Menu

Do you journal regularly?

:001_smile: I do. . I'm rather obsessive about it, actually! LOL!

Although, I type my journals, because I type so much faster than I write.

How I commend you for your consistency!!!

I would love to journal regularly - but I don't. I do have a computer file into which I type thoughts occasionally - not nearly often enough.

In my favor, however, I tend to keep old e-mails until I've copied and pasted from them into that computer file the parts that I want. Ditto old letters - that is, copies of letters I wrote way-back-when and had the foresight to photocopy them before mailing them. A couple years ago I came upon them while cleaning and after reading them, decided to type various portions into my computer file, then burn the photocopies. I also have scraps of paper on which I've written things that I will eventually add to that file. But definitely not the same as journaling.

Like you, I prefer typing because it is so much faster!

So what is your motivation, or purpose, or thing that prods you to be so consistent with journaling? Any tips to motivate a wanna-be disciplined keeper of a journal?:001_smile:

To be honest, I just journal in Microsoft Word. . and then print it out and it goes in a notebook up in my room (so, actually, it's saved on my computer and in my room.) I know there are journaling programs that are more secure online (you could Google it) . . .but, my boys aren't old enough to get nosy about my journals, and my DH would *never* read my journal unless I gave it to him to read. He's really good about stuff like that. I trust him totally.

Sometimes we do journal for each other (DH and I). . it's a lot of fun!

Why do I journal? Hmm. . .Good question. I guess, first, because I LOVE to write. I write all the time. Secondly, because I always wished my parents and grandparents had journaled . . .there is so much about their lives (even the grandparents who are still alive) that I know I'll never hear verbally from them.

When I was a teenager, I desperately wanted to know what my mom's life had actually been like (I eventually got a fairly accurate picture, but not from her.). . .Anyway, I wished so badly she had journals she would give me that I could read.

I don't think it's wrong to write down things that you did or others did that were sinful choices. Here's why. . .those things are recorded all throughout the Bible. So, why should we hide them? I mean, the way I see it, is if I sin, and I write it down, then eventually in my journals, I will write about the consequences, or the way I repented and overcame the sin.

Or if someone sins against me, it is helpful if I write down how I forgave them eventually, and how the relationship worked out. . or what boundaries I needed to set, etc.

I don't believe we should "change" real life while journaling to make it sound "better" or like we are perfect. Our children and grandchildren will want to see God working in a real way in our lives. JMHO! (And I have a lot of opinions. . .:lol:)

I'm aiming to create a journal habit. I did a travel journal on our recent holiday and enjoyed it so much. I'm going to take photos and put them up on the blog in the next few days.

I am aiming for a sketching/notes/observations journal. I've been inspired by the Everyday Matters books by Danny Gregory. It's a good balance for me as I enjoy sketching and it takes the pressure off being perfect about it. My new journal arrived from book depository yesterday actually.

I journal each day. Just a little snipet of what happened that day or something I really want to remember.

I have my adopted grandma's journals and I love to read them. She had them in a box and the family gave them to me when she passed away. I treasure those because it told me so much about my childhood and staying with them.

I did a travel journal on our recent holiday and enjoyed it so much.

I used to do this LONG years ago! In that same cleaning frenzy I mentioned above, I came upon those journalings as well. What great fun we had re-reading them - and remembering some things one or the other or both of us had forgotten.

I also have the writing I did the first time we made a major (for us) move. In the letters that I had photocopied before mailing, I had also shared some things with a good friend about the moves that I incorporated for a complete, consistent story. I am SO glad I did this!

I am over-the-top glad that I kept journals for each pregnancy. Those still bring tears to my eyes when I read them or even just parts of them. I am glad there is a *record* that records our immense joy and delight, as well as the particulars of most all of the days of those wonderful nine months - and a few months following.

I typed all these up in separate computer files, too, and if memory serves, I tossed the originals for the travel stuff (but definitely kept the baby handwritten journals). One of these days, I will print them out and put them in binders - nothing fancy - just organized and contained in one designated and labeled area!

Why do I journal? Hmm. . .Good question. I guess, first, because I LOVE to write. I write all the time. Secondly, because I always wished my parents and grandparents had journaled . . .there is so much about their lives (even the grandparents who are still alive) that I know I'll never hear verbally from them.

When I was a teenager, I desperately wanted to know what my mom's life had actually been like (I eventually got a fairly accurate picture, but not from her.). . .Anyway, I wished so badly she had journals she would give me that I could read.

I don't think it's wrong to write down things that you did or others did that were sinful choices. Here's why. . .those things are recorded all throughout the Bible. So, why should we hide them? I mean, the way I see it, is if I sin, and I write it down, then eventually in my journals, I will write about the consequences, or the way I repented and overcame the sin.

Or if someone sins against me, it is helpful if I write down how I forgave them eventually, and how the relationship worked out. . or what boundaries I needed to set, etc.

I don't believe we should "change" real life while journaling to make it sound "better" or like we are perfect. Our children and grandchildren will want to see God working in a real way in our lives. JMHO! (And I have a lot of opinions. . .:lol:)

I agree with your reasons - and it still doesn't motivate me to actually sit down and do the typing! Maybe it's a discipline issue . . .:glare: Or maybe a hesitancy to commit to writing things out . . .:glare: I really don't know . . .

One thing I do know - God brings good out of everything. As I read your reasons, I thought about my mom who is currently in a nursing home, still in her right mind (thank You, Jesus), but not doing well physically and refusing any more treatment. I have written her religiously once a week for over two years now (and sometimes twice a week). The good is not only the joy she has in receiving these letters, but also, edited pertinent portions will eventually find their way into my computer file, so it's sort of like I'm doing a little journaling of our current lives.

I have also kept fairly diligent notes on ds's two bouts (the second ongoing) with cancer, including journal entries.

Maybe I'm not doing as badly as I thought - but I am definitely not consistent - and that's sad to me because there are things that I've forgotten the details that I wish I hadn't forgotten, and even some more current things are fading in detail - like a praise notebook I started some months ago with the idea to record at least three items of praise from that day - each day. Some have been recorded in said notebook. Others are on bits of scrap paper waiting to be entered. Others - well - didn't get written down.

Maybe I am just overwhelmed with other life issues right now - maybe as some situations improve I will become more diligent . . . I surely hope so.

To be honest, I just journal in Microsoft Word. . and then print it out and it goes in a notebook up in my room (so, actually, it's saved on my computer and in my room.)

I did exactly this when I was diligent about journaling. I journaled this way for about two years, and when we moved three years ago, I stopped. I really wish I had continued. I tell myself all the time to start up again! I need to get motivated!