Menu

Math at home while attending ps. Transcript problem, or not?

Perry

We homeschooled dd through 6th grade, and she returned to ps for 7th grade this year. She really hates the ps math curricula and wants to homeschool math through high school, while attending ps full time. She's very good at math and I have no doubt she'll score high on standardized tests. But there wouldn't be any math courses on her transcript. Would that be a problem when applying to college? She plans to major in a science/math field. TIA.

Edited by Perry

I don't think our public school would let us do this. We can take classes at public school, but if we do, we have to issue our own transcript/diploma. I'm pretty sure the school would not issue a diploma unless the student had taken the classes at the school or as a dual-enrolled student at the community college. If the school did let you do it, then perhaps you would have to make your own homeschool transcript which included all the public school courses (with an astrix saying it was taken at public school) and apply to college with that, requesting the public school to send their transcript as well. That is how we did it with community college classes. The transcript would look a little odd, though, because only one subject would be being done at home.

-Nan

Guess I should have looked at the high school student handbook first. :blush:

We can dual enroll, but you can't dual enroll for just one class. Has to be 2 or more. That won't be a problem as long as they allow her to dual enroll and be on the pom squad. That would be a deal breaker for her.

You have to have 30 hours of math to graduate. Each (real) math class counts for 10, and she will get 10 for the geometry class she's taking now, so she'll only need 2 more math classes to graduate. Also, you can test out of classes but you don't receive credit for them, but the requirement is waived. Maybe we can do that.

They do allow dual enrollment for college classes at the community college, but I have heard some not-so-great things about those classes.

Sure would be nice if this extremely affluent well-funded highly regarded district actually TAUGHT MATH! :rant:

Give that g.c. another call. Buried deep deep in the papers they don't want you to have is the official district policy on transferring credit in from correspondence courses. The policy will spell out what grades and how many credits can be transferred in; if they didn't have a limit they'd have some parents duking it out over the fifth decimal place in the quest for valedictorian status.

You could also consider having her do her own thing at home and using the school course for handwriting practice/socialization; then walking up to the math chair before school starts next year and asking for a seat in the course that best matches where she is.