Menu

Story of the World

Retrocutie

This has probably been asked before but, here goes!

I've been looking at Story of the world on Amazon- I was thinking of using it with my son next year- and lets just say that some of the reviews on there are no less than scathing. They keep saying her historical facts are off, she moves events around to prove her points, the text talks down to children and she waxes over important happenings only to focus on things she "thinks" are more interesting to children, the text is over simplified....etc. I could go on!

So, for those who have used it- what did you think?:confused:

We're almost done year 1. I was put off purchasing it due to the reviews on amazon as well. I'm glad we went ahead and got it anyways. DD LOVES it and is learning and retaining a LOT! I think it's just the information she needs for her age level & have never felt that it is "talking down" to her. We use the AG as well and I try to get as many of the supplemental books out from the library that I can.- although, this doesn't mean they all get read :rolleyes: Dd enjoys most of the activities and History is the subject she looks forward to the most. If she had her way we would do 2 chapters of SOTW every day!

You can't cover *everything* in the course of one year. Historians and authors will *always* pick and choose. As far as the simple text the first one is geared to first graders, of course it's simple! Out of 100 reviews there are 67 people who gave it 5 stars, 10 who gave it four, 3 gave it three stars, 13 two stars and 7 gave it one star. One of the reviews that gave it one star complains of myths and legends being included but those are important keys to understanding different cultures. One of the other poor reviews complained that her ADHD child didn't connect with it, I didn't have this problem with my ADHD child. Maybe it's a difference between children or presentation but it's not a flaw in the program. Other complaints include the presentation of Christianity as fact. Something that doesn't bother me as a Christian but I can understand why it would bother someone looking for a secular program.

eta: Children who continue through the WTM rotation will study the period two more times, plenty of time to add clarity and depth.

We have loved it and history is by far the girls' favorite subject. We have made heavy use of the reading recommendations in the Activity Guide, and read between 4-10 books from the library for each chapter. Whether or not the facts are all exactly right doesn't really matter if you read things from several different sources. It's more of a spine, as it's meant to be used: a way to hang everything together. Now we're looking around for where to go now that we're finishing the series.

We have enjoyed SOTW for our history. I have not found it infantile for my 1st grader and a Ker. Quite the opposite- some of it goes over their head. I'm looking at it as a good introduction to history.

Would it be infantile for older children? Maybe, but you can do a lot of supplementing if you use it as a spine.

If you're not sure, you might be able to take a look at your local library. See if it seems right for you.

I highly recommend the Activity Guide to go along with it. We don't do all (or even half) of the recommendations. But when we do, my kids really remember it!

I think I know you from another Forum :001_smile: I didn't know you came here too.

Anyway... I love STOW. I'm very happy with it. I noticed a lot of those same comments. But I've really not been too disappointed with the book. (Besides name me one history book that doesn't have things wrong. There are so many different interpretations of history it isn't even funny. One book can say one thing and another book another thing. I know I've read a lot of history!) I think it's perfect for the grade level. And Xander finds a lot of fun with in. And he's learned so much!

We have enjoyed SOTW. DD listens to the cd's in the car, reads and rereads for fun, her friends come over and end up listening to them while they play. They are great for reading out loud.

Of the four books, all of them are loaned out except the one we're using now.

If more info is needed for people, places, etc.- I use the reading list in the activity book. I know parents who didn't get much history in high school who enjoy reading them. I know parents who do not use the WTM who have purchased them and use them for extra reading material.

As with anything made to cover an eight year span for children there will be those who get picky. Supplemental reading for the older levels is in most cases necessary.

IMHO Essential for a homeschooler's home library!

This has probably been asked before but, here goes!

I've been looking at Story of the world on Amazon- I was thinking of using it with my son next year- and lets just say that some of the reviews on there are no less than scathing. They keep saying her historical facts are off, she moves events around to prove her points, the text talks down to children and she waxes over important happenings only to focus on things she "thinks" are more interesting to children, the text is over simplified....etc. I could go on!

