Menu

Question for any who are knowledgable about Seventh Day Adventists

Recently in a short discussion with someone, the topic of Seventh Day Adventists came up. I don't know much at all about this group, and during the conversation, this person said that SDAs were a cult in his belief.

Well, this was said in such a flippant manner that I really wonder if he knew anything about them or if he was just parroting something he's been fed.

So, dear friends, enlighten me. I will appreciate and respect responses from all, but the more objective the response, the better.

Thanks so much!

Btw, one SDA that I know of and really admire is Dr. Ben Carson, author of Gifted Hands, The Big Picture, Think Big, and his new one Take the Risk.

Great books everyone should read, especially teenagers.

we have a SDA hospital in our town, and an active church. They are a great group.

They are technically not considered a cult because they affirm the traditional orthodox creeds (ie they believe in the Trinity). They do have an extra book that they consider inspired (given by direct revelation). That book is more like an interpertive guide; it doesn't actually add to scripture, but rather it is the lens they interpert everything through.

There is the teaching in the SDA that all who worship on Sunday are following the devil (I believe they say something along the lines that it is the mark of the beast). But I haven't met anyone who really believes that.

There are some other "cultish" qualities (why some might consider them a cult). They tend to be veggaterians, something about eating only foods allowed before the flood. They tend to be very health conscience and into more alternative and natural remedies.

I have a few friends in the SDA. They are chirstians who love the Lord and are seeking to follow Him according to His Word.

HTH

Kim

I live about two miles from the SDA World Headquarters. :-)

We have a good friend recently graduated from an SDA seminary and pastoring as pulpit supply while searching for a church home. They are Christians. They have some odd ideas, but not a cult. They can be legalistic. I think someone who flippantly calls them a cult is reacting to the church's official stance on those who worship on Sunday - but I agree with prior poster who said she didn't know anywone who believed that - even my pastor friend doesn't believe that me and my family are going to hell because we worship on Sunday. He' has worshiped at my church (on Sunday) WITH us before. LOL.

We have a big 7th Day Adventist community in our town. They seem like normal christians to me. Their differences seem to be within the range of what you'd find visiting any denomination other than your own. I've never had an unkind experience with them.

As a former SDA, I will say this -

The SDA church believes that the Catholic Church is a "cult" because the Catholic Church believes (or so the SDA believes that they believe) that if a member leaves the Catholic Church, that person will be d*mned.

In the same way, the SDA church believes that *once you have been "enlightened" to the "truth" of the Mark of the Beast* and have joined the SDA church, that if you leave that "truth" and turn your back on "Sabbath-keeping" (the seal of God), you will be d*mned.

So, while no SDA member would ever tell a Sunday-keeper (their vernacular), "I think you're going to h*ll," they DO believe that those who *know* all the SDA doctrines and refuse to worship on the Sabbath will not be saved.

I don't know if their definition of a cult is correct of not - my dictionary doesn't seem to differentiate between any group of people who follow a religion (whether they be SDA's or Baptists) and groups of people whom our culture normally labels "cults" such as Moonies, etc. But, despite the fact that the church is filled with very loving, wonderful people, many of its beliefs are oppressive and, one could argue, heretical. It is a very difficult place to leave, because as a member you really do sincerely believe that if you ever doubt the church's view on Sabbath-keeping, that you will be condemned.

Rhonda,

I messaged the OP with a reply that basically mirrored yours. I didn't realize you were a former SDA. Do you realize the exit I told you about when we thought we might meet up that time was in the middle of a HUGE SDA community?? Being Catholic here is rather interesting, to say the least. ;)

There have been huge billboards around our area for yrs stating that Sunday worship is the mark of the beast. Catholics are definitely part of the beast. They used to come to our door quite a bit, but no longer. I would always invite them in and engage them in conversation. It was immediately obvious to me that they had never encountered Catholics who are really knowledgeable about theology and scripture. (not surprising considering we are less that 0.1% of the local population.) I think they stopped coming b/c I had them leaving with too many questions of their own. :o

I also sincerely believe they are Christian. I do believe they are misguided and have no accurate historical understanding of Christianity. I have to say that they do have some great vegan stores that I love to shop for produce. :)

Ironically, the Church views itself as the only source of Christianity b/c Christ established His Church with Him as the head and we as His Body. Not an establishment of many churches. Therefore, if compared to math, Catholicism is the complete set and other denominations are subsets that embrace partiality of the revealed truth with only the Catholic church encompassing It all. BTW.....I only say ironically b/c Protestants would be horrified by the concept. ;)

OH, yes - we visited Collegedale several times while we were SDA. And even before that when you had mentioned being Catholic and being near Chattanooga, I thought, "oh, boy, for her!" =) and said a prayer for you!

Actually, I do still keep to some things which are considered "SDA" theology. Only, I do not hold any belief very tightly that isn't pure scripture.

