Menu

Hi, my ten year old has completed EPGY Precalculus with Trigonometry and every other EPGY math course that they offer. He has also done up to grade ten in vocabulary workbooks with me at home (and up to grade 7 with EPGY language arts). We home school because he is quite talented in music and sports yet we want him to have a transcript. I would like to know if anyone has any advice as to where we can go on in math. Do we go on with the EPGY geometry course or does anyone have experience in this regard?

Thanks.

Hi, my ten year old has completed EPGY Precalculus with Trigonometry and every other EPGY math course that they offer. He has also done up to grade ten in vocabulary workbooks with me at home (and up to grade 7 with EPGY language arts). We home school because he is quite talented in music and sports yet we want him to have a transcript. I would like to know if anyone has any advice as to where we can go on in math. Do we go on with the EPGY geometry course or does anyone have experience in this regard?

Thanks.

Couple of questions.......

Did he not do geometry already in an algs/geo/trig/pre-cal sequence? :confused: I'm not sure how you do trig w/o geometry unless he just memorized the formulas. That would mean that he has not covered proofs.

Second......what do you mean you want him to have a transcript? All homeschoolers that pursue higher ed have to have transcripts. Are you referring to an accredited transcript? At this point, you have sort of backed yourself into a corner b/c in order for him to receive an accredited transcript, the courses have to be taken through that institution. Most only go through pre-cal or cal.

A homeschool transcript is equally valid as an accredited transcript. Taking SAT II subject tests and AP tests are 2 ways to validate the material covered.

AoPS has some great courses. http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Classes/AoPS_C_About.php So does John Hopkins. JH offers courses all the way through multi-variable cal. http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courseskt2.html

I would look into broadening your ds's math exposure to number theory and probability courses b/c the traditional math sequence doesn't delve into those topics and they are the very topics that gifted math brains thrive in. My ds loves AoPS. They challenge him to consider math from new angles.