Menu

Book recs. for patience, grace

It seems like I'm becoming more reflective as I approach a milestone birthday. I'll be turning 40 in February and it seems like as good a time as any to work on the things I'm less than pleased with about myself :glare:.

My mother has some health issues which can manifest in forgetfulness, etc. I am less patient than I should be with her at times :(. I'm also not the best listener in the world (though I *am* married to him:)).

I'm looking for inspiration on how to change my ways and live my life with more patience and grace. It will make me a better daughter, wife, and homeschooling mom. I am a liberal Christian, but book recommendations need not come from a Christian perspective.

TIA!

Even though you are coming from a liberal perspective, I think you could glean much from "The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment" by Jeremiah Burroughs, of the English "Independents" who attended Westminster Assembly. He lived from 1599 - 1646. It is an AMAZING book! The language is not hard to understand, even though written centuries ago.

Have your ever read Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss? Her biography by Sharon James is excellent also.

Links:

http://www.amazon.com/Stepping-Heavenward-Inspirational-ELIZABETH-PRENTISS/dp/1577483421/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Prentiss-More-Love-Thee/dp/0851519261/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Stepping Heavenward is a fictional diary of a young girl's life, written and set in the 1800's, modeled after the character growth of the author. You have to read a lot of it to understand how amazing it is. She matures throughout her life in amazing ways, through the ordinary and extraordinary joys and challenges of life. It is my very favorite book!

Online:

http://books.google.com/books?id=awICAAAAQAAJ&dq=stepping+heavenward&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=L3Xtb0n_IS&sig=Gz8gxdoJlSpENLAri1e7rnXYANU&hl=en&ei=7x0MS_G2B4OXtgew9JThAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

I

I'm looking for inspiration on how to change my ways and live my life with more patience and grace. It will make me a better daughter, wife, and homeschooling mom. I am a liberal Christian, but book recommendations need not come from a Christian perspective.

The book Freedom From the Known is about meeting each situation without "baggage", which makes it less routine or less scary, depending on your baggage. It acknowledges both religious people and non-religious people and does not try to talk you into or out of any specific belief (although I think his goal is less violence and anger in the world).

It helped me address even those I disliked with the politeness I would extend a stranger.