Menu

Phonics Road and/or Latin Road Roll Call please!

johnandtinagilbert

We are very happy with it. We are using PR Level one and are on week 11. My dc are 8yr. & 9yrs.

I do have a question; since my dc are a older using it, do I need to add any grammar or writing?

I know level one was really meant to start in K/1st.

Blessings,

Edited by Homeschooling6
spelling correction

Still using it here. I lost the 1st DVD and am at a loss though as to what I am doing with Lessons 5-12 or so. Can anybody tell me what/how to teach lessons 5 through where 2nd DVD comes in? We put it aside for a while in favor of AAS but I'd like to pick it back up b/c I'd like ds8 to use Latin Road. Help? Thanks!

What do you all use (if anything) in addition to Phonics Road Level One (for K/1st)? The boys are just beginning with it, so we still pull out our older resources from time to time (OPG, ETC, WWE, HWT, etc). How much of this is beneficial to continue as we get deeper into PR? I really want "Language Arts" to be integrated and holistic; pulling a program together piecemeal was not satisfying to me, hence the switch to PR.

What do you all use (if anything) in addition to Phonics Road Level One (for K/1st)? The boys are just beginning with it, so we still pull out our older resources from time to time (OPG, ETC, WWE, HWT, etc). How much of this is beneficial to continue as we get deeper into PR? I really want "Language Arts" to be integrated and holistic; pulling a program together piecemeal was not satisfying to me, hence the switch to PR.

I'm using this with my 8yr. old and I am not adding in anything else at this point. My other son is 9yrs. old so I'm adding in CQLA but I might drop it.

PR has grammar, spelling, composition and is pretty full on it's own.

I also use WWE 1 with PR Level K/1. I haven't seen copywork and narration used specifically in PR yet (we are starting week 15 after thanksgiving). I think it is a nice combo, WWE is quick and easy and my son really likes it and asks for it. I'm just going to take it year by year, but I will probably drop it next year and just keep narration going through history. Hope this helps. :)

Can I ask you why you use the other LA stuff for your 5 year old? Just wondering.

We are slowly working through the easier phonograms, but I decided to wait until first grade to start with her. She's just not ready yet. We already had been lightly using what I already had for reading so we're continuing with that for now. I didn't want to stop reading instruction until she was ready for PR, so we'll just keep chugging along this year with what we have and then start PR next.

Blessings,

Lisa

I haven't found a need to supplement LA any further, but we also include science, math, history into our day. On second thought, I do use spellingcity.com for fun with the current spelling list.

I also use WWE 1 with PR Level K/1. I haven't seen copywork and narration used specifically in PR yet (we are starting week 15 after thanksgiving). I think it is a nice combo, WWE is quick and easy and my son really likes it and asks for it. I'm just going to take it year by year, but I will probably drop it next year and just keep narration going through history. Hope this helps. :)
Once you get to using spelling words, I believe, or at least remember having the children create sentences using 2 of 4 spelling words, then I'd dictate or write on the board for dication and/or copywork. After doing well through year 1, there is much dictation added in year 2 :)