Menu

Switching math programs from RS to SM, ? about manipulatives

sarahv

I'm pretty sure I'm switching from Right Start to Singapore math. Right Start is just not working for me. I like the approach, but the way she arranges the teaching material is not clicking with me. I really like the idea of using the AL Abacus, though.

I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to programs, I like to stick to one basic program, and leave any supplementation for one day a week, or casual afternoon kind of "play", just to open up the mind to different ways of thinking of the same thing.

I've always liked the looks of Singapore, but I don't want to have to buy a huge lot of manipulatives all over again.

For those of you who use Singapore, what manipulatives do you use? I know many of you use Singapore alongside Miquon - so do you just rely on the cusinaire rods for manipulating? I'm very intriqued by miquon, but I'm not quite sure I could wrap my mind around it. And my oldest son is a "tell me what to do, so I can do it and get it done because what I'd really like to be doing is playing swords..." kind of kid. I haven't ruled out Miquon, just not ready to get out there and try it yet...

Can I use the Abacus as the only manipulative with Singapore, or do the two ideas just not mesh? Please feel free to tell me any and all ways you use manipulatives with Singapore. Thank you!!

We have the MUS blocks so we just use those with Singapore when we need them. I don't think the abacus would be a problem. Any manipulative will work that will show the different place values in a way your dc understands. If he's been using the abacus, I'm sure it will work out fine.

Can I use the Abacus as the only manipulative with Singapore, or do the two ideas just not mesh? Please feel free to tell me any and all ways you use manipulatives with Singapore. Thank you!!

There are no "required" manipulatives with Singapore. With my first two, I used MathUSee blocks, but with my youngest I used almost exclusively the AL Abacus after I discovered it (with Singpore PM, not RS). Best manipulative around.

If you have all the Right Start manipulatives, you won't need a single new thing in that department. And the RS games would still be fun to do on "off" days.

The HIGs suggest a number of activities with linking cubes. We have some but rarely use them.

We started with Miquon, so C. rods (plus base-10 flats to make 100s) are our manipulative of choice, but are not "required" by Primary Math.

Number bonds and Cuisenaire rods are, however, such a natural pairing that I think its a shame they aren't used in the Singapore program.

If you are intrigued by Miquon, I'd encourage you to check it out. I will admit I had a "what have I done???" moment when I opened the first student book, back when. What's this???

The teachers materials (which one does need to read) make it not only easy to understand, but the First Grade Diary is also full of insight, and practical teaching ideas.

We do use the AL Abacus too. Hang on to it, as it is another way to model the same basic ideas.

Bill

The manipulatives I've used most with Singapore are:

a set of counters (bears or buttons or whatever)

linking cubes (they're easier to manipulate than individual counters)

various measuring devices

the AL abacus

MUS blocks (any base 10 blocks would do)

the place value chips from the Singapore Math website (they're made of foam and look like big coins)

the place value cards from the SM website (used these a lot initially)

various fraction manipulatives including the ones from MUS (this would be for later on)