Menu

How do you grade?

That depends...

My son is special needs Aspie. He excels in math & science. Has a mild learning disability in writing. Let's take Math as an example.

Daily Work = 25%

Drills = 25%

Tests = 50%

-----------------

Final Grade = 100%

I do not allow any retakes for tests -- grade is based on first attempt. Never had to have him retake a test. (But math is his favorite subject. If I had a child that struggled with it, then I would do retakes.) Drills are practice M-TH and final test is on F. No change to the final grade for that. Daily Work varies as to me, it is more indictive of how he is comprehending. If I see he blows it big on a problem -- of course, I will go over it with him and be sure he understands. I grade it on the second attempt. If he makes a careless or sloppy error (something I KNOW he knows and have nagged to him about this for years now)... I mark it wrong. He sees the error and it really helps him "correct" or double check his work for the next assignment.

When I taught in the classroom and had a student fail a major test with a D or F -- my old policy was to allow a second test to be retaken (different version of the test). The final grade could only go up one letter grade, however. So, a "D" on a test could rise to a "C". That was our classical (charter school) policy. I don't use this policy with my son.

If we use Wordly Wise 3000 as a review, we go over the answers together and discuss. If he has to redo or correct a problem -- I let him. To me, WW3000 is not considered final grade material but a general vocab and comprehension review. WW3000 is a minor part of his overall English grade (categorical weighted) lumped together with many other electic items (Grammar & Vocabulary are 25% of his English grade).

The area my child struggles with is expressive writing and organization -- so I have to take a major Essay and break it down into more manageable chunks. He works with charts to plan his brainstorming ideas, uses assistive technology to type the essay, uses editing skills, and follows a rubric for a grade. I created the rubric based on the grade level I know he is capable of working. Usually a major essay for him takes 2 weeks to work on. (He is getting better in this area.) He will turn it in for a grade and I grade it based on the rubric. I do not allow him to rewrite the essay for a better grade. Essays and Reports are another 25% of his English grade. The rubric shows him what areas he did well on and what areas he needs to work or improve on. His writing skills have improved by using this accomodation method.

Edited by tex-mex

I'm talking more about daily work here, not tests. I think by the time the test comes around, he should know the stuff and the first grade counts. He still has to correct any wrong answers, though. This is supposed to be a learning experience, after all. But I'm not so sure about the daily work. I make hime redo it until it's right even if it takes 10 tries. So what grade should he get? My concern is that if I grade on first attempts his grades will be lower than I'd like, but if I grade on final results, he'll have straight As, which I don't think is an accurate reflection of his abilities.

I make him redo it until it's right even if it takes 10 tries. So what grade should he get? My concern is that if I grade on first attempts his grades will be lower than I'd like, but if I grade on final results, he'll have straight As, which I don't think is an accurate reflection of his abilities.

You're correct... grading him after the 10 attempts is not a true reflection of his ability. Personally, the student should show understanding after 1 (maybe 2) corrections with your guidance. However, if you are making so many attempts in Daily Work -- could the material be too difficult for him? It is okay to change materials midstream as it may be easier for subject matter comprehension. No harm in that.

Edited by tex-mex

You're correct... grading him after the 10 attempts is not a true reflection of his ability. Personally, the student should show understanding after 1 (maybe 2) corrections with your guidance. However, if you are making so many attempts in Daily Work -- could the material be too difficult for him? It is okay to change materials midstream as it may be easier for subject matter comprehension. No harm in that.

Well, it isn't really 10 tries (usually) and I don't think the material is too hard, but he's on the lazy side and sometimes just doesn't bother to think it through. I have to keep my teacher's books at my side at all times, too, or he'll cheat.

I based my grades on the tests and on daily work. If he did the daily work, I gave him the full percentage--I did not take off for mistakes in homework, but had him do most corrections. If there were a ton of mistakes, I'd reteach. He had to make a decent attempt, but I admit, it was subjective. Lots of our stuff was discussion based--most of the time, I had him either write out answers ahead of time to prepare or jot down notes so he could intelligently discuss. I usually did about 20% homework (or discussion), 30% quizzes and 50% tests.

I'm talking more about daily work here, not tests. I think by the time the test comes around, he should know the stuff and the first grade counts. He still has to correct any wrong answers, though. This is supposed to be a learning experience, after all. But I'm not so sure about the daily work. I make hime redo it until it's right even if it takes 10 tries. So what grade should he get? My concern is that if I grade on first attempts his grades will be lower than I'd like, but if I grade on final results, he'll have straight As, which I don't think is an accurate reflection of his abilities.

For math I only grade on chapter reviews, quizzes and tests. Reviews are worth 25%, Quizzes 25%, Tests 50% of overall grade. They have to redo wrong answers and do get partial credit on the reviews and quizzes to up their grade for that review/quiz. For tests... if they earn a A or B... they just redo the problems they got wrong. If they get a C.. they have to redo the chapter sections for the problems they got wrong. If they get below a C... they have to redo the chapters and retest (a different test) and then I average out the tests.

For World History I grade on if they complete the daily short essay question, the chapter quiz, and chapter essay.

For World Literature they read 2-3 books and then do a book report. The choice of reading follows the world history. They will read 10-15 books and complete 5 book reports to earn a full credit in literature.

For English I break the grade down into vocabulary (20%), composition (60%), grammar (10%), critical thinking (10%). For vocab, grammar, critical thinking I give points for completing the workbooks and then a unit quiz on vocab (every 4 lessons). Their composition grade is the main grade for language arts. They do a daily workbook assignment I give points for completion and they have regular essays that count the most for this course.

Math is the only subject I grade this way, but I grade on the first attempt.

I've also dealt w/cheating and lazy first-attempts. One of my boys is particularly lazy and doesn't bother double-checking anything. The way I encourage his best effort on the first attempt is to assign extra work if the first-attempt grade is below a certain % (for him 90%). When it was really bad, he had to do a whole entire extra lesson which he hated, but he only allowed it to happen 2 or 3 times. He's gotten much better, so now he might only do 5 extra problems in addition to correcting the mistakes. (If he only misses 1-2, he doesn't have to correct.)