Menu

MCT - Full or Basic? (and other questions)

nd293

All the glowing reviews of MCT have decided me, but I have a few final questions:

1) Do you use the full or basic homeschool package? I would really, really like to save money, but when I'm told that I will "eviscerate the Socratic design of the implementation" by doing so, I do worry just a little!

2) Do I need an additional writing programme?

3) Sorry if this is a silly question, but what about punctuation? Is that covered? If not, do you learn through osmosis or cover separately? Edited to say: OK, I see punctuation is convered in the writing component of the second level.

Thanks,

Nikki

1) Do you use the full or basic homeschool package? I would really, really like to save money, but when I'm told that I will "eviscerate the Socratic design of the implementation" by doing so, I do worry just a little!

Meh. Methinks he's a bit over the top with this comment. We snuggle together on the sofa to read these books - more than one copy would actually get in the way. Just the TM is fine. Socratic questions are by their nature open-ended - having kids be able to see the questions in sparsely placed pale gray bubbles (there are no answers) doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I've heard for the secondary/middle school level you need both books, but for the elementary level books, the Basic package is absolutely fine, IMHO.

2) Do I need an additional writing programme?

Depends. Right now I'm just using Paragraph Town with my older two, but I may add in other stuff as the year goes on. For the younger level I could certainly see doing Sentence Island alongside something like WWE - they're very different approaches (but I think both worthwhile), so I don't think it would seem like overkill. I think I'd be doing this with my younger if she didn't also have an outside writing class - three writing programs (we are doing WWE3) would be insane.

3) Sorry if this is a silly question, but what about punctuation? Is that covered? If not, do you learn through osmosis or cover separately? Edited to say: OK, I see punctuation is convered in the writing component of the second level.

I think MCT explains quite lucidly how punctuation usage flows from the construction of the sentence. Once you can see easily how the sentence is put together, punctuation is obvious.

Meh. Methinks he's a bit over the top with this comment. We snuggle together on the sofa to read these books - more than one copy would actually get in the way. Just the TM is fine. Socratic questions are by their nature open-ended - having kids be able to see the questions in sparsely placed pale gray bubbles (there are no answers) doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I've heard for the secondary/middle school level you need both books, but for the elementary level books, the Basic package is absolutely fine, IMHO.

Depends. Right now I'm just using Paragraph Town with my older two, but I may add in other stuff as the year goes on. For the younger level I could certainly see doing Sentence Island alongside something like WWE - they're very different approaches (but I think both worthwhile), so I don't think it would seem like overkill. I think I'd be doing this with my younger if she didn't also have an outside writing class - three writing programs (we are doing WWE3) would be insane.

I think MCT explains quite lucidly how punctuation usage flows from the construction of the sentence. Once you can see easily how the sentence is put together, punctuation is obvious.

:iagree:

:iagree:

With the intention for classroom usage, what he says makes sense. For couch use, though, the TM is perfect.

With my youngest, who is years away still, my plan is to use FLL or PLL and then start the 1st level. I'm not exactly sure how I'd do the writing. The FLL/PLL should teach dictation and narrations, so for elementary age, that's all I'm concerned with. I think I'd want her to be familiar with retelling, but I shall play it by ear, or skill rather.

For my oldest, we are currently using just Paragraph Town. I may add in something else later, but she writes well as it is, and we're really enjoying the simplicity. I may just add in a Rhetorics course for high school later on.