Menu

Anyone see the blurb on CNN's HLN a few days ago about a shortage of canned pumpkin?

Apparently the Nestle company owns 85% of the nation's pumpkin that is produced for canning, and they've stated that because of a too-wet growing season, much of this year's pumpkin crop was lost. They expect to be out of canned pumpkin to ship to grocers before Thanksgiving, and will not be able to ship more until next year's harvest begins in August 2010.

Usually, canned pumpkin goes on sale just before the holidays, but all of the stores around here are selling it for full price. I bought 4 cans yesterday, and there weren't many cans left.

Better yet, buy a whole pumpkin from your local farmers. They still have 'em, they're better for you and it's better for your local economy. :)

Ding, ding! You took the words right out of my mouth!

Nicole (who is somewhat sickened, but not surprised, by the news that Nestle owns / generates such a huge percentage of our canned pumpkin)

Better yet, buy a whole pumpkin from your local farmers. They still have 'em, they're better for you and it's better for your local economy. :)

hmmm, I've got a couple dozen left after freezing all we'll need. I wonder what I could get for them on ebay? :lol:

btw, I'm in southwestern OH, you can PM me with any bids!

Huh. I had actually been thinking there might be a pumpkin shortage because I already knew the pumpkin crop had trouble this year, but today I was in both Whole Foods and TJ's and there were tons of cans of pumpkin on the shelf. I bought one - I think I may still have some left over from last year.

I thoughtmost canned pumpkin was actually squash. :confused: I read last year that they use squash instead because it has a stronger flavor. Maybe that was just a specific brand?

We have a freezer full of pureed pumpkin thanks to a 3/$1 sale on pie pumpkins at the local pumpkin farm. :001_smile: I only lost two of them to target practice.