Menu

Book of Roots with Latina Christian I - is it worth it?

A.J. at J.A.

I stumbled upon The Memoria Press Book of Roots today at our homeschool bookstore and it looks good but pricey. We are doing LCI with my 5th grader and are also incorporating the Ludere workbook.

If you have used the Book of Roots can you tell me about it? Where is the best place to purchase it?

Thanks,

Angela

Angela,

I got the Book of Roots when my oldest dd was using LCI, but I quickly figured out that it was a bit too advanced. Fast forward to now - she has been taking high school Latin online for two years and we never did pick up B of R again, nor did we continue with Memoria Press. I still think the Book is a great resource, though, and I may either do it myself, or have my middle dd use it to gain Latin roots, as she is studying Greek instead of Latin.

I don't think you necessarily have to do it in conjunction with LCI. I think you could save it for when your dd's older, or use it on its own without having done LCI, which is what will happen here whether I or my middle dd uses it.

I think I got mine from Rainbow Resource, but you might also try Homeschoolclassifieds.com.

HTH!

• Like 1

For that age, I'd recommend Roots of English book by MP instead of Book of Roots. As the PP mentioned the BofR is really quite advanced. Roots of English is also aligned with LCI, but it's more manageable for the student. You can get Roots of English from Rainbow and MP. There's probably other places, but I don't know of them. I'd try finding it used first before buying it new, but I do find a nice addition to LCI. HTH

ETA: If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you. I'm working through Book of Roots myself while my dd is using Roots of English.

• Like 1