Menu

Singapore Math Question

SquirrellyMama

I have a question from a friend about Singapore Math.

Has anyone used Singapore's 7-12 curriculum and what were the good and bad aspects of the material?

also

Some people recommend skipping 7th and 8th grade math if the k-6 material is mastered. Is this true with Singapore as well or is there new content in the junior high grades so those books should not be skipped?

Thanks!

I have a question from a friend about Singapore Math.

Has anyone used Singapore's 7-12 curriculum and what were the good and bad aspects of the material?

also

Some people recommend skipping 7th and 8th grade math if the k-6 material is mastered. Is this true with Singapore as well or is there new content in the junior high grades so those books should not be skipped?

Thanks!

I haven't used them, but Singapore actually has 3 or 4 programs for that level.

New Elementary Math (NEM) is the most common, having been available the longest. I am told it makes logical leaps now and then, and tends to teach a concept, have a couple problems to reinforce it, then start having the child apply that concept to new situations to make sure they understand the why. It doesn't spend a lot of time having the child do the same type of problem over and over again to learn the formula. There are two answer keys for the first two levels written by the author of the HIG's in the primary series. There are no plans to publisher answer keys for the last two levels, because they really aren't cost effective to produce.

Discovering Math (DM) is newer. It doesn't make as many logical leaps as the NEM series and has more practice with the base concept before having the child apply it to a new situation. The author included full answer keys for all 4 books.

New Syllabus Math (NSM) is the easiest of the three. As I understand it it has the most work with the base concept before moving to challenging work, and the least amount of challenging work.

There is also a program called Math Counts (MC) that I know very little about.

I found this information from reading on the Singapore math forums, especially a post by one mom who bought all three series to compare them. Jenny, the moderator and author of the HIG's is also pretty familiar with all three, and what she says seems to agree with what the mom posted.

Hope this helps a little. Sorry I can't better answer your main question.

Heather

NEM 1 continues from PM6. So, no, you wouldn't skip anything if continuing with Singapore. Many skip pre-algebra if moving from Singapore to an American math text. I used NEM with my oldest after using their Primary Math. With my 2nd son we moved directly into Lial's Algebra from PM6. I guess I haven't really ever used a pre-algebra program of any sort with any of the boys. That's not to say, though, that it wouldn't be beneficial...I just have math adept kids and I love it myself.

I loved NEM. Many find it to be a higher level of difficulty to teach than the PM series. There are several other options available now that have more helps and are a bit less rigorous. They weren't available back when I was doing it, so I can't really comment on those.