So, for those who have used it- what did you think?:confused:

I had a few things that I would have done differently if I had written the book :lol: But they were small issues, and we still enjoy the audios. Stuff like Alexander the Great's kingdom being split into 3 (which has archaeological support) instead of the Biblical 4. You can say she just skipped the part (till later when the kids are older) where it was split into 4, and one took over one of the others leaving 3.

Heather

Wow, I must be a complete idiot. I've really liked all of them. I've been particularly impressed by III and IV, covering modern history and the US in particular. I feel as if I've learned a ton. In fact, I've been impressed by some lesser known info that she's brought out.

We read from a large variety of authors so don't read SOTW exclusively on anything. Not only have I found that all the other things I've read corroborate what she's said in SOTW, but I've even found mention of some of the lesser known things that I'd never heard of before (can't think of a specific example right now).

World history is much, much too broad to be able to cover every important detail in any one year study, even if you study nothing but history all day long. We will take a different course and perhaps add in or substitute outright some topics next time around, in logic stage, and if my son stays home for high school, he'll be covering fewer topics but in more detail. You always have to pick and choose. I've found nothing lacking in terms of what we've studied thus far, at a time in life when many children are learning about the postman and mailman. I find it to be a sound program.

I have no idea what about the books would merit such harsh criticism, but I'll try to find the info and look at it, myself,

Regena

We're coming close to finishing SOTW 2, & I love it as well. Now, I get overwhelmed w/ too many choices, so since reading WTM (& trying her orig suggestions, lol), I haven't looked at anything else.

I have a friend who prefers something *more* Christian, so that complaint can go both ways.

And ITA that w the hist cycle, you'll come back through. Anything that might be missed can be hit again. Imagine how overwhelming to cover EVERYTHING w a 6yo!

HTH!

Phew! Thanks for your responses, ladies! I was really surprised to read the reviews there since I had read WTM and heard many people sing it's praises. I did look at our local library and they didn't have it so I guess I'm either going to have to jump in with both feet or wait until I can maybe find it at a curriculum fair somewhere.

Just curious, for those who are beyond the grammar stage history, what did you go on to after this series?

Phew! Thanks for your responses, ladies! I was really surprised to read the reviews there since I had read WTM and heard many people sing it's praises. I did look at our local library and they didn't have it so I guess I'm either going to have to jump in with both feet or wait until I can maybe find it at a curriculum fair somewhere.

Just curious, for those who are beyond the grammar stage history, what did you go on to after this series?

History Odyssey

Here's my review:

We used Story of the World volume 1 through 4 starting in 2nd grade. I thoroughly enjoyed this curriculum. Honestly, the best part of this curriculum is learning history myself for the first time. I used to say that history was my weakest subject. I learned more in my son’s first year than I learned in my entire school career. I feel so good knowing that my son is being presented with history in a logical, engaging, and painless way. This curriculum allowed a history-ignorant mom to give her child a great introduction to world history and a love and enthusiasm for history as well.

The readings are perfect for early elementary age – not too simple and not too difficult. The activity guide is a priceless resource, and we used every bit of it. That is what made the program so rich. Ds used the coloring pages while I read. We used the review questions usually verbally, but one year, I used the review questions to give my son practice in writing complete sentences. Doing narration and summary paragraphs helped with writing, although this was my son’s least favorite part. The map work was helpful. We borrowed many of the supplemental books from the library. We even read most of them. The activities and projects were fun and really helped to bring history alive and be remembered. We met with other families 2x a month to work on projects. Besides gathering the library books and project supplies, there really is no other preparation needed.

For some people, this curriculum is too secular. For some people, this curriculum is too Christian. I prefer secular resources, and I thought SWB did a great job of introducing the different world religions in an unbiased manner.

I highly recommend this program. It spoiled me. My only complaint is that that there is no similar program for logic age.

