Menu

Anyone here using IEW

Hedgehogs4

I am considering joining an IEW coop with my 8 year old son. They just started a month ago, and he is suddenly showing interest in and aptitude for writing!

My impression of IEW is that it is A. EXPENSIVE, and B. time consuming. What is your impression / experience with this, and do you recommend this program?

tia

Yes it is expensive and I love it. (It also has a money back guarantee - if you buy anything from them, use it and regret it, then IEW will refund your money.)

I have started my kids at age eight. I've taught both in my home and in co-op settings.

From a student perspective, I don't think it is too time-consuming. If you are serious about teaching it yourself, then there is a learning curve and it takes time. If your student takes a co-op class, then there should not be too time-consuming.

:iagree:

It is expensive if you purchase the DVD set, which I highly recommend.

I started my oldest son when he was 8. One year later and he's beginning to write on his own with joy and enthusiasm!

I like this program because it teaches you a method of writing that can be adapted and used in any area of study. You can use the writing lessons/methods for writing papers about science, history, literature . . . anything! We usually write about history topics, so as my son outlines and writes, he's learning about the topic on a deeper level.

IEW also helps students to understand outlining. This is where their writing process begins and is VERY doable for an 8 yr. old.

My son is in an IEW co-op and while he doesn't love it, it is teaching him how to write better papers. We didn't have to buy the CD set since it was a co-op situation. It also helps to have other kids feel your pain, so (at least in my son's case), misery loves company. He can't whine and complain with a bunch of his peers around ykwim? It doesn't sound like that great of an endorsement for IEW, but like I said, he is learning how to write and any program I picked for him would have gotten the same response. I say - go for it!

Beth

Our family has used IEW for years, at all levels. It's been a great fit for us, but not (IMHO) everything you need for all kinds of writing, such as high school literary analysis. It IS a great program for an 8yo boy with little or no writing experience and for ability levels of slightly-below-average and above.

If I were you, I'd begin with SWI-A. I would break the course up over a whole school year. This, combined with the other writing you probably do with him, will be a good amount to get through each week. You can find lesson plans for SWI-A on the IEW site. Be forewarned - the way the lesson plans, DVDs, and handouts are done is a bit confusing. They call the DVD lessons and handouts "Day 1, Day 2, etc." and the Lesson plans "Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc." That's because the DVD course was done over several days, but the lesson plans divide the program over many weeks.

I have not done IEW in a co-op setting, but many families do it successfully. I prefer to do academics at home; it is more efficient for our large family.

HTH. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.

GardenMom

Do you mean the co-op is expensive or that the materials are? IEW is not expensive if you get the TWSS and use it for years formultiple dc. If you start buying supplements (SWI, HBWL,) then it could add up.

I think IEW is great, but I would ask questions about the quality of the classes.

The deciding factor for me before joining an IEW class would be the insturctor's qualifications. Are they registered with IEW? How many classes and for what ages have they taught? Are they using a SWI or HBWL product or creating their own syllabus? How long have they been teaching IEW and to how many students?