Menu

Logic Stage Reading Questions

SkiMom

How many books do your logic stage dc read per year...on average? I'm talking about books that you require for "reading" time during school...not the extra, fun time reading books. I realize that children read at different rates, but I'm trying to come up with some idea of what is reasonable so that I know what I should expect from my dc. Thanks.

How many books do your logic stage dc read per year...on average? I'm talking about books that you require for "reading" time during school...not the extra, fun time reading books. I realize that children read at different rates, but I'm trying to come up with some idea of what is reasonable so that I know what I should expect from my dc. Thanks.

Between 12-18 books. It usually takes my ds's between 2-3 weeks to read, discuss, and write about a book. (It usually takes us 1 day to discuss, and 2-3 days to write a rough draft, edit, and make a final copy.)

I don't normally plan out exact reading assignments until just before we are ready to start the book. Usually, the first day I will have 6th-gr-ds read "for 45 minutes" and ask him a few questions afterwards so that I can gauge how difficult the reading is for him. Then, I break up the book accordingly.

Of course, I didn't spend a whole lot of time searching for books - I just used the lists in WTM. We covered poetry/fairy tales as read alouds, and still usually didn't finish the entire WTM list (with my older DS, now in 9th).