Menu

Florida

rookie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in Tampa and late to this discussion!

We're about to start our homeschooling journey with 1st grade for our DD in June, and ... I'll say it ... I'm scared! I'm contemplating joining FPEA (Florida Parent Educators Association), and possibly going to their convention. Are you fellow Floridians members and find the membership worthwhile? How beneficial are the conventions?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elizaturrill

I am a student at the University of Tampa and I completely love it. If anyone would like to know more information about it and the application process feel free to check out this article that I wrote about it and ask me questions!

parentsandcolleges.com/blog/bid/172070/Applying-to-The-University-of-Tampa-as-a-Prospective-Student

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of an internet forum for Florida homeschoolers? All inclusive, not attached to any curriculum, religion etc. I would love to find a forum where local HS'er talk and discuss issues, plan field trips, park days and so on, both on a state level and smaller county groups. If I do not find one, I may consider starting one myself. I am finding the local groups so attached to one curriculum, philosophy or even excluding certain ages.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping someone on here can provide a little guidance!

My oldest son will be 6 in August, so this is the first year that we have to file with our superintendent. However, we will be moving from Florida around the end of October. I'm wondering which option would be easier: 1) Register and then unregister as a homeschooler with the school board or 2) Register and then unregister with the free umbrella school.

Pros or cons for either option?

We will probably be back in Florida after three years away and will (God willing) be homeschooling upon our return.

Thank you for any advice.

I posted yesterday in the chat board about relocating to Florida. We are in the first steps of planning a move to Martin County. We go to Hutchinson Island every year and really love the Jensen Beach/Port St Lucie area. From my research the homeschooling laws there seem to be very similar to ours here in Ohio.

Just wanted to say hey! There are quite a few people on these boards from Port St Lucie. How neat :)

With the superintendent or the umbrella school?

The superintendent/county, so I'm assuming St. Johns. If you're moving mid-year I can't see any advantage to being registered with an umbrella school, esp. since it's not something FL requires. Mail in your letter of intent, and then after you move send them another letting them know that you moved on such and such a date, same as you would if moving to another county in FL.

The superintendent/county, so I'm assuming St. Johns. If you're moving mid-year I can't see any advantage to being registered with an umbrella school, esp. since it's not something FL requires. Mail in your letter of intent, and then after you move send them another letting them know that you moved on such and such a date, same as you would if moving to another county in FL.

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me anything about Palatka, Hosford, or Hawthorne Florida?

What the areas are like? As I stated before we are trying to move to Martin County.. the St. Lucie area/Jensen Beach area. My dh is applying for jobs but the company he works for now could transfer him to one of the above areas (or Tallahassee, Jacksonville, or Tampa).

Ive never been to any of those locations. Anyone?

• 2 years later...

I can't seem to find a new Florida thread, so I'm posting here even though it hasn't been updated in a while. I'm expecting to move to jacksonville area this summer.  I'm focusing on living closer to St Augustine. I'd love to find other homeschooling families or likeminded friends. My older son will likely be in public high school and if my younger son doesn't get into a preferred program then I will likely homeschool him again.

If you know of any homeschooling resources I should be aware of and you live in that area, I'd love to connect with you.

Erica

• 4 months later...