Menu

I found a way for dd to focus and remember when I read a book

abreakfromlife

:party: I am soooooooo excited! Finally, a huge breakthrough!!! :party: Before, when I'd read SOTW or any kind of non-fiction book, it would go in one ear and out the other b/c she was drifting in her thoughts. I tried letting her color while she listened, and it still didn't help. "what did I just say? I don't know" But now..........woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went through a couple of books I wanted to read today. And I typed up a worksheet that had sentences from each book on it, with a blank space in it where an important fact was. And then I put a word bank at the top of the page. So as I read the book, dd had to listen and pay attention to what I said, because I would read a sentence on her page and she had to fill in the blank. And she remembers almost everything she read and wrote down!!!!!!!!!! This has never happened before. I'm so happy :D:D:D

That's similar to using the calvert workbook with CHOW.
Really? I figured there must be something out there, lol. I'll have to look at that....I've always toyed with the idea of using CHOW. This is kind of fun, but it's only been a day.....I don't really want to do this for the next 8, 9 years. LOL.

Does anyone know how to attach word docs? Is that possible? I'll share mine if I could figure it out....I have one on Russia, Polar Bears, Ural Mtns, and the Catherine the Great chapter in SOTW 3.

I have been quizzing dd all day and she still remembers all of it. She was able to tell dh what she learned about today and she's never able to do that. We're both so excited. Poor kid; her knowledge of history is going to start with Peter the Great, LOL.

Way back a long time ago when I was a ps teacher, I gave my high school students an incomplete outline and had them complete it as I "lectured." It wasn't really a lecture since I also had the completed outline on an overhead transparency, but I hope it helped at least a few of them transition to taking their own notes. I think it is very helpful when students have a hard time attending.

Kudos to you for figuring out what works for you own dd! :hurray:

Way back a long time ago when I was a ps teacher, I gave my high school students an incomplete outline and had them complete it as I "lectured." It wasn't really a lecture since I also had the completed outline on an overhead transparency, but I hope it helped at least a few of them transition to taking their own notes. I think it is very helpful when students have a hard time attending.

Kudos to you for figuring out what works for you own dd! :hurray:

Amy,

This is another great idea - thanks for sharing... ;-)

Kate