Menu

Does anyone know if there is any kind of tutoring covered by medicaid?

We recently became eligible for medicaid. When I had my ds8 tested a couple of months ago through the school for learning disabilities they said sometimes they will ask if you are on medicaid for your card because they can get reinburst (sp). At the time we weren't on medicaid so I didn't think anything of it. Now I'm wondering if there is anything available that would be covered by medicaid. My ds8 is a struggling reader among other things. I think he may be dyslexic but don't know for sure. When I had him tested it seemed like they only tested him to see what level he was at in various subjects and not what his specific disability was. I'm really banging my head against the wall with him. I beginning to think I'm not going to be able to help him.

Some speech therapists are certified Orton Gillingham tutors. If your son has speech or language deficits, you might be able to get approved for ST and then have the SLP do some OG tutoring as well. You could watch the sessions so that you know how to work with your son at home.

If your son has auditory processing deficits (which are usually at least part of the underlying cause of dyslexia), SLP's are the professionals that administer FastForWord. You could ask them if Medicaid will cover that.

You could also try to find an Occupational Therapist who does Interactive Metronome and/or the Therapeutic Listening Program. Medicaid will probably cover those if they are part of an OT plan. My kid's insurance covers both of them. In addition to those therapies, my dd has OT for sensory integration disorder and fine motor deficits. OT is the highlight of her week; they make it a lot of fun for kids.

I am beginning to think I'm not going to be able to help him.

You can help him! Don't give up!

If you're not a member of these yahoo groups, please join them:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeartofReading/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GIFTSNC/

Then, if you can only afford one book about learning disabilities, get this one: The Mislabeled Child by Brock and Fernette Eide

The authors are medical doctors who homeschooled their own children for a few years because of learning disabilities. The book has plenty of medical and theoretical information as well as practical information on how to help your struggling learner.

There is a wealth of free information, including videos, on this website: http://www.dys-add.com

Whether your kid has dyslexia or a different reading disability, the teaching strategy is the same. Information about dyslexia will probably be helpful even if it's not your kid's diagnosis.

One of my friends told me that it took 2 years for her to teach her son the 26 letters of the alphabet and the sounds they make. Two years. Today, her kid is 15 and you would never guess that he's dyslexic and he struggled so hard to learn to read.

Don't give up! :grouphug:

My son receives medicad for therapies. The best answer I have is that some people are covered and some people are not. You just have to call and ask each center/each person. We found our reading tutor thru altaread.org . She does not accept medicaid because she is working out of her home. We did find another tutor in another city that accepted medicaid, but she worked with a large center and they had the ability to bill for services. However, even then, depending on your type of medicaid, not all therapies or services are covered.

For specialized diagnosis in dyslexia you often have to find a psych evaluator that is familiar with the tests and is willing to test specifically for that. Our evaluator wasn't so we had to do more searching.

While you are looking for answers for your son, I would ask for referrals for speel/language assessment and for occupational therapy. Check out covd.org for vision therapy information. Vision therapy has been the icing on the cake for us and resolved many issues my ds was having that OT and other therapies couldn't. For my ds, it turns out that it wasn't dyslexia but rather severe vision propblems causing the academic problems. My son's VT does accept medicaid so that is a wonderful, wonderful thing for us. We used an OT and Speech therapist attached to private centers and they also accepted medicaid. My guess is that your pediatrician can also help you find therapists and evaluators that accept medicaid and that have good reputations.

:grouphug: It can be a difficult journey, but it is all worth it.

• 13 years later...