Menu

Guest aquiverfull

Guest aquiverfull

I was reading the thread about TOG/SL for a Ker, and saw someone recommend TOG for self-education. So that got me to thinking.

I've been realizing lately how important it is to actually teach my dd rather than just hand her a workbook. She seems to get so much more out of it that way, it's probably her learning style. I believe I could really improve my teaching if I would educate myself a bit. I've already learned a lot just going along with her.

I'm interested in hearing what you have used or plan to use to educate yourself. It can be in any subject...math,history, grammar, etc. Thanks!

Edited by aquiverfull

I've been busy with this and have so much further to go. Thankfully most of mine are still little so I have time. Here's what I'm using:

Literature: working through WEM & the recommended reading there, also read Adler's How To Read a Book, and went through Teaching the Classics DVD seminar for myself

Math: working through Life of Fred. Started at the beginning and working my way up.

History: reading SWB's History of the Ancient World, and anxiously awaiting the release of History of the Medieval World. Starting in on the Historians section of WEM.

Grammar: working through R&S grammar. Started at level 6 and plan to work my way up.

Latin: haven't started in on this yet and I'm plugging away with LCI with my dc. I had high hopes to work through Henle this year as well, but my plate is full with the stuff above and there's only so much time I have each day. Maybe I'll start next year when I've completed all the levels of R&S grammar. :)

Here is what I am doing currently:

Literature: Just started WEM with Don Quixote. And when I say just started, I mean today! ;) (I was waiting on buying a small notebook for taking notes.)

Greek: Doing Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce (I'm on chapter 17 right now)

Geography: Using Seterra to learn the countries. It is a very simple computer program to help remember where countries & cities are located. I use it about once a week.

History: I haven't started yet, but plan on using Susan's ancient history book. I want to do it similar to the logic stage of history in WTM, with making a binder, outlining, and making maps. I actually checked the book out from the library, but I think I want to wait till I get the book for Christmas before starting so I can write in the book. I may start earlier, I am undecided right now. :tongue_smilie:

I have some other items on my list of things I *hope* to get to someday, but for now this is it. Good luck on your self-education endeavors. :D

I thought I'd add in there that it is pretty slow going -- as much as I'd love to have the time to do everything all the time, I don't. The only reason I am as far as I am in Greek is because my dh is taking it in college and I study with him.

I'm well prepared in some subjects (former high school math teacher, so math for instance is no problem for me), and in other subjects I learn right along with them (Latin). The one area so far where I do put some time into my own education is history. And I love history so it's no chore! I do want to be doing some more reading on my own, but what fits into my schedule better is watching DVDs from The Teaching Company. These are not cheap, but I usually get a course for my Christmas present each year. I've been using History of the United States to better prepare me for history these past two years, and also Foundations of Western Civilization II for the European side of things. I got that in a set with Foundations of West. Civ. part I, so I'll be watching that as we head back into Ancients next year. I usually just watch an episode or two while folding laundry. These courses help me understand the big picture much better and I'm able to have better discussions with my dds. Our library also has some sets--that's something to look into to keep costs down.

Have you started thinking about junior high for your now 10 yo? That's where we are, and I've started reading and doing math and whatnot specifically to get ready. If you're wanting to self-educate, at this point I would gear it toward what you will be needing 2-3 years from now. If you were just doing K5, you could shoot in the dark and read anything or go through things a la WTM. But at this point, I'd get more serious about prepping for the stuff ahead.

I have my (probably unrealistic) self ed plan schedule worked out for the next three years. I intend to use Analytical Grammar and WEM next year, followed by Latin, LOF fractions, and decimals and percents the year after; and LOF Algebra and Logic the year after that. I'm not sure what to use for Latin, I'll start off with the programs I intend to use with the kids, and worry about what comes after when the time comes. I'm not sure about logic either, I've been reading threads on here recently, but still don't know what the best sequence is. I can cross that bridge when I come to it. WEM is a long term project, so I'll keep at that for quite a few years, I would think. Anyway, my eldest is only two, so it doesn't matter how long this all takes, except that I want to have spare brain space to study Arabic with her, and I really want to learn Polish so I can translate my funky heraldry book. Not sure when I'm going to fit that in!

Rosie

I always have great plans but they never seem to materialize. My oldest is creeping up to jr. high and I know that I cannot procratinate any longer.

I am attempting to go through Henle's Latin. This is my third attempt but I am hoping that three times is a charm. I am also going through the book suggestions for Year 7 on AO. This is what I am planning my dd to do for Gr. 7 so I am reading in preparation. I am also reading Charlotte Mason's Orginal Homeschooling Series as a help for general educational philosophy.

