Menu

R&S English vs CLP Applications of Grammar

atozmom

Can anyone compare the two? We have Applications of Grammar book 1 that dd will be finishing this year. (8th grade) I have been reading posts about R&S here and see that many have not gone past grade 7 or 8. (At least in the posts I was reading.) I like App. of Grammar ok, but I am not thrilled with it. What level of R&S would you recommended from here? :confused1: :bigear:

The thing I would consider is the writing. I don't think App. of Grammar has as much writing as R&S's English does.

Thanks for the response Ellie.:001_smile: That was one of the reason I liked R&S better. However, we had planned to do writing separate from whatever english/grammar program we choose anyway.

Any thoughts about what level I would start her in with R&S?

Thanks for the response Ellie.:001_smile: That was one of the reason I liked R&S better. However, we had planned to do writing separate from whatever english/grammar program we choose anyway.

Any thoughts about what level I would start her in with R&S?

There's so MUCH writing in R&S's English; I'm thinking it might be better to use something else for grammar rather than try to skip the writing in the R&S text. What about EPS's Stewart English?

There's so MUCH writing in R&S's English; I'm thinking it might be better to use something else for grammar rather than try to skip the writing in the R&S text. What about EPS's Stewart English?

If there is enough writing in R&S, I would be ok just using that. She will definitely be doing writing in History, Science and Bible as well. But this will be for high school, so I wasn't sure if there was enough writing in it to satisfy that portion of her English credit.

If there is enough writing in R&S, I would be ok just using that. She will definitely be doing writing in History, Science and Bible as well. But this will be for high school, so I wasn't sure if there was enough writing in it to satisfy that portion of her English credit.

IMHO, there is *plenty* of writing; the grammar/writing, along with whatever you're using for literature, would definitely make a complete English credit.

IMHO, there is *plenty* of writing; the grammar/writing, along with whatever you're using for literature, would definitely make a complete English credit.

Thanks Ellie. Now I just need to figure out what level to place her in. I did not see a placement test on their website, so I am assuming they do not have one.

Thanks Ellie. Now I just need to figure out what level to place her in. I did not see a placement test on their website, so I am assuming they do not have one.

No placement tests.

She's going into 9th? I'd say "Preparing for Usefulness" (8th), although it might be best to order that and "Building Securely" (7th), so you can review both of them and return Building Securely if you think she's able to do the other. Don't either of you worry that it might be below grade level; if she goes all the way through Communicating Effectively (two books), she'll definitely have high school-level grammar and composition.

• 2 years later...