Menu

What history with 7th grade?

Hebrews3:13

I am looking at history for next year and not sure where to go. We have been doing ambleside year 6 this year, but dd hates it and I really want to do something else.

We did SOTW when she was young, but now that seems too young of course.

I only have the first edition WTM, does anyone do the outlining suggested there or is there a better curriculum I am missing?

Appreciate the suggestions!

Laurie

My ds did SOTW too. So this year, to keep him in the same time period with 2 others, I'm using Biblioplan. It was designed to work with WTM methods and uses many of the the WTM recommended books as well as the Famous Men... series and Kingfisher, as well as SOTW for the younger ones. It has a 4 year history cycle. Check it out... Biblioplan

I am in the same spot. I started sotw 1 with my youngest when she was in 1st grade. She just finished sotw 4 now that she is in 6th. I also had her do ao year 6 this year. I would not like to move on with ao for her, so I will start sotw 1 again, ancients and supplement with more advanced readings. We use sotw 1 all together, I also have a 4th grader and a 1st grader. We practice outlining all together. Then my oldest has been reading story of the greeks on her own. I will have her read story of the romans and augustus caesar's world next year. She prepared written narrations on those. All that to say, I think you can use it with a 7th grader, as long as you add in more advanced supplements.

I am looking at history for next year and not sure where to go. We have been doing ambleside year 6 this year, but dd hates it and I really want to do something else.

We did SOTW when she was young, but now that seems too young of course.

I only have the first edition WTM, does anyone do the outlining suggested there or is there a better curriculum I am missing?

Appreciate the suggestions!

Laurie

We tried the outlining and such as per TWTM but it just didn't work for us. So, we have switched to History Odyssey (as suggested on this board) and I'm happy with it so far.

I'm still using it for my 7th grader in addition to the other resources. I'll still be doing read alouds for the 2nd grader, and he can listen in or read it on his own. I think it helps to tie in everything else if you're using Kingfisher. The mapwork is a wonderful tool, too, and if they did it 3 years ago, I don't think they will remember it or understand it as they would in the older grades.

Thank you for your suggestions and anyone else who has anything to add, please do!

I am good with trying SOTW with her and that would work well with my using it with DS 1rst grade next year also.

This may sound stupid, but any ideas on where else to be coming up with supplements for this? Guess I could check out some suggested reading on AO, but that may get tedious. Ugh.

Sorry, very tired this year and ready for it to be over. :ohmy: This year has not gone real well for us and I am weary. I think planning for next year somehow makes me have hope and feel better.

Thanks again!