Menu

How long before I'm no longer contagious?

I first felt a tickle in my throat a week ago today. I know I caught this bug from EK, who had it last week and is almost over it now. For me, it progressed to a sore throat, then to a tickle & soreness in my chest, and today, I went to the doctor because I've been coughing a lot and I've had a very low grade fever (99 degrees) for a couple of days. Anyway, the doctor diagnosed an upper respiratory infection and presribed 7 days of amoxicillin (to be taken 3 x per day), which I began taking at 4:00 PM this afternoon. So... my question is... will I still be contagious on Thursday? Do I need to stay home from the big family Thanksgiving dinner??? I don't want to compromise anyone's health; my mom & my BIL have breathing problems, and my SIL is 3 months pregnant. What to do? I'm supposed to bring the pumpkin pie! :confused:

You have had this a long time and it sounds like, if you are taking antibiotics, you have a bacterial infection. I would say after taking the abx for 24 hours, you are pretty safe...especially since the virus that started it all has likely ended by now. I think it will be okay, but I would judge it by how you feel come Thursday more than anything else.

BTW, as someone who is dealing with a relative who is totally inconsiderate and who came for Thanksgiving regardless of the fact that she has (probable) H1N1, let me just say how grateful I am to see someone actually considering OTHERS this holiday season!