Menu

question about buying WP and WP vs SOTW

SeekingSimplicity

Thinking ahead, I know that I want to use this next year with my youngest, for K. I was thinking also of getting it for my older two, doing the middle ages package, but not sure-- it's expensive. I'm thinking about the price of them new, and used

My question is, is it actually cheaper to buy WP used? Or will I come out just as well buying it new? IT seems like by the time I hunt down the materials I'm looking for used, then order any extra materials, or missing materials... I might do just as well getting it new.

If I could get the middle ages at a good price, then I may do it. BUt I'm also thinking about just getting SOTW instead. I'll have all their L A and math materials already, I'll just need to add in history and science. We're using SOTW this year, and it's alright, the looks of WP just really appeal to me and I'd like to try it.

So could you guys compare the two programs for me? Help me get an idea of which I'd prefer?

Thanks!

How old are your kiddos, again?

You could use SOTW 2 with the AG for all your kids up to 6th grade or so (after 5th, supplement with the Kingfisher or Usborne for a little extra ooomph and some simple outlining practice). You could also use Mystery of History 2, which WP uses, without the WP schedule, but it will probably be too much for a K'er.

Guest Cindie2dds

My question is, is it actually cheaper to buy WP used? Or will I come out just as well buying it new? IT seems like by the time I hunt down the materials I'm looking for used, then order any extra materials, or missing materials... I might do just as well getting it new.

If WP is the direction you choose, I would buy the WP exclusives from them and then buy everything else from Amazon or whichever source you use to buy books. WP drop ships from Amazon and other retailers, so you have more control over the shipment if you order it yourself. A big word of caution, order very early from WP if you order a complete package from them (this is from past experience). While WP didn't work for us, there are many people out there that love it and do well with it. The Guidebooks from WP and I didn't get along, but that's me ;).

Good Luck!

I have 2 WP programs and all 4 volumes of SOTW as well as the SOTW 1 Activity Guide. After trying a WP theme last year (Animals and Their Worlds) and tweaking it a lot, I still couldn't help myself from trying another theme. So this year we got Hideaways in History. I found that the reading schedule was just too heavy and started to spread it out over 2 weeks. But I realized, we're still going too fast and are missing some of the great ideas in SOTW. So I am slowing coming to realize that WP may be a good fit for some. All of the programs sure look fun so it's tough for me to give it up. But when it comes to actually implementing the program in my home, they are not as nice as the catalog or reviews say. So by going with SOTW and the Activity Guide, not only is it cheaper, but it's more tailored to our interests and speed. I do keep the WP catalog and SL catalog around for some great read-aloud suggestions. It's been a long and expensive road, but I'm finally starting to learn to let go of the very full yet fun looking programs and just be happy to have found a method that works while saving money.

See, that's what I'm worried about-- that I'm getting sucked in because it looks pretty and fun. But I'll be totally overwhelmed when it gets here and we try to use it, and I'll have spent a ton of money for nothing.

We are doing just fine with SOTW, so I may just go ahead and keep using it. I would like to try Hideaways in History for K, just to satisfy my curiosity. I could get it, to try out their program I guess, and steer clear of the middle ages program till I know more if we'll like it.

Thank you all!

Honestly, I would not suggest of all programs for you to get HIH. I LOVE WP and plan to use their sutff in the future. However, I do not believe that HIH is a good representation of their other themes at all. Covering all for SOTW books in 1 year just seems ridiculous IMO. I know other people have enjoyed it, but I would not suggest that HIH be your first impression of WP.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We are doing just fine with SOTW

In my limited experience, "just fine" is extremely underrated.

My experience with WP was also a bust. I was attracted to it because it looked wonderful and completely laid out but, in the end, it wasn't exactly like I wanted it. Really, when it comes right down to it, that's ugly truth about what gets used around here (and so is worth the money, whatever amount) and what doesn't (and so is ultimately worthless, no matter how shiny and pretty).

Honestly, I would not suggest of all programs for you to get HIH. I LOVE WP and plan to use their sutff in the future. However, I do not believe that HIH is a good representation of their other themes at all. Covering all for SOTW books in 1 year just seems ridiculous IMO. I know other people have enjoyed it, but I would not suggest that HIH be your first impression of WP.

So it's just too heavy then?

Which one would be better for a K'er? The animal one?

I would definately do AW over HIH. However, even with AW be prepared to paraphrase in the animal ency. if needed. Each week you would make a paper craft (sometimes using boxes) of an animal you are studying. There are also alphabet crafts that we would have skipped, but they looked like fun. HIH in my humble opinion is too much for a Ker.

:iagree:

I would definately do AW over HIH. However, even with AW be prepared to paraphrase in the animal ency. if needed. Each week you would make a paper craft (sometimes using boxes) of an animal you are studying. There are also alphabet crafts that we would have skipped, but they looked like fun. HIH in my humble opinion is too much for a Ker.

Animal Worlds is unique and some people love it, but it is also more choppy than a typical WP program, and too much for K, IMHO. For a K'r I would get the preschool programs. I really don't want to miss the preschool program. If you are dying to try out WP you could go for one of their science programs, or American History, which is the program that makes people fall in love with WP.

HIH is not bad if you leave out SOTW and realize that most of the learning will be coming from the activities. I prefer picture books for history at young ages (and HIH's picture book selections are not super appropriate either).

