Menu

shortage on pumpkin pie filling

I guess I must have missed any news about this but I can't find any pumpkin pie filling at any of the stores around here. Apparently there was some kind of crop failure and the manager I spoke to said that he doesn't expect to get anymore pumpkin pie filling for a year! This doesn't affect pre-cooked pies or frozen pies but I needed to make one from scratch. We recently found out dd is gluten intolerant and she loves pumpkin pie. I just found a crust free recipe that I was going to make for tomorrow but I need the pumpkin pie filling. I'm so bummed. She is taking it well but is a little disappointed. I bought her pumpkin pie flavored ice cream but it's just not the same.

There's a pumpkin pie filling shortage, but it's not hard to find canned pumpkin. :confused: Could you find a recipe that starts from canned pumpkin and add the spices yourself?

I couldn't find that either. Maybe everyone is buying it up. I guess I went to the store too late.

Yeah, there was an article about a week ago in our paper that due to the heavy rains, Libby growers weren't able to harvest the pumkins before they rotted. So no pumpkin pie filling and no pumpkin either. Just buy some sweet potatoes, or a butter nut, butter cup, acorn or hubbard squash (other varieties may work too but those are ones I have used). Cook them up, run them through the blender and substitute equally for the pumpkin. Obviously, you will have to use a recipe where you add your own spices but that's not hard to do.

Use a butternut squash. :-) Pumpkin is really a round orange squash anyway, and butternut is a close match in flavor. Halve, seed, bake at 425 for 40-60 minutes, until the flesh is soft, easily pierced with a fork. Remove the rind and puree the flesh. Voila! "Pumpkin" puree.

Or make sweet potato pie. Yum, yum!

Cat

My brother-in-law works at a grocery store in another town. (Why didn't I think of that). Surprisingly they had some. They had been out of it for over two weeks but I guess they got some today. He put some aside for us and my dh is on his way to go pick it up. Thanks for all of your suggestions though. I really appreciate it. My daughter is going to be so happy. I know it is just a small thing but she has been a bit down lately and this will make her day.