Oh, there is so much more I could say (I will always regret not choosing FIAR for my oldest's Kindergarten just because "Ellen White said" not to read fictional stories to your dc!), but I will just say that I have to trust that God leading us to (and out of) that place must have been for a purpose - just as He is leading you to a new place. I do wish I had been a bit more adamant with my dh about setting a definite time to meet you - but I am so happy for you and your son and the opportunity he has.

Oh, my - if my Strong's concordance was here I could do this better. But, I do want to reply because that is exactly what I said to the person who introduced me to the SDA Church. And her response was, "Oh, really? Well, if you could find that and let me know, I'd be so interested to know where that is." And I was thinking, "Well, golly, everybody knows that," and started reading in Acts, and couldn't find it.

And, truth be told, in Acts, the church was still very much considered a Jewish sect - which is why Paul would habitually go to the synagogues on the Sabbath. I did find the verse about "setting aside something" on the first day of the week, but then I realized that "setting something aside" to be given to the poor in Jerusalem didn't necessarily mean the Christians were "worshipping" on that day.

And, then there is the story about Paul preaching on the first day of the week until midnight. But, midnight of the "first day of the week" is technically midnight of Saturday night, because the first day of the week lasts from sundown Sat. night until sundown Sun. night. And, of course, Paul traveled the next morning, which would be Sunday morning - and if the church were keeping Sunday "holy", he would not have traveled on that day.

Part of the problem in translation is that many Christians believe the solemnity of the Sabbath was transferred to Sunday, and modern Americans think that going to church on Sunday morning from 11am - 12pm is "keeping" the day "holy".

But no where in scripture is the solemnity of the day transferred. The Sabbath as a day was a shadow of the rest that the Christian experiences in Christ. (The Christian no longer "works" for his salvation by trying to keep the law, as the sacrifice for sin has been completed once and for all. Therefore, we abide - or rest - in Christ's righteousness alone.)

I personally do not think God cares when or where you worship if you worship in Spirit and in Truth. SDA's would agree - this is why they will worship on Sunday (believe me, this is usually a "I visited your church, now won't you visit mine?" ploy.) The Old Testament holiness of the Sabbath involved a complete cessation of secular activity - not just "church" for a few hours, and the SDA tries to revive this.

I can't think of how best to tie up all these loose ends. My 2yo dd has a fever, and my dh just walked in, and the house is a mess, so I must go. If you'd like to email me, that might be best.

Praying you read this as unemotionally as a I tried to post it!

rhonda bee @ comcast . net

Question. This is not to stir up anything. I promise! Just a question.

The apostles in the New Testament church came together on the first day of the week. I don't *think* there are any examples of them worshiping on the Sabbath. Why would this be considered the mark of the beast according to some?

I had typed a long reply and my movers disconnected my internet connection and when I reconnected it, my reply was lost. Here is a brief summation of what I had originally typed......

Early Christians, mostly Jews, actually celebrated 2 different ways on 2 different days. They celebrated the "Liturgy of the Word" on the Sabbath as they always had and then celebrated the "Breaking of the Bread" (as Christ commanded when He said "Do this in remembrance of Me.") or in modern Catholic terminology, the "Liturgy of the Eucharist," on the Lord's Day (Sunday, the day of His Resurrection and victory over death) Over a very short period of time (I think by 60AD) the 2 liturgies were being celebrated as a single day of worship.

Catholic Masses mirror that merging. The first 1/2 of the service is the Liturgy of the Word or scripture readings and a homily (1 OT reading, followed by a Psalm, followed by a NT reading, followed by a Gospel reading). The 2nd 1/2 of the service is the Liturgy of the Eucharist (the Last Supper/Breaking of the Bread).

I skimmed this link and it seems to give an accurate assessment of what I have learned over the yrs. http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9902fea1.asp

For more understanding of the celebration of the Eucharist, try http://webpages.marshall.edu/~trimbol3/4thcup4.htm

HTH

I do wish I had been a bit more adamant with my dh about setting a definite time to meet you - but I am so happy for you and your son and the opportunity he has.

I really regret our not meeting too. I had really hoped that we would have a WTMers meet-up this yr.

I would still like to meet you sometime. :) If you guys are every studying the Civil War and plan on trips to VA, let me know!

• 1 year later...

I went searching for the last discussion about the Sabbath, but ran into this thread instead.

A few things I feel compelled to point out.

As far as I know, those giant billboards posted around certain college towns (TN isn't the only location), are paid for by some off-shoot group, one that regularly leaves SDA communities cringing. (One might think of this in the same terms as the LDS off-shoots around the four corners area.)

Many of the beliefs listed in this thread about SDAs are somewhat erroneous, probably as a result of personal experience within a particular church group or sort of subset of SDAs. One end of the practicing spectrum is likely to refuse to wear make-up or jewelry, in some cases won't pay taxes, read fiction, or eat any kind of dessert, and will probably be vegan. The other is as opposite from the first as you can imagine any group of people to be.

More information as to particular beliefs.

Hope that helps some. :)

Anyone else know where that other thread on the Sabbath went? IIRC, it had some great stuff in it.