Menu

Just got home from the ER

Guest Cindie2dds

Guest Cindie2dds

Asthma is nothing to mess with. My husband was wheezing a couple of days ago and it turned into a full-blown asthma attack 6 hours ago. We just got home from the ER. This is his first asthma attack and he is 40 years old! It was scary. It never occurred to me that someone in their 40s could have their first asthma attack. Anyway, have lots of drugs and I am going to keep a close eye on my man.

I am so sorry! An asthma attack is scary, no matter what age you are! I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma about 4 years ago, and it is difficult to adjust to a "watchful" lifestyle. The one bit of advice that I can offer is to ALWAYS have a rescue inhaler available, no matter how controlled the asthma seems. You never know when a trigger (smoke, cats, and anxiety are the big ones for me) is going to show up. Better to have the inhaler and not need it than be without one when you do!

Hope your dh is breathing better now!

-Robin

I have adult onset asthma. I would see a pulmonologist and possibly and allergist. He may need steroid inhalers to help prevent another attack plus rescue inhalers. Sometimes they also use singulair as well. Another thing to inquire about is plain mucinex taken daily as instructed and zyrtec for environmental allergies. I have found zyrtec and plain mucinex to be god sends:) Zyrtec helped me after my asthma was out of control for 8 weeks this past summer. I of course still need my asthma medication, but I need a lot less now with the zyrtec. lastly, ask your doctor about pepcid or the like for stomach acid, since reflux disease has been thought to aggravate asthma, although the correlation may not be strong.

I have found as a nurse that webmd.com and medscape.com to be reliable sources of info as well as mayoclinic.com.

Lastly here is an interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/health/03brod.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=asthma&st=cse

I also recommend taking a heft amount of fish oil daily and vitamin d3 if ok with your doctor.

Edited by priscilla