Menu

WTM Literature List for 5th grade?

jhallworth

I have a 10 year-old advanced reader. I am struggling with what I chose for Literature this year. Because I have 6 other kids including small ones, I decided I just can't read everything with her. Due to her advanced reading ability, I bought the 150 Great Books and let her choose a book from a genre, gave her three weeks to read it, and gave her the "quiz" to check the comprehension and provide a discussion platform.

It's not going well. She feels that some of the books, although listed as easy in that book, are to difficult for her. She's having a hard time getting into them. I'm not sure if that is because these books are not the "Harry Potter" exciting books that she likes to read for fun, or they really are too difficult.

Where do I find a Literature list recommended by SWB? I've seen people refer to it, but I haven't seen it. Is there a 5th or 6th grade reading list? Furthermore, what do I do with it if I don't have the time to read the books myself?

Thanks,

Jen

Do you have the book? It has a list, as Paige mentioned, but you don’t need it, you can just check out books according to the topic you are covering in history. My dd doesn’t love to read about history extensively. (We do some, both American and World.) Instead we are working through some of AO’s literature booklist as our main reading program.

If you don’t have time to read the books, could you look online for summaries of the books? You may even be able to find free literature guides.

SWB has a good list of questions to ask, some of them include the following:

Who is this book about?

What do the central characters want?

What keeps them from getting it?

How do they get what they want?

Do they have an enemy?

What do you think is the most important event in this story?

What was the most exciting part of this book?

And so on…you can also do some research on how to implement narrations and require one after every chapter, or even better, have the student do written summaries after each book. All of these ideas will help to access comprehension.

:)

Where do I find a Literature list recommended by SWB? I've seen people refer to it, but I haven't seen it. Is there a 5th or 6th grade reading list? Furthermore, what do I do with it if I don't have the time to read the books myself?

The literature lists are in SWB's book The Well-Trained Mind.

You have multiple options for "what to do with it."

You might take an hour before you choose books to do a web search on each title + "study guide" or "lesson plans". Often you can find a guide on the internet somewhere.

You could get a book that offers reading comprehension questions and book projects that can be applied to any book, like Prufrock Press' Literature Lab or IEW's Teaching the Classics.

You could assign a book report on each title.

HTH.

The book is listed as grades 7-9. Even the easy books would be for 7th graders (12-13 yo.) Even if she can read the words in them, that doesn't mean that she may have the maturity to understand them. I saw the TOC, and it seems like many of the books are not classics, also (though some are.) Many of them also deal with mature themes.

I would go with WTM instead. It is always best to read the books as well, so I would try to at least read some of them. But you can google almost any book and get a synopsis of it (even Wikipedia is helpful.) Then you know the major concepts to discuss. You don't need to discuss or test on every book, though.

Thanks for all of your input/suggestions. I do own the WTM (newest edition) and found a list of some books this morning. Don't know why I missed them before. She seems excited to try reading some of those books (she takes Greek Myth books out on her own anyway). I am going to try and have her write a summary of each book. It feels so unstructured to me, I guess that is why I"m having a difficult time. I'm a math person, can you tell?

Thanks!

Jen