going to say forget the whole thing, which made me feel instatly relieved. But then my brother called and coaxed me to come. I felt i should go for him, so we got ready and went. We got there really late and walked in when everyone was eating.

I'm glad I made the effort, at least for my dear brother. But the baby cried a bunch and I sat in the back room and nursed half the time bec. she was starving and/or overstimulated. I haven't seen my grandmother for a long, long time now, but I hardly got to visit with her at all before she had to go back to her assisted living facility. She hardly got to meet the new baby at all. This grandmother helped raise me, so I'm very sad about the whole situation. She is extremely frail and will not be here for much longer.

I'll just say i'm glad my parents divorced when they did and I now live 2 hours away from a certain side of the family.

Oh, I'll add that i'm very, very thankful for my little brother. Such a good, kind, smart, funny man he's become....what a talent he has for keeping things together.

I'm so glad the day is over, but I feel like I have post-traumatic stress syndrome.

I have a flying phobia, but last night I had the biggest urge to hop on a plane for the first time in my life and go to Sanibel Island.

Edited by CactusPair

Well, our Thanksgiving started not with a train wreck, but a small car wreck. My husband and I took separate cars to church for our church's Thanksgiving service Wed. night, and I was in a near panic when he finally showed up half an hour late. Thankfully, everyone was okay and the car isn't too bad (I think).

The other moment was when we called my 90 year old Grandmother. My son (who has autism) was having a very pleasant conversation with her (I was so proud of him), but then said, "I hope we'll see you soon... if you're still alive then"!!! :o

For a change there were no train wreck moments. The worst thing that happened was I forgot to put out the cranberry sauce.

The day after, however, not so good. We found out today that dh's aunt has stage 4 lung cancer. My dh is leaving on a business trip tomorrow morning. He needs to 100% have his game to launch this new service his company is providing to hopefully move back into the black and relieve some of our money stress. He called his mother to see how her Thanksgiving was and she says "I wasn't going to tell you until you came back from your trip, but since you called...>>>Drop bomb here<<<.

My parents forgot to pick me up at the airport, about 60 minutes after a phone call reminding my dad what time I would be landing. Then they didn't answer any of their phones when I called to say I had landed and was taxiing in to the gate. Nor did they answer their phones after I had deplaned. Or retrieved my check bag. Or spent 15 minutes visiting with a flight attendant I knew. About an hour after I landed, my brother called me to wish me Happy Thanksgiving - he thought I was working that day and wouldn't be in town to celebrate. He left right away to pick me up, making a 45 minute drive in about 25 minutes. When I walked through the front door my dad's jaw dropped and he uttered the unpolite version of "Oh Shoot" LOL.

I totally felt like the kid from Home Alone.

Day was totally uphill from there, though!

Well, the relatives we were supposed to have Thanksgiving with changed their minds w/o much notice, so we stayed home alone (alone with 5 kids ;)) and had leftover birthday dinner. DD turned 12 the day before Thanksgiving. Dh and 4yo dd were sick (not from the food, lol, but from staying at MIL's old house that they are allergic to). Then I found out my 96yo grandmother died that morning. :crying: Strangely enough, despite being lonely and grieving, it was a relaxing, quiet day - something we all needed! So I guess not a train wreck, but definitely NOT what we expected.

We never did get to eat any before they were all inside a coyote's stomach. We had one poor Bourbon Red that survived the first massacre--she thought she was a chicken for a long time...

That's awful! I'm sorry! (I know how it feels. We had a run-in with a Mama Fox and her kits over the spring and lost some stock... and some pets. Sigh. A hard lesson for the kids...)

The turkey that thought she was a chicken? Now that's funny! I can picture that!

Brother's family had warned us a week ago that Brother might have opportunity to do light duty work for overtime wages on Friday, so we all prepared to possibly move Thanksgiving to Saturday at Mom's house. (We had no other plans, so we could be flexible).

No word on which day on Monday. Or Tuesday. Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving), I received an email from sil that the family was sick (no other details) and we would not see them the next day. I sent an email confirming that we would see them Saturday at Mom's.

I made plans to feed my family for the long weekend by defrosting a few things from the freezer and starting a few meals to put in the fridge. (I'll cook a lot for a day or so, then we live out of the microwave).

I unexpectedly had no daycare kids on Wednesday (one sick, one with Grandma), so I took dd2 out for a special day of shopping, lunch, and playing/movie at the library. We got home at suppertime, and Loverboy informed me that my mother had left a message that Brother's family had H1N1 and we would not see them until Christmas. Thanksgiving was on for Thursday (tomorrow morning) again.

After supper, I called my mother to confirm this.

So this meant that I had a lot of cooking to do before bed that night. The squash and sausage for one of dishes I was going to bring were still in the freezer! Thank goodness Loverboy helped. We cooked for 2.5 hours (for both Thanksgiving and the meals that I had started for our own family) to get everything done. Dd2 watched a lot of Scooby Doo in that time!!!

The next day, I had two crying fits before we even left home for my parent house. (I have childhood issues).

I got to hear my dad rant about the trangressings of certain political leaders....things that sounded not right and were easily disproven via a brief internet search once I got home.

Oh, and my dad is cashing out my daughter's college fund. It's only about $5K from my grandmother, and it's invested in the stock market. We would prefer that we ride out the bumps in the market because we will not need it for another 15 YEARS. (She is 2yo, almost 3). In the meantime, the stock market is halfway to recovery from it's plummet a year or so ago, and dd's 529 (our college fund for her started by Loverboy) gained nearly 20% in just the past year. But my father is convinced that cash is the way to go.:mad:

I have no power over this. :mad::mad::mad: Brother and my dad are the executors, and I suspect this decision is because Brother has already started to dip into his sons' portion of the college fund. They have used 1/3rd of their part of the college fund to pay for Kindergarten and half of first grade for their older child to be in a small religious school.

The other moment was when we called my 90 year old Grandmother. My son (who has autism) was having a very pleasant conversation with her (I was so proud of him), but then said, "I hope we'll see you soon... if you're still alive then"!!! :o

Oh my goodness - bless his heart! LOL!

Mamma Ana,

Was your roll dish a Pyrex? I read an email that pyrex are known to explode in the oven. It even happened to my mil.

And tell your dh that is would be a crime NOT to have rolls with mashed potatoes especially on Thanksgiving. ;-)

Really! I had no clue about that. We figured maybe I had loaded the oven wrong and the lack of circulation had created a hot spot that then caused shock to the glass by the temperature change when I removed it from the oven. But this info may influence my replacement of the pan . . .

Thanks!

Mama Anna