I would also agree that AW is more choppy than other WP themes. So, basically the 2 that you like IMHO aren't the best to show you the flow of WP. : ) I do like their pre-k themes, but not as much as SL's pre-k. If **I** were you having had in my hands both WP and SL and am now looking at SOTW I would suggest sticking with SOTW. The reason the I left SL for WP was for 2 reasons. 1) I wanted to be able to combine all of my children into history 2) I wanted more hands-on planned for me. The reason I moved from WP to SOTW is because I really don't want to do HIH, so there you go.

I prefer SOTW + AG + history encycolpedia over WP. I only went from SOTW 1 last year to WP American Story 1 because ds was dying to study American history, this looked all scheduled out, and some close friends of ours 5 min. down the road are using it this year too (combined history projects w/ friends, etc.). WP is a VERY full schedule. There is even a note of caution at the beginning of AS 1 to pick and choose from each week's scheduled activities, and that it is not intended to be used in full. You could spend 2 years trying to accomplish everything they lay out for 1 year if you don't pick & choose your way through it. That's where I have trouble with it. Plus, I found out by using it that my boys hate cutting/pasting/coloring as the main type of craft usually presented.

I am tempted to go with SOTW 4 and expand on the US history parts of it rather than use WP AS 2 next year. If I do use WP AS 2 (starting it in Sept. '10), I'll be ordering it in MARCH. I only ordered WP exclusives from WP and got all the other books from amazon. It came out about the same, esp. since if I had ordered the WP package, I would have received the $70 guidebook free. Take the words of caution about their shipping seriously. Order 6 months ahead. Just my 2 cents.

I am using WP AW (the only one I have used) for my animal-loving 6.5 yo dd. She is advanced in her reading and is *very* crafty. That being said, we are using PARTS of it for the first WTM rotation of biology (we did botany this past summer and will be doing human anatomy this summer). She loves the OSS books and we are using The Animal Kingdom (not needed for a Ker) and HHH Journal (not needed for a Ker) as well as ONE of the activity books. She is liking it and it's not too much for us because we are only doing parts of it. Your older two could use some of the 2nd+ resources if you wanted to incorporate them into it (for their science).

Last year, as a Ker, she did SOTW 1 with the AG (maps, coloring pages, and crafts). It was OK. We were more focused on the 3Rs (I was pregnant/had an infant). This year for history we are using BF Early American History because it is light. I'm not adding any crafts because there are more than enough in WP AW (we do the Alphabet Art portion with my younger dd also).

So, for a Ker, AW would probably be MORE than enough! HTH:001_smile:

I hear ya. I need to learn to leave well enough alone. WP is just pretty and looks fun, and that's the reason I want it.... which really isn't a reason at all.

I personally would use HIH with older kids.

With SOTW you are reading one or two chapters a week, and doing work from the AG. Not too heavy.

With HIH you are sometimes reading multiple chapters A DAY, and at least 4 chapters a week. That is a bit much, especially from chapter books and not their normal highly visual books. I wouldn't hesitate to use HIH with 3rd-5th graders.

BTW I loved AW and didn't find it that choppy, but I am not that picky. We plan to do it again in the next few years. I am trying to talk the kids into doing WAM first, but they really prefer animals and plans, so I don't know if it will work. :D

Heather

WP IS pretty and fun and AW is a good solid science for my 9 yo and a decent kindy program for dd age 5.

However I wouldnt both buying any of the exclusives xcept the Animal Notebook and Id just order all the books from amazon and read what you want in the order you want. Because that's what is working best here.

There is even a note of caution at the beginning of AS 1 to pick and choose from each week's scheduled activities, and that it is not intended to be used in full. You could spend 2 years trying to accomplish everything they lay out for 1 year if you don't pick & choose your way through it. That's where I have trouble with it.
:iagree:When I purchase a curriculum guide, I expect to not need to do any planning or decision making.

:iagree:When I purchase a curriculum guide, I expect to not need to do any planning or decision making.

LOL! Then don't bother every looking at TOG. It is not what you want.

I rewrite anything I use. I did it with SL and with WP. With WP that means that instead of working off the IG pages I entered them into the computer and we did the horizontal schedule instead of vertical thing, so when I put it in I made the necessary adjustments. I also chose the activities we would do ahead of time, so I only saw what we planed to do. AW is probably one of the schedules I mess with the least. I added the TQ commentary and Guerber books to AS 1 for my oldest, so that took quite a bit more tweaking.

For me a schedule is always a jumping off place so I don't have to write the whole thing myself. :D

Heather

I understand, that is just my preference. I find making my own guide just as easy as starting with someone else's and doing extensive planning/tweaking. Obviously. :tongue_smilie:Of course, I follow my preference when designing something for other people. No planning/tweaking! And you know what? Some of them do it anyway. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
What about the sky and sea package? I saw where they have a guide for K-3 so littles can follow along with the older kids. My older ones will be in 4th and 5th grades next year. Is this something the whole family could reasonably do together?

Sounds like a real possibility to me. I would ask more on the WP forums or yahoo group. The yahoo group is probably the most active. PM me if you can't find it.

Heather

We have enjoyed AW, AS1, CAW and I have purchased a few more packages from WP. I love that the guide schedules everything. I don't follow it to a "t" but haven't met anyone who does. Tweak here, tweak there, everyone does it;). I have used SL, WP & MFW and I make the guides work for me :). I like that I don't have to pull everything together. It's all done for me, with some tweaking of course:D

Edited by Homeschooling6

Guest Cindie2dds
All of the programs sure look fun so it's tough for me to give it up. But when it comes to actually implementing the program in my home, they are not as nice as the catalog or reviews say.

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth! I still drool over the catalog, especially Sea & Sky! I might not be able to help myself with that one. ;)

I absolutely agree with Heather, the ladies on the yahoo groups were very kind and helpful.