Menu

Wordly Wise

welovetoread

If I had a child who needed help with spelling, Wordly Wise wouldn't be my choice. WW is vocabulary, not spelling, although you can *make* it spelling. IMHO, you'd be better off going with something like MCP's Spelling Workout, or R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure, or even something more comprehensive like Spalding.

I'm using it for my 6th grader this year, although for vocabulary and not spelling. She dislikes it, but I think because it makes her think. LOL I didn't get the Teacher's Edition--lessons are pretty self explanatory--but to be honest, I wish I'd gotten the inexpensive answer guide because some of the exercises are tough for me to grade without having to read through the entire lesson myself. :blush:

I'm using it for my 6th grader this year, although for vocabulary and not spelling. She dislikes it, but I think because it makes her think. LOL I didn't get the Teacher's Edition--lessons are pretty self explanatory--but to be honest, I wish I'd gotten the inexpensive answer guide because some of the exercises are tough for me to grade without having to read through the entire lesson myself. :blush:

I got the answer key and I'm glad I did. It was cheap and it makes correcting the lesson a breeze.

From my experience, we're using Wordly Wise 1st grad,e we used the K as well, and plan to use the 2nd grade.. for the first 3 grades you do need the TM - that's were the stories are and the definitions.. Now as I understand it, from 3rd grade onward the format changes, and the TM is not as necessary...

But I can tell you that the 1st 3 (K, 1st, and 2nd) have the same format, and you do need the TM.

Hope this helps...

Kate

From my experience, we're using Wordly Wise 1st grad,e we used the K as well, and plan to use the 2nd grade.. for the first 3 grades you do need the TM - that's were the stories are and the definitions.. Now as I understand it, from 3rd grade onward the format changes, and the TM is not as necessary...

But I can tell you that the 1st 3 (K, 1st, and 2nd) have the same format, and you do need the TM.

Hope this helps...

Kate

Actually, the format changes in 2nd grade in WW3000 (2nd edition). The only levels that require the TM are K & 1.

Thank you for all the responses, I actually did mean vocab and not spelling (see what sleepless nights with a new baby does) however, I do need a spelling program for her. I will look into some. I am assuming that R and S means Rod and Staff?

Thanks

Chandi

"R&S" is, indeed, Rod and Staff Publishers. R&S's spelling series, Spelling by Sound and Structure, is very good. The word lists aren't always terribly difficult, but the activities in each lesson are *very* challenging. It's my first choice for a traditional spelling series. The TM will make it much easier to grade--a positive for sleep-deprived mothers.:D