Menu

I went shopping for jeans yesterday and today

I feel your pain. Try Old Navy mid rise...I'm long waisted and they still cover me pretty much.

I did not try there for me yet - that's a good idea. I did end up finding jeans for dd there when we couldn't find them anywhere else...

When I regain just a few ounces of my pride, I will definitely try there.

Thanks!

I recently went through the He** of trying to find a new pair of jeans. I ended up with these jeans from Target. After trying on at least 15 other brands, styles, etc, from many stores these were the ones that were the most comfortable and didn't drive me to tears. I have a butt and a gut and even with that these are comfortable. I have a 29-30 in inseam and these are a little long but not as bad as some pairs I tried.

Look for Lee jeans. I discovered them at the end of the season last year. I had just about given up. Figured it was time to wear a sack or something. :glare: I'd ordered several different styles and sizes from LLBean (dh was not happy about that expense). I'd tried on every Landsend at Sears. I'd tried Gap, Old Navy, and everything else in between.

Then there was Lee. They have several different styles to chose from. They all have a bit of stretch. And they fit. I had to try on a few different styles but most fit. THen it was a question of taste - low rise, at the waist, just below the waist, straight leg, boot cut, flare, relaxed fit, natural fit, comfort waist, etc. The ones I bought were about $25. I know Khols and Academy Sports carry them.

You found jeans for 9-foot-tall women? Really? Levi's talls are the only ones I can find that aren't high waters on me. (Before I found those, I was convinced my tombstone should read: Dead at last, it ain't no bluff / her pants were never long enough.) I want the brand names of those 9-foot-tall women's jeans, please.

I am not 9 feet tall.

I prefer my back end to be covered in its entirety.

I did not come home with any new jeans.

:crying:

That is all I have to say about it.

Isn't it the pits?? I'm taking a pair of jeans to get tailored tomorrow. Never had to do that before, but I certainly do now! :glare:

I feel your pain. Try Old Navy mid rise...I'm long waisted and they still cover me pretty much.

Do you find that the quality on the Old Navy jeans is poor? I have several pairs (because I'm cheap/poor and they are the cheapest on sale) and I don't love them. They fit fine right out of the dryer but after an hour or so they are all stretched out and feel like they are falling off. I've promised myself I won't buy them anymore. Now I just have to convince myself to spend a bit more money:glare:.

You found jeans for 9-foot-tall women? Really? Levi's talls are the only ones I can find that aren't high waters on me. (Before I found those, I was convinced my tombstone should read: Dead at last, it ain't no bluff / her pants were never long enough.) I want the brand names of those 9-foot-tall women's jeans, please.

I was going to post a request for this, too, but thought I'd better read the thread first. My girls are both 5'9' (last time we measured) and can never find jeans long enough. Have you ever tried Tall Girl? I've been thinking about ordering from there for Christmas.

To the OP: I bought jeans today (online--scary). But I bet they're not what you are looking for--plus size maternity jeans. And I'll probably have to shorten them!

Do you find that the quality on the Old Navy jeans is poor? I have several pairs (because I'm cheap/poor and they are the cheapest on sale) and I don't love them. They fit fine right out of the dryer but after an hour or so they are all stretched out and feel like they are falling off. I've promised myself I won't buy them anymore. Now I just have to convince myself to spend a bit more money:glare:.

Yep the quality is not great. :iagree:

All of them? I am not joking. I have always worn Levi's because the "shorts" always fit me. 'Tis not so, anymore.

Here's the problem. I am 5'4". I usually wear a 6 short in Levi's (my favorite go-to brand of jeans). The sizing is ridiculous because in some other brands I'm as big as a 10 or as small as a 4, which is ... no words for the twisted logic that decides jeans sizes.

My favorite Levi's have some Don't-Go-Out-In-Public holes in them so I need to replace them. I went to Kohls and tried the same size, same jean. Now the same size is 6 inches too long and too wide in the waist. Fine. So, I tried several different styles (everything Kohls had to offer); some looked very promising what with the higher waist than the Super Low Rise that usually dons the racks. ALL OF THEM that fit in the waist were at least 4-8 inches too long. :glare: And the "short" versions of the ones that actually were the right length (Ladies, I am SO not a size 4 :lol:) didn't allow any room to, ahem, tuck anything from the front! I have a baby belly and I need a little forgiveness there, or at least some room to adjust the extra, or else I've got the muffin top. And I can't have the muffin top! With the waist in the ones that had the right leg length not reaching much past my pubic bone, well...good grief. And I can't even bring myself to speak about the Junior's Dept (where I went as a last resort hoping maybe because juniors were still growing, perhaps the jeans would be a tad shorter...), other than to say children are bred to be very, very tall and exceptionally thin these days.

