Menu

Math enrichment - CTY, EPGY, Challenge Math etc?

mominsac

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this Forum. I have DD9 (4th) and DD11 (5th) who are in PS, in self-contained all-GATE classrooms. I try to afterschool/supplement when we can, especially in Math which they study one-grade above in school, but I figure they can always use more practice, especially as they gear up for Algebra and beyond. To broaden their math horizon and keep their interests up, I try to expose them to programs which emphasize creative problem-solving methodologies, but I wouldn't mind if they got more solid practice on the fundamentals too. Both DDs like to learn advanced concepts, but unfortunately, they also have their moments of miscalculations and calculation process errors, so practice is always good! :banghead:

We have variety of things we (try) to do as enrichment when we have the time - workbooks or online courses. Since we are afterschooling /weekendschooling, I'm finding that the more structured the curriculum, the more disciplined we are. The kids do, in priority order --

1) Beestar.com Math and GT Math (two 10 problem quizzes every week, timed and scored - I particularly like the GT Math problems which are creative and advanced. Parents can review and track progress. Kids also like the science and SS problems)

2) Singapore CWP (occasionally)

3) Ed Zaccarro's Primary and Challenge for Middle School (hit or miss, unfortunatly)

4) Math Olympiad for Elementary and Middle School (this is new, they like)

Given that we seem to do better with a structured program with structured schedule (vs. workbooks), I'm thinking of investigating actual courses now:

1) CTY Online Math (not classes that are based on EPGY or Thinkwell, but the Enrichment series - ie. "Problem Solving in Arithmatic", or Competitive Series - ie. "Math Olympiad", "MathCounts" with weekly whiteboard classes etc)

2) EPGY Accelerated

3) AoPS (not quite ready yet- maybe in a year.)

Question: Does anyone out there have any experience using the CTY Online Math Enrichment/Competitive Series or EPGY as a enrichment/supplement? I know many use EPGY as main curriculum, but I wasn't sure if it would be too overwhelming for afterschooling. We had very good experience with the CTY Online literature courses during the summer, hence we thought to look into their other courses.

Any advice or thoughts welcome. thank you!

Hi! Thanks for the link which I was not familiar, I did not know EPGY had a whole different website for Open Enrollment - this helps a lot! I'm now going through other EPGY threads in the forum so that I can better understand how it all works. (and not ask the same questions :)) Good to know people can manage it using it as supplement.

Is your Open Enrollment group still open? Or can we sign up starting May/June? I read on the EPGY website that any sign up after 12/1 is prorated, but the rate was not given...do you know if this applies to Open Enrollment?

I'm also still interested to know if anyone has had experience with CTY Online's Math competitive courses (Math Olympiad etc) or Enrichment (Problem Solving etc) courses ?

Thank you!

Yes, you can still sign up, the information is in those threads. The prorate will be $15 off starting in Dec. for this program, if I'm understanding it correctly. :) I believe it will then be prorate for each following month as well up until March or April where you will then be able to just pre-enroll for the following year at the years rate. I will know more as it gets closer, our next meeting is in Dec.

Thank you again!:) Reading all the EPGY-related threads, really appreciate all that you have done to benefit so many kids and families.

I just need to consider whether to start in Dec or wait to pre-enroll in March/April (do we get to start then, or have to wait to start until June?).

How do you like the LAW?

You can start whenever you register, and enroll. I am not exactly sure when the program opens to just regular pre-enrollment if you are not already using the program but I will let everyone know when I do. I do know they will let those within the program already begin enrolling for the next year from their login screen sometime in March or April so I am guessing it will be about the same time. If not the new year starts May for the 2010-2011 year.

Edited by melmichigan

Thinkwell math through Homeschool Buyer's Coop is a great price if you are considering CTY and the levels work out OK for your dc. (TW does PreAlg and Up, but no Geometry). CTY uses TW for those levels, so you pay a LOT extra just to get access to a tutor, which we do not need. TW could be a great supplement as you can be flexible about when/what to do according to your school schedule. My dc really like it and have mastered the materials well.

Hi Everyone,

1) CTY Online Math (not classes that are based on EPGY or Thinkwell, but the Enrichment series - ie. "Problem Solving in Arithmatic", or Competitive Series - ie. "Math Olympiad", "MathCounts" with weekly whiteboard classes etc)

Question: Does anyone out there have any experience using the CTY Online Math Enrichment/Competitive Series or EPGY as a enrichment/supplement? I know many use EPGY as main curriculum, but I wasn't sure if it would be too overwhelming for afterschooling. We had very good experience with the CTY Online literature courses during the summer, hence we thought to look into their other courses.

Any advice or thoughts welcome. thank you!

My daughter is taking the course now. The CD's get tiring and are a bit simple, but the test are very good. DD doesn't like them, she prefered the previous course, accelerated math 5. However, this course review the material.

So I'm wishy-washy on them. The computer animation seems a bit young, the test seem very good, hard to say if when she finishes, I will say good investment of time and money or not.

• 2 weeks later...