Menu

I went shopping for jeans yesterday and today

Now I wear jeans from a brand called "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" or NYDJ. They are amazing. I don't know how they do it. They make me look about a size smaller but don't squeeze too hard. They have high waists that stay high, and a mild amount of elastic or spandex or something that absolutely does not sag.

:iagree: These are now my favorite jeans! Does anyone know where to find them other than Nordstrom? They are so pricey there. I'll have to check out Lee, too.

Now that I've given that info for those who can't find St. John's Bay, I was wondering what kind of shape St. John's is geared for, and what height range the ultra tall is for. I'd love to find jeans that go higher toward my waist. However, since the population base around her tends toward more petite women and not so many tall women, I'm not sure if I can find it in Penney's here, but I could look online if it's for the right shape. (not curvy like my dd, and after having 3 dc and approaching the half century mark, things have been somewhat rearranged.)

I'm 6" 2' and like the waist above the hips, below the belly button. I've got a broad backside but am relatively thin sideways, I have "old man butt," it's pretty flat. :glare: I do find that these jeans tend to have a gap in my lower back if I don't wear a belt. So I assume that if you had a bit more "junk in the trunk" you'd fill it out nicely. You can order from JC Penny's online, if you do, just do a Google search, I'm always getting coupons for online orders, if you can find one that'd be a bonus!

I'm 6" 2' and like the waist above the hips, below the belly button. I've got a broad backside but am relatively thin sideways, I have "old man butt," it's pretty flat. :glare: I do find that these jeans tend to have a gap in my lower back if I don't wear a belt. So I assume that if you had a bit more "junk in the trunk" you'd fill it out nicely. You can order from JC Penny's online, if you do, just do a Google search, I'm always getting coupons for online orders, if you can find one that'd be a bonus!

Thanks. I'm 4 inches shorter than you and have straight hips with all my post-baby, post-40 weight in the front rather than the back (I hadn't heard of it being called the old man butt before, but it's flat just like my mother's was when she was my age. I call it "all gut & no butt".) Sounds like the wrong build. No wonder it's so hard to find jeans that fit; we're all built in so many different ways :).

Everything--- waist, hips, thighs....Lands' End is a GREAT company to deal with, in my experience.

astrid

Thanks. I'm going to write this down, and when I have more money for jeans, I'll call them. I'll bet that they custom make them here in the US rather than overseas, too, which is a plus. My only question is the rise, of course, because that's the biggest problem I have outside of the regular shape issue we all seem to have. I met someone today who buys men's Levi's; she even knows which ones are made here. But that's what fits her now, but I don't think I could fit into men's jeans because I still have a waist, albeit one that's a few inches higher than it used to be.

:iagree: These are now my favorite jeans! Does anyone know where to find them other than Nordstrom? They are so pricey there. I'll have to check out Lee, too.

But, they have lasted and lasted--at least in my experience. I usually try to find them at the half yearly sale. We have a Nordstrom Rack around here, but I have not found them there. I don't know where else to look.

I am not 9 feet tall.

I prefer my back end to be covered in its entirety.

I did not come home with any new jeans.

:crying:

That is all I have to say about it.

I feel you. I'm short, with a small (um...slightly expanding) waist and a big backside. Most jeans don't even cover my crack (not even half). I get about a 3-4 inch gap. There. I said it.

I must be really strange because I have no issues with swimsuits. They fit me. I have such problems with jeans or pants in general. I am 5'6", overweight but curvy with a long torso. The swimsuits fit because they cling. The jeans are made of much stiffer material and if they fit my hips, they don't fit my waist. I have compromised the waist by getting a 16W and wearing a belt but then I can't find those either. 18's normally fit my hips but are so large in the waist that even a belt makes them look funny. I also don't like clinging legs since I have nerve issues too and tight clothes don't make that better. I was so happy to have found a 16w about a month ago and I went in to try it and I couldn't even get it on. I took it off and thought at first I must have gained a lot of weight. BUt then I looked on the inside label. It was a size 8 while the big outside label said size 16W.