Who carries Land's End? The closest outlet we have here is about 1 1/2 hrs away.

I will definitely look at the others suggested here once I get my will to ever get dressed again back.

Edited by LauraGB

My jeans always have a huge gap in the back. Is that normal? My mom said it means I have scoliosis. :lol: (She tends to be a bit overly concerned about health issues.)

Oh, I am 5' 7" and jeans used to always be too short but in recent years they are getting longer. Either they are a good length or I am stepping on them.

My jeans always have a huge gap in the back. Is that normal? My mom said it means I have scoliosis. :lol: (She tends to be a bit overly concerned about health issues.)

Levi's now has a No Gap Back version, if that's helpful to you.

(I wouldn't know because my back end is as flat as a pancake...:glare:)

I'm not 9-foot tall, but I am 6'2 and I have a 36" inseam. I don't have problems finding jeans long enough anymore. Gap, Eddie Bauer, Levis all have long length jeans. The Gap jeans are often really long. I used to only buy men's jeans- it is so nice to finally be able to buy women's jeans off the shelf. Have you tried these brands?

I am not 9 feet tall.

I prefer my back end to be covered in its entirety.

I did not come home with any new jeans.

:crying:

That is all I have to say about it.

I buy jeans on line because I am not 4 feet tall:crying:. Around here you need to be average height or petite most of the time to find jeans. If there are tall ones (haven't found them yet) they'd more than likely be made for tall women who are tall because they have really long legs, rather than being tall all over like me (my legs aren't that long for my height, but they're not short, either.) I also like my back covered, too, and do the best I can. There is no way at my age I want anything showing in that area of my body! Or, for that matter, on my dd's bodies.

:iagree:I'm glad you said this b/c I always thought I was just buying them too big.:tongue_smilie: However, I'm disappointed b/c I love the price tag on Old Navy jeans. :glare:

I feel your pain. I HATE jeans shopping, and like you, generally come home empty handed. My solution has been thrift stores. They usually have a lovely selection of many different brands/styles of jeans. I take piles and piles of them to try on, and (if I'm very lucky ;)) might find a pair or two that actually fit. :tongue_smilie:

I recently went through the He** of trying to find a new pair of jeans. I ended up with these jeans from Target. After trying on at least 15 other brands, styles, etc, from many stores these were the ones that were the most comfortable and didn't drive me to tears. I have a butt and a gut and even with that these are comfortable. I have a 29-30 in inseam and these are a little long but not as bad as some pairs I tried.

I just measured and I have a 29-30 inseam, too. How is the waist? I'm short waisted (is that a word?) and sometimes a high waist is like having another set of bookshelves. But I like a waist that rests on the hips (not above, not below) so I can do the whole tuck and strategically place thing with my belly (kinda like the whole tuck-and-roll thing I have to do with my bras...but that's another thread...). I was at my Target today and didn't see these...I'm definitely open to ordering a few sizes to check into...

I wear these. I am quite over weight and these are the only jeans I've found that I actually like myself in. And they are so comfortable because they are stretch. I love them.

http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/Women/Shop/Jeans/ShopByLegStyle/Boot_Cut_and_Flare_Leg/PRD~1800273155120025/Levi+s+512+Perfectly+Slimming+Jean.jsp?off=2

THOSE are what I desperately wanted! They fit so wonderfully through the hips and waist...but they were waaay too long. Thanks for the link; I had forgotten what the number on the Levi's was that I liked. I'm going to dig around in that site to see if they have my size in "short" (which were not available where I shopped these past few days).

Edited by LauraGB

Guest janainaz
All of them? I am not joking. I have always worn Levi's because the "shorts" always fit me. 'Tis not so, anymore.

Here's the problem. I am 5'4". I usually wear a 6 short in Levi's (my favorite go-to brand of jeans). The sizing is ridiculous because in some other brands I'm as big as a 10 or as small as a 4, which is ... no words for the twisted logic that decides jeans sizes.