Guest aquiverfull

Thanks for all of your perspectives and resources listed. I'll check some of these out. :)

Elizabeth- Yes, I definitely want to be ahead of her in the years to come. I'm trying to decide on history so I can start planning and studying with that. Why does there have to be so many choices out there??

Rosie- wow, you ought to be well prepared. Good for you for starting so early. :)

Thanks again to all of you for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to share.

This is something that's really been on my mind lately too. Here's what I'm doing -

• Lit - WEM book with notes, etc, as suggested
  • History - SWB's Ancient History book :thumbup:
  • Latin - I tried valiantly to do Henle, but recently switched to First Form Latin and I'm doing much better getting through that. Very manageable for me.
  • Science was a problem area for me - math and science are my weaker areas. I really enjoyed the book The Canon - she's got a great writing style and I felt as if it gave me a good foundation to go on. I'm using a series called Wiley Self Education Guides for science now. I suspect truly sciency types would poo poo them a little :D but for a humanities type with very little science background, they have proved useful. They have one for most disciplines - biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, etc. My library has most of them, and used copies are pretty cheap through Amazon.
  • Math is my other weakness. I will have to look into LOF at earlier posters recommendations...

i have just begun the WEM, as reading the classics and historical great books has been a life-long goal for me. i have also begun reading through the Bible chronologically, and plan to just keep at it until i'm done. when he begins latin next year, i plan to attack it with him. i, too would like to read SWB's History of the Ancient World--her writing style is so appealing.

i am already learning so much from teaching him this year that i feel like i am getting my education, but i need to go deeper and do it in a grown-up way so that when he gets to the rhetoric stage i can teach him confidently.

I am trying to stay at least a year ahead of dd in all subjects. That means that I am studying Mandarin right now, both along with her and through an adult curriculum. I've read through WWE to see what I need to be looking at through 4th grade for writing. I am buying the R&S English books for grades 2-4 next month and will read through them to freshen up on my grammar. I am halfway through SWB's History of the Ancient World to prepare for starting the history cycle next year. The next thing I need to start studying is Latin. I've read a couple books this year on using inquiry methods in the elementary science classroom.

And I still feel unprepared. :lol:

I had an excellent education from public school, but not much history and no Latin. So I've learned with them. I've read every book they've read, and I've done every IEW and Latin assignment they've done.

As I posted earlier, we tried TOG, but I couldn't get around to doing my own studies that way. It's been better when I take a turn at their level, and certainly I've learned a lot.

You simply cannot go wrong utilizing The Teaching Company. They have courses on just about any subject you can imagine (except teaching languages) taught by outstanding teachers. Go browse www.teach12.com. Don't fall over in a dead faint at the prices. Every course they sell will go on a 50% - 75% sale over the course of the year. Also see if your library has some of these you can check out. TTC has courses in history (from ancient to modern for every civilization), literature, science, math, philosophy, linguistics, music, art, etc, etc. There are even some courses aimed at high school students.

I love popping in a CD or DVD while I'm [fill in the blank].

You simply cannot go wrong utilizing The Teaching Company. They have courses on just about any subject you can imagine (except teaching languages) taught by outstanding teachers. Go browse www.teach12.com. Don't fall over in a dead faint at the prices. Every course they sell will go on a 50% - 75% sale over the course of the year. Also see if your library has some of these you can check out. TTC has courses in history (from ancient to modern for every civilization), literature, science, math, philosophy, linguistics, music, art, etc, etc. There are even some courses aimed at high school students.

I love popping in a CD or DVD while I'm [fill in the blank].

Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on some of these. Unfortunately neither of the library systems I have access to carry any of them but I have already seen how great their sales are. I am hoping to go in with another few moms who will each be willing to buy a few and we can swap and get together to discuss what we are learning!

I just thought of another option - MIT has many of their courses online for free. Some only have reading lists and the syllabus, but some include video/audio lectures, tests, etc as well. The list of courses is extensive. It's all self directed and obviously you don't get credit for it, but it's a good way to learn on your own.

MIT Open Courseware

I just thought of another option - MIT has many of their courses online for free. Some only have reading lists and the syllabus, but some include video/audio lectures, tests, etc as well. The list of courses is extensive. It's all self directed and obviously you don't get credit for it, but it's a good way to learn on your own.

MIT Open Courseware

Thank you! I can't wait to check that out. :)