Menu

Latin Program Suggestions

sted

A lot of us are using Latin Prep with 6th graders. Search for the phrase "Latin Prep" on this board and you'll find many reviews.

Yes, I have two 6th graders (well, only one is actually *mine*, lol) using Latin Prep 3 this year. I think it's a fantastic program and perfect for middle school students.

This fall we began using Getting Started with Latin. It's simple, cheap and no nonsense.

It's designed as a do-it-yourself curriculum, but I find that ds does much better when I go through each day's exercise to check that he really understands what he's doing. This take about 10 minutes, and I'm learning some latin too.

Grade 6 is a great age for Latin Prep, from Galore Park. There are samples on the website, and the books are available with free delivery from bookdepository.co.uk. The learning is efficient and thorough, and the tone is wry. The author has decades of experience of teaching Latin to children of this age.

Best wishes

Laura