Menu

Any disadvantages to buying SOTW AG as PDF?

Heather R

This is my first post. :) The title basically says it all... Are there any disadvantages to buying the SOTW AG as a downloadable PDF? I would have it printed at a print shop, and the total cost would be about the same as buying the bound book. But, I'm in Canada, so it would be much faster and simpler than ordering. Plus, this way I could easily print more copies of the Student pages, right?

Is there anything I'm missing? Does the AG have color illustrations or anything? Has anybody bought the PDF and been disappointed?

Thanks!

Heather

Guest Dulcimeramy

I wish I'd bought mine as a PDF :)

I only print the student pages, and I always need more than one copy. I haven't got around to ripping out the student pages from my hard copy, and rebinding the student pages AND the remainder of the AG...because that will be a time-consuming pain. So I have to wrestle the whole AG every time I need to make copies, and they don't turn out well because the book doesn't lie flat on my printer.

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and do it. If it turns out disastrous or something, I'll report back. ;)

Oh, lovinmomma, there are actually downloadable versions of the actual SOTW books, too. Where in East Africa are you moving? We are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia, so Africa is very special to me. :)

Heather

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and do it. If it turns out disastrous or something, I'll report back. ;)

Oh, lovinmomma, there are actually downloadable versions of the actual SOTW books, too. Where in East Africa are you moving? We are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia, so Africa is very special to me. :)

Heather

Uhhh... apparently I'm out of the loop. I had no idea. Where are these elusive digital versions? I'll PM you.

Well, I did it! The only downside I can see is the cost... The AG download was $27.95, and it cost $30 to get one copy printed. Plus I bought a nice big binder for it (about $10, because I'm a sucker for the clear slide in coverpage). So total cost was about 67.95, which is considerably more than the $34.95 to just buy the darn thing. :) Then I made an extra set of coloring sheets for my little guy, which came to about $5.

However, I think I will like the convenience of the 3-hole punch, and being able to add each weeks section to my "master binder" as needed. Also, being able to run more copies of the student pages later at my convenience will also be handy. I'll give it a try for this year, and decide on the best plan for years 2-4.

Heather

Well, I did it! The only downside I can see is the cost... The AG download was $27.95, and it cost $30 to get one copy printed. Plus I bought a nice big binder for it (about $10, because I'm a sucker for the clear slide in coverpage). So total cost was about 67.95, which is considerably more than the $34.95 to just buy the darn thing. :) Then I made an extra set of coloring sheets for my little guy, which came to about $5.

However, I think I will like the convenience of the 3-hole punch, and being able to add each weeks section to my "master binder" as needed. Also, being able to run more copies of the student pages later at my convenience will also be handy. I'll give it a try for this year, and decide on the best plan for years 2-4.

Heather

I'm confused about the extra cost. Can't you just print the PDF files on your home printer? That would be significantly cheaper per page for me at least.

I just bought the AG for volume 3 and love the fact that it's all there for me to print at will. I have a nice color laser printer, colors not necessary but it prints pretty efficiently and inexpensively. I like that I can print as many of the student pages as we would need, and I won't have to take it to an office store to have the binding removed to make copying easier.

I don't mind reading off the computer so I won't need to print more than the student pages.

I'm confused about the extra cost. Can't you just print the PDF files on your home printer? That would be significantly cheaper per page for me at least.

Oh, you definitely could print them at home. I just find that my printer is a total ink hog, and would likely cost me more than $.10/pg. Maybe not though... I guess I should figure that out.

And you totally could just print the Student pages... my computer isn't in our homeschool room, so reading online wouldn't work well for us, I don't think.

Heather

Were they keeping this a secret? I was even on the site pricing things the other day, pricing things, and never saw it. I am soooooo happy! I use the AG selectively, so this will definitely save me money, especially as we add a huge chunk for overseas postage.

Here's another "secret" - if you have lost just one of your SOTW CDs, you can get a replacement for just that one disk! I've heard that this happens to some careless people ;-)