My favorite Levi's have some Don't-Go-Out-In-Public holes in them so I need to replace them. I went to Kohls and tried the same size, same jean. Now the same size is 6 inches too long and too wide in the waist. Fine. So, I tried several different styles (everything Kohls had to offer); some looked very promising what with the higher waist than the Super Low Rise that usually dons the racks. ALL OF THEM that fit in the waist were at least 4-8 inches too long. :glare: And the "short" versions of the ones that actually were the right length (Ladies, I am SO not a size 4 :lol:) didn't allow any room to, ahem, tuck anything from the front! I have a baby belly and I need a little forgiveness there, or at least some room to adjust the extra, or else I've got the muffin top. And I can't have the muffin top! With the waist in the ones that had the right leg length not reaching much past my pubic bone, well...good grief. And I can't even bring myself to speak about the Junior's Dept (where I went as a last resort hoping maybe because juniors were still growing, perhaps the jeans would be a tad shorter...), other than to say children are bred to be very, very tall and exceptionally thin these days.

Who carries Land's End? The closest outlet we have here is about 1 1/2 hrs away.

I will definitely look at the others suggested here once I get my will to ever get dressed again back.

Sounds like you're exactly my size. I tried on every single style of jeans at Kohls and came home with nothing but disgust. There are no words to describe the loathing one can suddenly feel from deep within. There was not one single pair of jeans that looked good. Not one. I went on a mission and I decided that I would find ONE pair of jeans that were good. Just one. So, I came in and out with my stack of jeans and I tried them all on. All of them. It was putrid.

I would LOVE to have a company that makes custom jeans. Seriously. Every woman in America knows exactly where she wants those back pockets (flaps or no flaps), what type of denim and where you want that slimming fading on the fabric, what length, what rise, etc.

I refuse to ever subject myself to trying on jeans made for juniors ever ever ever ever again. I wear like size 15 in juniors and they would have to cut a foot off of the length - it's horrible. The petite (which does not equal tiny little perfect figure - it just means short with some junk in the trunk) jeans are not young looking to me. I feel like like I'm 60. I hate Old Navy jeans. They look great off, but I always leave mad and end up at Target buying PJ's instead. I used to wear Levis 550, size 6 for short people, but now they are totally out of style and they changed up the formula just to make me dizzy and upset.

Jeans shopping is far worse than bathing suit shopping. I know what I'm dealing with in a bathing suit. But a really good pair of jeans in winter is supposed to be the cure-all for the reality of the bathing suit.

Sounds like you're exactly my size. I tried on every single style of jeans at Kohls and came home with nothing but disgust. There are no words to describe the loathing one can suddenly feel from deep within. There was not one single pair of jeans that looked good. Not one. I went on a mission and I decided that I would find ONE pair of jeans that were good. Just one. So, I came in and out with my stack of jeans and I tried them all on. All of them. It was putrid.

I would LOVE to have a company that makes custom jeans. Seriously. Every woman in America knows exactly where she wants those back pockets (flaps or no flaps), what type of denim and where you want that slimming fading on the fabric, what length, what rise, etc.

I refuse to ever subject myself to trying on jeans made for juniors ever ever ever ever again. I wear like size 15 in juniors and they would have to cut a foot off of the length - it's horrible. The petite (which does not equal tiny little perfect figure - it just means short with some junk in the trunk) jeans are not young looking to me. I feel like like I'm 60. I hate Old Navy jeans. They look great off, but I always leave mad and end up at Target buying PJ's instead. I used to wear Levis 550, size 6 for short people, but now they are totally out of style and they changed up the formula just to make me dizzy and upset.

Jeans shopping is far worse than bathing suit shopping. I know what I'm dealing with in a bathing suit. But a really good pair of jeans in winter is supposed to be the cure-all for the reality of the bathing suit.

Yes! Every single word, right down to giving up and buying pjs instead.

I like Lee comfort waist jeans. I also wear Lee side-elastic at-the-waist denim shorts. My waist is 1-2 sizes larger than my hips, so I have to buy jeans that fit my hips and are elastic at the waist. If I buy jeans/shorts that fit my waist, they look like they were made for a clown because they are so much larger than necessary on the rest of me.

I really don't like the way mid-rise or low-rise looks. They look especially bad on me, but I haven't found them to look flattering on anybody.

I just measured and I have a 29-30 inseam, too. How is the waist? I'm short waisted (is that a word?) and sometimes a high waist is like having another set of bookshelves. But I like a waist that rests on the hips (not above, not below) so I can do the whole tuck and strategically place thing with my belly (kinda like the whole tuck-and-roll thing I have to do with my bras...but that's another thread...). I was at my Target today and didn't see these...I'm definitely open to ordering a few sizes to check into...