But, they have lasted and lasted--at least in my experience. I usually try to find them at the half yearly sale. We have a Nordstrom Rack around here, but I have not found them there. I don't know where else to look.

Thanks, Carol! Just as I suspected.:glare:

This site: Bebeautiful has some screaming (read $20 w/ 10% off and free shipping) deals if you don't mind summer closeouts.

This looks promising! I'll have to bookmark this --thx!

I am not 9 feet tall.

Talbot's petites. Those are the only jeans I will wear anymore. I get them when they have their big sales. You can find casual styles, dressy styles, and everything in between. The petites are just the right inseam for me, I am 5'5". The waist band is not too high and not too low. The quality is high - I have been wearing one pair for at least 2 years and they still look great. They have a little stretch to them, so you can bend over, squat, etc, but they don't get baggy in the knees.

Give them a try, if you have a store nearby.

Guest Cindie2dds
I am not 9 feet tall.

:grouphug: This and bathing suit shopping should all be done in the privacy of one's home so crying can be uninterrupted with chocolate!

All of them? I am not joking. I have always worn Levi's because the "shorts" always fit me. 'Tis not so, anymore.

Here's the problem. I am 5'4". I usually wear a 6 short in Levi's (my favorite go-to brand of jeans). The sizing is ridiculous because in some other brands I'm as big as a 10 or as small as a 4, which is ... no words for the twisted logic that decides jeans sizes.

My favorite Levi's have some Don't-Go-Out-In-Public holes in them so I need to replace them. I went to Kohls and tried the same size, same jean. Now the same size is 6 inches too long and too wide in the waist. Fine. So, I tried several different styles (everything Kohls had to offer); some looked very promising what with the higher waist than the Super Low Rise that usually dons the racks. ALL OF THEM that fit in the waist were at least 4-8 inches too long. :glare: And the "short" versions of the ones that actually were the right length (Ladies, I am SO not a size 4 :lol:) didn't allow any room to, ahem, tuck anything from the front! I have a baby belly and I need a little forgiveness there, or at least some room to adjust the extra, or else I've got the muffin top. And I can't have the muffin top! With the waist in the ones that had the right leg length not reaching much past my pubic bone, well...good grief. And I can't even bring myself to speak about the Junior's Dept (where I went as a last resort hoping maybe because juniors were still growing, perhaps the jeans would be a tad shorter...), other than to say children are bred to be very, very tall and exceptionally thin these days.

Who carries Land's End? The closest outlet we have here is about 1 1/2 hrs away.

I will definitely look at the others suggested here once I get my will to ever get dressed again back.

I have no suggestions, but another :grouphug: here.

My biggest pet peeve is when I find jeans I love, love, love and I go back to buy them in a different wash. Same size, same style - just different fabric - and they don't fit. :confused: You shouldn't have to try on every pair of jeans in every color to determine if they really mean the sizing.

Good luck.

I have had great luck buying jeans from my local women's boutique. I have a pair that never had to be hemmed, but I find that most designer jeans are meant to be hemmed (only costs about $10 around here) and last and last. I also have a pair from the gap that I had hemmed and they've been almost as good as my pricey jeans.

Find a good tailor!

Margaret

Bra shopping is the worst! Size variation not only between different brands but between different styles of the same brand. :rant:

If I could afford it, I'd go to Lady Grace and have their pro pick out all my bras for me...

You are not KIDDING! I bought a bra that I LOVE at Victoria's Secret. I went back, bought what I thought was the exact same bra. NO!!!! IT WASN'T!!!! 3 exchanges later I finally have a bra. GRRRRRRR!!!!!:banghead:

For anyone in my same boat, I have to say, I found what I was looking for on Kohls.com in the form of Levi's 512. They have a nice measurement tool to help decide. The 'shorts' are a 30" inseam. Two different styles of that number worked; the short bootcut and the Perfectly Slimming Bootcut. My original fav's were 512 bootcut, but my local store didn't carry the same jean anymore. And the Perfectly Slimming Bootcut, well, those are some fancy pants!