This is great to know since I definitely consider myself...um...how do I say it...History Dumb! :lol: Sometimes Dh will mention things to me, like didn't you learn this? And all I can do is :001_huh:stare dumbly at him! haha! I'm sure I heard about it at one point or another but don't ask me to tell you anything about it! Anyways, I'm so excited to learn history right along with DS. I can't wait to start now!

Here's my review:

We used Story of the World volume 1 through 4 starting in 2nd grade. I thoroughly enjoyed this curriculum. Honestly, the best part of this curriculum is learning history myself for the first time. I used to say that history was my weakest subject. I learned more in my son’s first year than I learned in my entire school career. I feel so good knowing that my son is being presented with history in a logical, engaging, and painless way. This curriculum allowed a history-ignorant mom to give her child a great introduction to world history and a love and enthusiasm for history as well.

The readings are perfect for early elementary age – not too simple and not too difficult. The activity guide is a priceless resource, and we used every bit of it. That is what made the program so rich. Ds used the coloring pages while I read. We used the review questions usually verbally, but one year, I used the review questions to give my son practice in writing complete sentences. Doing narration and summary paragraphs helped with writing, although this was my son’s least favorite part. The map work was helpful. We borrowed many of the supplemental books from the library. We even read most of them. The activities and projects were fun and really helped to bring history alive and be remembered. We met with other families 2x a month to work on projects. Besides gathering the library books and project supplies, there really is no other preparation needed.

For some people, this curriculum is too secular. For some people, this curriculum is too Christian. I prefer secular resources, and I thought SWB did a great job of introducing the different world religions in an unbiased manner.

I highly recommend this program. It spoiled me. My only complaint is that that there is no similar program for logic age.

Great response!! I totally agree. We loved all 4 volumes of SOTW and I credit them with giving my kids a great love of history!!

We're in the middle of SOTW 2. I don't think it "talks down" to kids necessarily, my kids (2, 6 and 10) enjoy it. I do disagree with some of the portrayals in there, and I disagree with some of the things she states as facts, but there's no bibliography or footnotes so you can't really see where she got it from, kwim?

But anyway, I have issues with just about any history book I read, whoever wrote it, I guess I'm just cantankerous. We use SOTW as a spine, not as our sole resource.. and I make sure I read through it before I read it to my kids, and I make edits as I feel needed. My copy of vol 2 has pencil marks all over some chapters :blink:

Sometimes I feel like Amazon reviews are like little cliques who either really love or really hate a book, and sometimes you can tell they are driven more by agendas than honest reviews of a book. Not saying that is necessarily the case here, but I wouldn't get too flustered about it, if everything else you've read about a book is generally positive.

Of course, the best thing would be if you could borrow a copy from the library and decide for yourself!

We are another family who are just finishing up the first cycle of history with using SOTW all the way through. We love it! I have learned so much and my dd is remembering stories about certain people and that is what I want in this stage of the game.

You asked about what we were planning to use the next time around. With my oldest, I think I will be using Guerber's Story of... books as well as Truthquest. With my two youngest, I will be using SOTW.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

I'm going to jump in here -probably at great peril. Some of the reviews at Amazon are a bit intense for a lack of a better word. Some are more moderate. Personally, I did not care for vol 1. I did not like the use of fiction and fable mixed so seamlessly with fact. There are so many real life events to draw from, I dont understand why she has to use make believe. I used SOTW vol 2 this year along with lots of other sources. And like another poster stated, I also have to edit and there are several places where lots and lots of lines are drawn through. My dh is a history major and this time period of vol 2 is a special interest to him. He has some issue with several things in the text. He is especially uncomfortable since there are not references or footnotes. We have discussed history at great length and we have decided not to use SOTW vol 3 as a spine next year. If MOH vol 3 is not out, I might have to use it like I did this year - with lots of additional references and spending way more time than I actually have, to put together a lesson plan.