I'm quite a bit larger than you (size 16) and am long waisted but have a definite waist so i like my jeans a little lower so they are on my hips. These sit in the right spot for that. They have some stretch and are not heavy weight and I was surprised how comfortable they are. Even if your store doesn't carry them you might be able to return them to the store if they don't work for you. I'm not sure if the length varies by size and again these were long, but didn't cover my feet entirely like some other brands I tried.

Another option I used to use is JCP Arizona jeans for juniors. I suspect their styles have changed as well and are mostly long and skinny. I also used to find Kohls brand in the junior department had a nice bootcut that wasn't overly long. I looked at our new Kohls and all the brands were skinny, long, or low.

I even tried on a pair of mens' jeans and almost bought those.

Edited by elegantlion

I hate the price, but J. Jill makes jeans for WOMEN, not waifs. I'm wearing a pair of the "authentic" fit boot cuts right now. They are stylish, modern looking, and cover me fully :) ETA: I bought them 3 years ago...they have worn WONDERFULLY, and I only have one pair, so the price is somewhat justified, just from the amount of wear...

Edited by BikeBookBread

I feel your pain....I loathe shopping for jeans. It ranks right up there with shopping for swimsuits.

Yes. And I'm curvy, with a wide rear (:glare:) and a small, long waist. I need petite length, but every pair I try on leaves me about four inches of gap between waist and jeans. So frustrating! I like Eddie Bauer too, but it's still hit or miss. Mainly, what I love about Eddie Bauer is that I can return them all to the store if they don't work!

Do you have a New York and Company in your mall? They have a style called Curvy that fits really well. They also come in 3 different lengths. I am 5'1" and happen to have a bottom. These jeans fit really well.

My dd is a size 0 but is curvy. She can wear the jeans from the teen store Delia's. She wears a 30 inch inseam, & Delia's has inseams from either 26 or 28 until well into the 30s. Of course, you have to like the teen styles, but dd hates destroyed jeans, etc, and manages to find some she likes.

For ladies looking for tall jeans, I wear St. John's Bay in Ultra Tall, they come in a 36" inseam. You can get them through J.C. Penney. I about cried when I found them!

I buy jeans from Eddie Bauer, the natural fit. I have them hemmed, though, becuase I don't need an inseam that long, but I need the rise, etc. I can't remember if the inseams come at 35 or 36 inches. Plus, I need longer than the 32 inch inseam. I wear about a 33 inch inseam, which for my height (5 ft 10) isn't terribly long. I went to Eddie Bauer because they have a variety of fits. The only thing I don't like is that even though these aren't the low cut, they are still lower than I want because I'm long waisted. However, in every other way they are the very best jean fit I can find right now. Eddie Bauer only sell tall things online or via catalogue, and they're geared for women 5 ft 8 to 5 ft 11, so they may not help those of you who are taller than that unless you're long waisted & can wear the jeans.

Now that I've given that info for those who can't find St. John's Bay, I was wondering what kind of shape St. John's is geared for, and what height range the ultra tall is for. I'd love to find jeans that go higher toward my waist. However, since the population base around her tends toward more petite women and not so many tall women, I'm not sure if I can find it in Penney's here, but I could look online if it's for the right shape. (not curvy like my dd, and after having 3 dc and approaching the half century mark, things have been somewhat rearranged.)

THOSE are what I desperately wanted! They fit so wonderfully through the hips and waist...but they were waaay too long. Thanks for the link; I had forgotten what the number on the Levi's was that I liked. I'm going to dig around in that site to see if they have my size in "short" (which were not available where I shopped these past few days).

Laura, if you find a pair of jeans you love otherwise, but they're just too long, why not hem them? It really is a fairly easy fix for a pair of jeans that you otherwise love. Or, if you're sewing-challenged, :D, you could take them too a tailor and have them hemmed; I can't imagine it would be prohibitively expensive.

I've never bought from them but have plans to as soon as I finish losing some weight. I'm currently down 22lbs and when I'm done, I'm ordering some custom jeans. Thought it might work for you now. http://www.zafu.com/

Land's end will custom make jeans for you. You can call them or shop on-line.

I feel your pain and now always purchase extras when I find a pair that fits.

Lee has short, regular and long lengths available at Walmart, and other stores.

Will they custom make everything, or just the inseam?

Oh how I loathe shopping for jeans. I've been trying to find a pair of jeans that fit me right for about 2 months now with no luck. I'm going to try the Eddie Bauer ones next.

My perfect jean- petite, high waisted (and actually stays high waisted throughout the day), stylish with a nice wash, in different styles-bootcut, straight, wide leg, etc, something that will flatten my tummy, but not my behind and with back pockets that aren't up too high. sigh.