My package arrived from Eddie Bauer yesterday. 2 of the 4 were okay, not as high rise as I would prefer though. The petite sizing was a good size, not too short. I often have trouble with regular length being too long and petite being to short. My fav was the flannel lined one, I've never been able to find a pair that looked decent on me until now.

Ok I hate jean shopping and seem to be doing far too much of it since my metabolism kicked in recently. But I did find before I got to small for them that dress barn had some great jeans. I had tried on 30 pair (the kids kept count) before I tried there. I loved them for being the perfect rise, etc. Good luck.

Melissa

My package arrived from Eddie Bauer yesterday. 2 of the 4 were okay, not as high rise as I would prefer though. The petite sizing was a good size, not too short. I often have trouble with regular length being too long and petite being to short. My fav was the flannel lined one, I've never been able to find a pair that looked decent on me until now.

Right. I've almost given up on finding a pair with a high enough rise, but as long as they're basically comfortable, I'm happy.

For anyone in my same boat, I have to say, I found what I was looking for on Kohls.com in the form of Levi's 512. They have a nice measurement tool to help decide. The 'shorts' are a 30" inseam. Two different styles of that number worked; the short bootcut and the Perfectly Slimming Bootcut. My original fav's were 512 bootcut, but my local store didn't carry the same jean anymore. And the Perfectly Slimming Bootcut, well, those are some fancy pants!

I ended up buying some 512s too! I haven't worn anything this high waisted in a long time, but my middle is much smoother in these! I even bought 3 tops in my size (not extra baggy) because I don't have a mushroom with the 512s!

I am not 9 feet tall.

I bought a pair at walmart. Levis signature. Very comfy...just under your belly button...and not too long. THey had short, reg, and tall!

I recently went through the He** of trying to find a new pair of jeans. I ended up with these jeans from Target. After trying on at least 15 other brands, styles, etc, from many stores these were the ones that were the most comfortable and didn't drive me to tears. I have a butt and a gut and even with that these are comfortable. I have a 29-30 in inseam and these are a little long but not as bad as some pairs I tried.

Thanks so much for posting this...I purchased 2 prs on your recommendation and they are the first pair of jeans without a huge gap in the back...they still gap slightly but not like the others I've tried on. My mom even said I looked like I'd lost weight:D...I didn't, really!!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Blessings,

kathi

Not Your Daughter's Jeans has the BEST rise! And it stays up! And it does not gap!

For the record, I wear size 18W, and I do get them hemmed.

The other question I have, then, is do you think they will fit someone with straight hips on the sides whose postpartum post 40 body shape is "all gut & no butt" and who is 5 ft 10? The jeans I have now keep on fitting as I go up & down in weight, but not well (if I put on some pounds, there is a distinct bulge around the top). I wear about a 12/14, depending on the make.

The other question I have, then, is do you think they will fit someone with straight hips on the sides whose postpartum post 40 body shape is "all gut & no butt" and who is 5 ft 10? The jeans I have now keep on fitting as I go up & down in weight, but not well (if I put on some pounds, there is a distinct bulge around the top). I wear about a 12/14, depending on the make.

I am pretty short, only 5'4", but I do have to have mine shortened. I'm not sure whether they are long enough for you, but they are way too long for me, so I think you have a shot! All gut and no butt, check. Straight hips on the sides, check. Postpartum post 40, check. I would say they are worth a try!

I am pretty short, only 5'4", but I do have to have mine shortened. I'm not sure whether they are long enough for you, but they are way too long for me, so I think you have a shot! All gut and no butt, check. Straight hips on the sides, check. Postpartum post 40, check. I would say they are worth a try!

Thanks. I'll see if I can find them somewhere. btw, you're not short, you're average height :). However, since there are so many different builds for women it seems that there are always at least some women in every height category who have trouble with this. I think it gets harder as I go along; I don't remember having as much trouble when I was in high school and skinny.