Menu

Recommendation for young readers

My daugher is reading on a 1st-2nd grade reading level and we are looking for books that she can read that she doesn't think are scary! Magic Treehouse book are a bit much, abridged versions of Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, and even Beauty and the Beast are a bit too scary for her too. She doesn't like Captain Hook, Sher Khan, or the Beast! Hmmm..any thoughts on some nice, pure books that she can read and really enjoy without the element of conflict and "bad guys"?

(I know it is tough, because most books are focused on a conflict of some sort--that whole man vs man, man vs nature, man vs himself business)

TIA!

How about Young Cam Jansen books? I think the Cam Jansen series itself may be 2nd /3rd grade reading level, not sure... but the "Young" Cam Jansen series is probably at about 1st/2nd.

There's also Puppy Place books. They're about early 2nd grade and were a big hit over here.

I agree with Clyde Bulla. My kids LOVE his books. (Check out the readers listed on sonlight.com's website for grade 2.)

Boxcar Children is written at a higher reading level, but it would be a great read aloud. Keep in mind that the children are orphans and that is discussed in the first book in the series (might be upsetting for younger listeners).

When she gets to about a 3rd/4th grade reading level she might like Animal Ark series by Ben Baglio. My dd is just WILD about them and there are TONS. I think the author did a "Pet" series with the same main characters that is written at about a 2nd grade reading level, as well.

Have fun!

My daugher is reading on a 1st-2nd grade reading level and we are looking for books that she can read that she doesn't think are scary! Magic Treehouse book are a bit much, abridged versions of Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, and even Beauty and the Beast are a bit too scary for her too. She doesn't like Captain Hook, Sher Khan, or the Beast! Hmmm..any thoughts on some nice, pure books that she can read and really enjoy without the element of conflict and "bad guys"?

(I know it is tough, because most books are focused on a conflict of some sort--that whole man vs man, man vs nature, man vs himself business)

TIA!

Arnold Lobel

Henry and Mudge series by Cynthia Rylant

Mr. Putter and Tabby series by Cynthia Rylant

Young Cam Jansen series

Babar series by Laurent de Brunhof

Adventures of Benny and Watch

some of Mercer Mayer

Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Robert Munsch

The Littles First Readers

a little bit higher level